1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 05-06-2012, 03:38 PM

Bullets and primers?

I just recently picked up powder. Win 231 to be specific. And I'm trying to figure out is it cheaper to order the primer and bullets online or get local? After shipping it gets pricing pretty close. Can anyone point me in some direction? I have almost all my supply's and have read my books. So Im getting my building supplies now.

Local I can get
Win 231 $21 1lb
Rem brass 100 $28
Hornady 100 round nose 230grn $23
Primers I haven't found locally.

All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:42 PM

Have you figured in hazmat fees for the primers? Generally this is $25-$35 for up to a certain amount of primers or a certain total weight of powders. This is not a factor if you are buying in bulk, but can double the price if one is only ordering 1000 primers.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:44 PM

Everyone here will tell you to order in bulk, its really the only way to cover the dreaded HAZMAT cost. Unless you have some place local with decent pricing.

Want to save some money?
Lead bullets or casting.
Russian primers
Old 05-06-2012, 03:45 PM

Powder Valley is a pretty well-respected source for all components. You're looking at a haz-mat flat fee per shipment ($27 ??) for powder and primers, so ordering in volume is required to get the unit prices down. The haz-mat and shipping have to be played against the sales tax paid of purchased locally.

I think the "minimum" quantities that make any sense economically, are 5000 primers, 4 lb jugs of powder, and 1000 bullets, although the bullets don't have any fees associated.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:45 PM

I buy all my components locally if possible and if the prices are close. When I buy local I have my item in my hands as I walk out the door. It also helps keep the local suppliers in business. As long as the prices are close I'll buy from mom and pop.

"I'd rather be a hammer than a nail, yes I would, if I only could, I surely would."
Old 05-06-2012, 03:48 PM

First, I suggest you consider Precision Delta for your bullets. For 230 gr FMJ you can get 1000 bullets for $130 which includes shipping. For powder and primers, I check out the various web sites for the best price. However, due to Hazmat I will order at least 8 lbs. of powder and 10,000 primers to keep costs in line.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:16 PM

I get my powder and primers locally. They are well within the normal price ranges when compared to online vendors, and so I help support their business. But bullets are another story. There is no local source around here that isn`t rediculously priced, so the online sources become my friends.

The Mans Prayer...."I am a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess."....Quoted from the Red Green Show.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:45 PM

I buy all my powder and primers local. All my bullets come off the Internet. I buy my plated bullets from www.xtremebullets.com, and www.tjconevera.com for plated bullets. For FMJ bullets check out www.precisiondelta.com. Lead bullets come from www.missouribullet.com or www.friendswoodbullet.com. Expect to wait for lead bullets since most are behind filling orders.

I have a couple local shops that deal with reloading exclusively where I can purchase primers and powder for Internet prices. My main powder/primer stop also gives a 5% discount for buying with cash. This almost cancels out taxes which are 6%. I purchase primers at $27 per 1000, or $130 per 5000. Powder runs $18/lb, $71/4lb, $137/8lb. You can buy powder and primers online at these prices or cheaper, but you need to buy in large bulk quanities to offset the hazmat fees and shipping. I did a group buy here awhile back on primers with some local reloaders when Graf and Sons had Winchester and CCI primers on sale for $119.99. Our group buy worked out where I paid about $5 extra for what I ordered instead of eating the entire hazmat fee and shipping cost.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:11 PM

^^^I do the same as above powder and primer locally,but get bullets from berrys plated,precision delta and lead ones from missouri bullet co.Plated or fmj for indoor and lead swc for outdoor.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsan View Post
powder valley is a pretty well-respected source for all components. You're looking at a haz-mat flat fee per shipment ($27 ??) for powder and primers, so ordering in volume is required to get the unit prices down. The haz-mat and shipping have to be played against the sales tax paid of purchased locally.

I think the "minimum" quantities that make any sense economically, are 5000 primers, 4 lb jugs of powder, and 1000 bullets, although the bullets don't have any fees associated.
+1
Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 PM

i'd love to support my lgs but none within 50 miles of my locale seem to have proper supplies of simple powders and primers and bullets. sign of the times, to some degree. best way to buy the bang stuff is online and in as much quantity as possible. which is why i hook up with some of my club members for a joint order.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:31 PM

I don't know of any local reloading shops by me besides bass pro. Which are high end on the price. I am able to get everything there sans primers. I don't know why I can't find them there? I got my powder at a local gun show. Was going to buy the primers also but figured I'd get a better deal online. Didn't realize the hazmat fee applied to those also. Thought it was just a powder thing.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 AM

I recently ordered 10K primers and 8# of HP38 from Powder Valley. After the shipping and Hazmat fee I saved $180 over buying local and paying sales tax. That does not count the cost of running all over town looking and picking them up.
I order my lead bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. and jacketed from Precision Delta. At the Fort Worth gun show Saturday the prices were near double these prices. At MBC you can get 2K of 200gn shipped for the flat rate of $12.75, about the same as local sales tax. PD prices include shipping.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjdgman View Post
I get my powder and primers locally. They are well within the normal price ranges when compared to online vendors, and so I help support their business. But bullets are another story. There is no local source around here that isn`t rediculously priced, so the online sources become my friends.
This is what I do as well. I would rather spent $1-$2 more on something and support my local shops. It saves me HASMAT fees, I don't have to wait for it to ship to my door, and it gives me a reason to go browse the store and see the new merchandise/see the guys that work there. Plus, if I'm in the local store quite a bit buying most of my reloading supplies there, it gives me a bit of help if I decide I want to haggle on a used gun or something else they might be inclined to work with me on.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 AM

I order about 30K primers and 16-24 lbs of powder per year.

I shop around. This year I saved myself $300 on my order by going with Wideners instead of Powder Valley.

Next year, it might be the other way around.

It pays to compare, this year it paid me $300.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM

Casting your own bullets will save tons. Recobs and powder valley are both good depending on what you are needing.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:23 PM

I'm looking into buying the casting stuff now. Now I need to know what to get.