1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Shot A Couple of FEGs Tuesday

SA85M with AMD65 'Snake Brake' and PJK-9HP with thin grips.

Had the AKM since '96 and the HP since about '03. That brake is on there because it really works. The pistol looks better with the original grips which are just a little darker than the rifle wood, but I need slim grips on a HP.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Nice pair 1saxman.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Right nice indeed.

JayPee
Old 04-21-2012, 11:44 AM

1Saxman,

I dunno. Those grips look really good - are they Spegels?

That's a fine brace of FEGs you have there!

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 04-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Grip story; I found those 'no-name' grips on a rotating display stand at a local gun show years ago. I surmise they are of Asian make, and they are hand-checkered. I had to do a little tweaking but now they stay tight. They were $35, and I handed it over reluctantly, but later was glad to get them. The thing about them is, they are flat, with no palm swell. If Spegel would make a similar set, I would get them, but these are the only ones I have found like that. Here's and old picture of them and a pic of the originals, which are put away.That's a Browning 69C on top and the PJK-9HP below. And last but not least, the third FEG - a SA2000M 'AMD65'.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 PM

Nice grips, for sure.
I looks to me like you have lucked out all around - or maybe you make your own luck.
Thanks for posting the pics!

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 04-21-2012, 11:18 PM

1 Saxman,

I'm slow, but it occurs to me to ask - since you are in a position to know - how does your FEG compare to the 69C??? The 9mm FEG, I mean :-)

Old 04-22-2012, 08:48 AM

Well, the 69C is no doubt a nicer pistol in every category, but the FEG is basically the same form, fit and function. I sold the 69C during my last 'anti-HP' phase, because it was too nice to shoot and I wanted the money for another gun. The FEG, while having a beautiful polished blue job, is still coarser/cruder than the Browning - machining marks, trigger pull, etc. Also, a big difference is the grip frame - thicker front-to-rear behind the trigger. This makes the grip feel bigger than a Browning, because it is. You can see this extra material in my pix. If I were to ever refinish an FEG HP, I would correct that area. But with all that, it's still the best HP copy and is built with the typical FEG 'military' quality. The bottom line, at least to me, is there is no substitute for a Browning/FN, but if you don't care about that and for whatever reason want a very close clone with the same form, fit and function, the FEG is what you're looking for.
I'm very happy with mine since I polished the feed ramp, worked on the trigger, found the thin grips and secured the trigger pin. These are things that one might have to do on any HP. I think it's really too bad FEG got out of the gun business.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Well, the 69C is no doubt a nicer pistol in every category, but the FEG is basically the same form, fit and function. I sold the 69C during my last 'anti-HP' phase, because it was too nice to shoot and I wanted the money for another gun. The FEG, while having a beautiful polished blue job, is still coarser/cruder than the Browning - machining marks, trigger pull, etc. Also, a big difference is the grip frame - thicker front-to-rear behind the trigger. This makes the grip feel bigger than a Browning, because it is. You can see this extra material in my pix. If I were to ever refinish an FEG HP, I would correct that area. But with all that, it's still the best HP copy and is built with the typical FEG 'military' quality. The bottom line, at least to me, is there is no substitute for a Browning/FN, but if you don't care about that and for whatever reason want a very close clone with the same form, fit and function, the FEG is what you're looking for.
I'm very happy with mine since I polished the feed ramp, worked on the trigger, found the thin grips and secured the trigger pin. These are things that one might have to do on any HP. I think it's really too bad FEG got out of the gun business.
How much are the FEGS going for now,my friend has one and I kind of like them.He gave $350.00 used a few years ago.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM

About ten months ago I found a PJK 9HP new in the box (made in 1992) and paid a premium price of $430 for it. It is an unusually nice gun and I don't regret the purchase at all. It is as accurate as any Browning I've owned. One in excellent condition will command up to $375-$400-ish, lesser examples down as far as $225-$250. Here it is:

And I certainly agree with 1Saxman's comments above....he's written an unusually good commentary on these guns.

JayPee

Last edited by jaypee; 04-22-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:09 PM

1Saxman,

Thank you for the comparison of the 2 Hi Powers. I had forgotten that the grip dimensions were different on the FEG. I had read that somewhere long ago but it had slipped my mind.

I have seen several FEGS recently at some gun stores and gun shows.
According to my Mk 1 mod 59 trigger finger, the FEGs had better trigger pulls than the recent FN HPs I've seen. I just bought a FN SFS 40 that has a trigger pull that must be over 10 lbs. After 2 boxes of ammo I had a blister. I can't wait to get it to Old George for a C&S trigger.
Perhaps one day I will find one of the rare FEG HP 40s to compare with the FN.
I saw a .45ACP FEG at a gun show a few weeks ago, but it was built on the S&W double action type trigger system and looked like a S&W M-39 on steroids. It was interesting though and the guy let me fondle it and take a photo. Good luck getting parts though.

FEGs are interesting and perplexing to me. I have yet to own one, so I have no intensive hands on experience, although i have seen many and shot a few.
The first FEGS I saw in the mid 80s were dreadful. They had poor "blued" finishes and had horrendous trigger pulls that felt like they were made of gravel parts.
My pal that owned a gunstore took his and stuffed it with Browning parts and it ran good but still looked like heck.

The latest FEGs I've seen have been excellent. A local FFL guy tried to tempt me with a NIB sample for $300 - but I was looking for an HP 40 at the time. The thing was, it had the best trigger pull (smooth take up and a crisp 4lbs or so) and the nicest bluing on any NIB Hi Power that I've ever seen.

Also, although the vent ribbed FEG HPs are rare, I've seen them since the mid 80s just about as often as I see the non-vented FEGs. -Saw one just last Thursday, in fact.
So, if only about 500 were imported, then I've seen about 100 of them. -Or maybe I've just seen the same one over and over and over again...

Last edited by Burgs; 04-22-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
1Saxman,

Also, although the vent ribbed FEG HPs are rare, I've seen them since the mid 80s just about as often as I see the non-vented FEGs. -Saw one just last Thursday, in fact.
So, if only about 500 were imported, then I've seen about 100 of them. -Or maybe I've just seen the same one over and over and over again...
The 500 figure is just the number of these vent ribbed pistols imported by Kassnar Imports from 1985 - '87. I have also seen them with other importers' stamps on them, so I believe the total number imported is quite a bit more than 500. I can't provide any numbers, but given the frequency with which they are seen, I think there must be quite a bunch of them out there. Just as an aside, when seen in Kassnar markings, their model number will be PJK-9HP, but when imported by others they usually carry the factory model number, which is FP 9. And yes, I too have seen the Kassnar/KBI model number of PJK-9HP stamped on pistols having other importers' markings on them - short answer.... the factory screwed up.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:58 PM

Somebody stop me! I just won another FEG on GB. A very nice PA63 9x18MAK, as-new. I liked this one one because it has the FEG logo on the slide just like my others and it also is a KBI import. This is it, though. I only got it because I have been thinking about getting one for years. I had a Bersa .380 once and liked it, so I thought I would like this. I keep creeping toward an FEG collection but I really don't want to go there - as far as I know, there are no more of them in my future.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:08 AM

Nice PA-63! I had one a couple years ago, and it was a monster as far as recoil goes with that aluminum frame. The aluminum frame also makes it a delight to carry, and I found it pretty accurate. Mine only had a couple FTF's in the first 50 rounds and then was totaly reliable. Good luck, and possibly check into shooting gloves for range practice, it beat up the web of my hand.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'm already used to an even lighter Kel Tec 9mm, the P-11. But, others have told me about a spring trick to mitigate some of the recoil (and I will be shooting the slightly hotter HPs) - a Wolff extra- strength recoil spring and hammer spring.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:37 PM

I've enjoyed reading all these helpful HP tips on this site. Now you've posted photos of my favorite carry piece. One of my two PA 63's has the flat non thumb rest left panel for inside belt line carry. After carrying it for over three years, I can't see wanting the extra carry weight of my FM. The Wolff kit reduced the dbl action trigger pull by more than half. The large Hogue hand-all slip on grip makes the gun feel even better in my larger hands. Being so close in size to the 380, the 9x18 kicks more like a lighter load 9mm and its 50 yard accuracy is pretty scary. Shooting these two for almost 20 years and hundreds of rounds, there's no sign of any stress cracks to the frames.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:55 PM

Just bought this R61 off GunBroker.

It fills a hole that was in my 9x18 collection. I can't wait to get it home.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:05 PM

Bret,
While you're waiting, order the Wolff spring set. Makes such an improvement to the double action.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Marschal's grips in Hungary has some very nice and flat PA63 grips - and others too.

http://www.marschalgrips.com/?conten...e=pa63grips-lo
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JoyBoy View Post
While you're waiting, order the Wolff spring set. Makes such an improvement to the double action.
As far as I can see on their website, Wolff doesn't make springs for this pistol. I do have their springs in my PA-63.