1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Fusion Firearms

Old 05-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Got my new Fusion Scout today

Picked her up today and WOW barrel, slide and frame fit are fantastic.

Already got the sights fitted and the rest of my parts ordered. Going to be a GREAT gun.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 AM

Common courtesy requires for posts stating you have a new gun/parts/modifications/parts
Old 05-05-2012, 05:01 PM

Congrats smallpatch, now post some photos.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Pictures or it never happened lol. Congrats though. I'm really looking forward to mine too!
Old 05-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Got the trigger, thumb safety, sights, and grip safety fitted (not yet blended)waiting for the internal parts to arrive from Brownell's.
Will try to get photos soon.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM

If you take your time and do everything right...you're gonna love it!!!

In the finishing stages with a Scout in 10mm right now....accurate doesn't begin to describe it!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:20 PM

OK Guys,

I need your help. Got all the internals fitted, new mag well, grip safety, etc. Great trigger pull, everything fitted up nice.

Problem.... grip safety was sloppy on the original kit, so I fitted a new EGW oversize one. It helped a lot, looks great, feels great...... BUT, when I put it all together, and squeeze the grip safety, (it functions right), it won't pop out of the frame again. I have to force it back out. I've blacked everything, and I can't find anything rubbing.

Any where I haven't looked??

HELP!!!

Last edited by smallpatch; 05-25-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

How about the bottom of the grip safety to mainspring housing tangs. Any rub?

The obvious place to look first is the blocking arm to trigger bow area. What I would do is take all the ignition parts out and see if you have full travel with just the empty frame. If it has full travel with no parts in it, you can probably focus on the blocking arm. It might be held captive by the trigger bow or may be too long or too thick and is jamming up on the inside of the frame. I think your blocking arm is either too long or too thick in your case.

After that, you gotta look at less obvious places.

Last edited by custom2; 05-25-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, it looks like you are doing a nice job blending the safety. I would suggest you stop blending it untill you have got it to function 100 percent. Things could change from where you have it now.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 PM

Looking very, very good. Keep us posted please.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM

Thanks Custom2,

Here's where I am. I've radiused the blocking arm. It was rubbing a little on the frame. Did not fix it. I've polished and smoothed, and it's still doing it. Not quite as much. If you just push it in gently with your thumb, it's smooth, and cams in and out like it should. But, if you grip it, or push it in forcefully, it sticks. I've blacked it over and over, stoned, and filed, any marks off, and it is better..... but it still sticks. I'm totally baffled.
You're right.... I thought it was right, so I blended it in..... not realizing it was going to stick. Hopefully, I can blend it, when it is functioning right.

Last edited by smallpatch; 05-25-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Take a black marker and blacken the back of the safety where it meets the frame. The back of the safety is suppose to stop on the frame before the tip of the blocking arm can hit the that part of the frame. On the last EGW safety I fit, I had to chamfer the back surface of it to get it to swing free. I will post a pic of the area I'm talking about on a take off safety I have down stairs.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Blacken this area and check for wear marks. You may need to chamfer this edge.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:15 PM

Custom2,
i got it. It was rubbing on that right back edge. I ended up filing it at a bit of an angle, smoothed the frame there some as well. Works like a charm.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

No problem bud. It took me a while to figure that out when I fit mine too.

Glad to help.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:27 PM

OK, I took the pistol out to the range today (sans grips), just to see what it would do. Offhand, i tore a raggedy hole about 1 1/2" x 3" till there just wasn't any more paper to tear out. Wow, will a well fitted pistol shoot!!!!
Can't wait to finish her up, and get down to business!!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Any new updates?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:21 PM

Custom2,
One more thing to throw at you.... I'm not totally happy with the ejector/slide fit on my Scout. There is a slight gap on top of both steps of the ejector. It works great, and probably wouldn't be a big deal, but I plan on serrating the back of the slide/ sight before I finish it. With that gap, it seems like it will screw up the flow of the serrations if it doesn't line up exactly right.
I bought a new Wison extended ejector, and low and behold, it's exactly the same as the one in the Fusion. Is there an oversized one that I can purchase and re-fit to fill that small gap, or am I just being a bit too anal??
Thanks for your help thus far.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Try an EGW ejector. You may be able to file it to fit tighter. EGW parts are usually oversized in all the right places.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:50 PM

Well, here's where we are right now. I fitted a S&A magwell, and it just didn't fit right. Wasn't square with the frame and just looked like an add-on.
SOOOOOOOOOOO, I dropped it off at ROBAR to have a Weld on magwell added and some final serrations done, then have the whole thing NP3'd.

Will be a few weeks till I get it back, and will post MANY photos.
Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Dane (Smallpatch) Lund
Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Is this your first build or are you experienced at building your own guns? Are you concerned about going this route vs. hiring a veteran gunsmith? I just ordered the same thing and I am looking forward to the experience, I am praying it wasn't a mistake. What a great experience to build a high end 1911!
Kimber Team Match II, SA Trophy Match Longslide, Colt XSE, SigSauer 1911, Ed Brown Classic Custom, Les Baer BOSS, Nighthawk T3, Sams Custom Gunworks Long Slide 10mm, S&W 945 Performance Shop (close but not a real 1911)
Ordered: Pistol Dynamics Combat Special Evo, Caspian Damascus Long Slide 10mm, Fusion Pro-Series Commander
Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 PM

No, I'm not concerned. I've never built one from scratch before, that's why I went with the fusion. All the hard fitting is done. I currently am building my 40th Pennsylvania/Kentucky long rifle, so while this is a different beast, I have LOTS of experience with fitting, and thought I'd build my own. Done a lot of minor parts change outs, so i took the plunge.
I was a bit unhappy with the fit of the beavertail grip safety, so I installed an EGW oversized and it fits nicely. Wanted a magwell, but like I said before, the S&A just didn't fit well, and looked like an add on, so I went with the weld on.

It's all complete, save the magwell, and metal finish. I shot it without grips a couple of weeks ago, and will shoot one ragged hole round after round.

Can't wait till it's back so I can post photos, and put some rounds down range.

Dane (Smallpatch) Lund
Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 AM

Hey small patch. How do you like this pistol. Any regrets?