1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 05-06-2012, 04:46 PM

Springfield 1911a1 Loaded SS Chambering issues

I bought a Sprinfield 1911a1 Loaded SS looked to be in great conditon had a few cosmetic scratches buffed out easily.

It seems to not want to chambers rounds fully 4 out of 80 rounds hung half way . Thought it was Mag issues used them in another 1911 with no issues stripped and cleaned throughly not vey dirty .. the slide spring seemed weak so i ordered a OEM spec 16lb. spring

should arrive any a few days

Any thing else i should look for

Cases are not marred no obiviuos scuffs on the slide or ramp took a fine mesh steel wool and polished the ramp and throat.

Thanks in advance..
Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 PM

Dhamden, I'd recommend shooting the pistol for a time (200 rounds minimum) to see if a break in regimen is necessary. Rick
Old 05-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Could be an ammo issue. Factory ammo? Can you drop 100 rds manually into the chamber and they drop freely all the way in? Is the offending round the first, or last, or random position in the magazine? By "half way in", I'm aasuming the round is lined up with the chamber and just not seating all the way into battery.

Sounds like you're on the right track with a fresh recoil spring. I predict a quick resolution.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 PM

Feeds manually fine just randomly hangs I also just retentioned the extractor after reading another post and video on YouTube. It was tighter than the video advised .I will go to the range in a few days to see if that help.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM

Just b/c the mag works fine in the other 1911 doesn't mean the Loaded likes it..mine works fine with wilson combat...but the same mag has issues with my friends STI. Also, like someone else indicated..switch up the ammo...mine likes wwb just fine.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM

Between the extractor and the recoil spring you should be good. An extractor that is too tight will cause a FTF. If the gun only has a few rounds through it you may get a FTF just because everything is tight, including the springfield mags which I have found causing a few snags when new.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:42 PM

+1 on shoot it with different ammo, with the new recoil spring...
Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Check to make sure your extractor is NOT clocking. Clocking is when the extractor rotates inside the slide, when it clocks the extractor groove doesn't line up with the casing groove and you have a FTF.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM

Thanks for all the replies went range today no issues with pistol untill i used the four springfield mags all four hung on first round fed manually they are 7 rd mags so i loaded 6 rounds no issues they must still be very tight ??? my other mags worked perfect no issues

Note put in new slide spring oem 16lbs.
retentioned extractor
used non springfiled mags no issues
used springfield mags issues until i only loaded 6 rds.

Again thanks for all the advice