1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:45 PM
VietVet USMC 1968 VietVet USMC 1968 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Age: 65
Posts: 1,779
I give in...




..a Colt 1911 is in my future. I was talking with another gun nut yesterday about the value used guns retain, and he said that as far as revolvers are concerned, S&W sets the bar. Next, he said, "just like Colt 1911's hold their value". It was then that the big, rubber hammer fell on to my big mellon and I knew I had to have one.
I have Kimbers and a DW VBOB but at the end of the day they're just clones, right? Do I want to leave my son a clone? Hell no, what would he think about me? I've always preached that he should do things right the first time and I guess I didn't follow my own rule.
All this leads me to the question, (which you've probably already guessed) which Colt should I buy? And, before you ask, I'm not sure it has a real purpose other than to leave it or my son. It could sit on my nightstand if it had to but one of my Kimbers already does that.
Anyways, if you were in my position, what would you buy?
__________________
Life Member: USMC, DAV, MOPH, VVA, COTEP #CBOB 0330
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 PM
DeltaShooter DeltaShooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Metro Detroit Area
Posts: 280
I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a very cool heirloom for your son, but I think your friend is mistaken. Check out the pricing on several discontinued Colt revolvers. Anacondas, Pythons, Detective Specials, Cobras, in good condition, all command a pretty high dollar. I've seen plenty of $700-$800 Smiths go for half that when they're only a few years old.

If you want to spend the money for an heirloom, go with a Python or a new Delta Elite. Neither will lose value and both are very cool.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Shad Roe Shad Roe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,397
Series 70 Government,blued carbon steel.
__________________
Georgiacarry.org Member
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-06-2012, 04:21 PM
pyunker45 pyunker45 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina
Age: 58
Posts: 5,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietVet USMC 1968 View Post
and he said that as far as revolvers are concerned, S&W sets the bar.
Hey, I love the older Smiths, but apparently your friend never heard of Colt revolvers!

Quote:
which Colt should I buy? And, before you ask, I'm not sure it has a real purpose other than to leave it or my son.
An older out of production Colt, with box.
__________________
I like
Colts
....Semper Fi
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Griz44 Griz44 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, DISTRICT OF MANOR
Posts: 1,024
IMHO - anything with COLT on the side.

11 and counting.

If I had been thinking straight, I would have been buying one every year of my adult life. I would have at least 40 that way, instead of just 11.
__________________
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
George Washington
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-06-2012, 04:39 PM
burkherm1 burkherm1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 722
Dear VietVet USMC 1968, This is just a thought...Marine vet 1968 Vietnam....Right? How cool would it be if you were able to find a "68" Colt government model 1911 and pass that to your son? I know that it would be hard to find a 68, but if you had the right S/N's for that year from Colt you could maybe look that way! Bet your boy would cherish that and pass on to his kid? Thanks for your SERVICE and highest regards
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-06-2012, 04:48 PM
CIB CIB is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SE, TN
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkherm1 View Post
Dear VietVet USMC 1968, This is just a thought...Marine vet 1968 Vietnam....Right? How cool would it be if you were able to find a "68" Colt government model 1911 and pass that to your son? I know that it would be hard to find a 68, but if you had the right S/N's for that year from Colt you could maybe look that way! Bet your boy would cherish that and pass on to his kid? Thanks for your SERVICE and highest regards
Not really too hard to find. I have seen them on GB lately. Heck, I have one even.
__________________
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-06-2012, 07:21 PM
runnoah28 runnoah28 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 647
First things first. Thank you for your service!

I suggest you go with a blued government model. Either a Colt USGI, (very expensive if in good condition) a pre series 70 commercial, an original series 70 (1970-1983) or a series 70 reproduction. I own a 1978 S70 and a 2011 S70 and couldn't be happier with either one! Of course these are just my opinions. I wouldn't hesitate to get any 1911 that said COLT on it. Good luck and happy hunting!

Noah
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-07-2012, 09:28 AM
VietVet USMC 1968 VietVet USMC 1968 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Age: 65
Posts: 1,779
Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful replies.
__________________
Life Member: USMC, DAV, MOPH, VVA, COTEP #CBOB 0330
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
MotorSeven MotorSeven is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 1,464
Or, one that was made the year your son was born...that makes it personal to him and the one that gave it to him.

Hang around a while, I am sure we can spend some more of your money for ya
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM
M4finny M4finny is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietVet USMC 1968 View Post
..a Colt 1911 is in my future. I was talking with another gun nut yesterday about the value used guns retain, and he said that as far as revolvers are concerned, S&W sets the bar. Next, he said, "just like Colt 1911's hold their value". It was then that the big, rubber hammer fell on to my big mellon and I knew I had to have one.
I have Kimbers and a DW VBOB but at the end of the day they're just clones, right? Do I want to leave my son a clone? Hell no, what would he think about me? I've always preached that he should do things right the first time and I guess I didn't follow my own rule.
All this leads me to the question, (which you've probably already guessed) which Colt should I buy? And, before you ask, I'm not sure it has a real purpose other than to leave it or my son. It could sit on my nightstand if it had to but one of my Kimbers already does that.
Anyways, if you were in my position, what would you buy?
Stainless Colt Commander, with some very nice Eagle Globe and Anchor custom grip panels on that baby.

Thanks for your service Marine.

Fin
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 PM
OhShot! OhShot! is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,626
Get a new Combat Elite. Excellent straight from the box.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM
DARKEHORSE DARKEHORSE is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Eastern Region
Posts: 1,092
Good choice all...
Semper Fidelis
Elementis Regamus Proelium
...same blood... same mud...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
VietVet USMC 1968 VietVet USMC 1968 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Age: 65
Posts: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4finny View Post
Stainless Colt Commander, with some very nice Eagle Globe and Anchor custom grip panels on that baby.

Thanks for your service Marine.

Fin

I have this set of grips & thought they would be a great reminder of me to him. I also like the idea of the serial number crossed referenced to 1968.
__________________
Life Member: USMC, DAV, MOPH, VVA, COTEP #CBOB 0330
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 AM
elliotf elliotf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mid West
Posts: 231
Another big "thank you for your service"

Here is what you need:

http://www.americaremembers.com/prod...ne%20Right.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 AM
OhShot! OhShot! is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,626
I can see those grips on a Combat Elite. Thanks for your service soldier.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
javichin colt javichin colt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaShooter View Post
I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a very cool heirloom for your son, but I think your friend is mistaken. Check out the pricing on several discontinued Colt revolvers. Anacondas, Pythons, Detective Specials, Cobras, in good condition, all command a pretty high dollar. I've seen plenty of $700-$800 Smiths go for half that when they're only a few years old.

If you want to spend the money for an heirloom, go with a Python or a new Delta Elite. Neither will lose value and both are very cool.
Well, I just wanted to add that the Colt Single Action Army is still the king of all revolvers. If you want to spend your money on guns, just buy SAAs.

Regards,

Javi
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 AM
VietVet USMC 1968 VietVet USMC 1968 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Age: 65
Posts: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhShot! View Post
I can see those grips on a Combat Elite. Thanks for your service soldier.
soldier?? NO---"GRUNT" yes. USMC 0311
__________________
Life Member: USMC, DAV, MOPH, VVA, COTEP #CBOB 0330
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 AM
VietVet USMC 1968 VietVet USMC 1968 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Age: 65
Posts: 1,779
FYI: In the June 2012 issue of "Guns & ammo" magazine that came yesterday there's an "Editorial" titled, "COLT'S COMEBACK" along with a big article titled "COLT's comeback trio". I found both articles to be very interesting, but bothersome for a guy like me who up to this point has no experience with the brand.

I don't know if you guys read this magazine & give it's writers any credibility at all but if you do & you love your Colt's you should read them. I tried to pull up the on line edition so I could post a link but it wasn't available yet.
__________________
Life Member: USMC, DAV, MOPH, VVA, COTEP #CBOB 0330
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 AM
burkherm1 burkherm1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 722
I knew soldier wouldn't go un noticed. Marine to the core...no pund intended.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 AM
M21guy M21guy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Classified
Posts: 898
Old S&W revolvers are quite nice, but I'm sorry, the bar was officially set with the Colt Python. THE best there is in double action revolvers. Get behind one and you'll see, or rather you'll feel. There is nothing like it.

Colt has really stepped up on building some outstanding production 1911s over the last few years. They're quite nice. Colt offers a pretty good variety of them to choose from. Want something really special, don't forget the custom shop. Colt has the expertise to make some of the finest handguns in the world. They are a one stop shop.
__________________
"Compromising is never satisfying"
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM
VietVet USMC 1968 VietVet USMC 1968 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Age: 65
Posts: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkherm1 View Post
I knew soldier wouldn't go un noticed. Marine to the core...no pund intended.
Thanks for understanding!!
__________________
Life Member: USMC, DAV, MOPH, VVA, COTEP #CBOB 0330
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM
nevada 1911 nevada 1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: winnemucca, nevada
Posts: 392
A early 70 series Colt GCNM, you would have a fine pistol that would you could be proud of, the finest of the time.

I have a 1972 model and wouldn't take anything for it, they are very smooth and accurate as well as beautiful.

Thanks Marine.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 PM
bam88 bam88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 32
Colt

Marine, 1969 to 2012 and counting, BUY COLT !
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-10-2012, 02:30 PM
burkherm1 burkherm1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 722
Guns International #: 10024169 1968 NM with S/N 26xxxNM...expensive but the reason I posted this is S/N id may help you in your search if going the route of the 68 idea I had some posts ago...Just a thought...Happy hunting
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved