1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 05-05-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
What draws people to the Glock, over an XD? Is it just price? If I pick up one or the other, the XD just feels and works better side by side with the glock.

I dont want to start a fight, I am just wondering why people pick one over the other.

Disclosure, I do have an older XD, that my mother basically co-opted years ago.
I've owned both the XD and Glock and it was the opposite for me. The Glock pointed better, felt better in my hand, and the slide felt better. It's all personal. I sold the XD and kept the Glock!
-A man without force is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; but even this it cannot due for long if signs of power do not arise
Old 05-05-2012, 11:50 PM

I will always have a glock in my arsenal. Damn reliable but ugly as hell lol!! I have a glock 27 for carry, it carries very well.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:01 AM

I love how easy the G17 is to shoot. I haven't had a chance to go to the range in a long, long time. Yesterday I found out that today was the last chance I had to do my CCW refresher, otherwise I'd have to completely renew. Forgot how fast and easy it is to put a bunch of rounds into a non moving head sized target at 21 feet with a Glock 17.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:06 AM

I love both my Glocks, both my Sigs, my SA Loaded, and my Buckmark. There's nothing wrong with eclectic tastes.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealeTM View Post
IMO, (disclaimer one) The Glock has proven itself in every venue. The XD, not so much. Glock fits low in the hand, the XD seems to have more muzzle flip per caliber than anything I've shot. YMMV. (Disclaimer 2)
^^^this. I have shot the XD in 9mm and the XDM in 9mm and 40s&w and I feel the same way. I believe it is because the centerline is higher on the XD that gives the recoil more torque on your hand, but what do I know... I personally would rather have a fine tuned 1911, but I do not feel any less of a person with a full size glock in hand. They are work horses w/ tons of readily available and easily exchangable parts
Old 05-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch520 View Post
Oh God, the bore axis argument . I'll just say OK and move on
So he is wrong because he likes the gun to sit lower?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGun View Post
Nice HK Munch. My USP/c .40 has been a trusted companion for 13 years. I haven't had a chance to fire a P30, but I would like to. Regarding bore axis... it's a real issue for me. I clock consistently faster splits with my Glocks and 1911s than with my HK. Every time I reach for the HK before an IDPA match, my hand gets drawn to another gun that I shoot just ever so slightly faster.
Oh so it does make a difference
Quote:
Great point! I don't compete at all but have been timed and I'm within a thousandth between the two. Hence why I own/love em both
Glad to see that the "bore axis arguement" isn't just a myth, and to someone that competes saving time is saving time. So, when you can be faster, just as reliable, and cost half a much as some counterparts, why not! It is because we are human and everyone has different likes, wants, and needs. Therefore, there are different guns for all of us, and it isn't fair to get disgruntled because someone doesn't care for the same things you do
Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndealin View Post
So he is wrong because he likes the gun to sit lower?
My God man...take it easy. When did I say he was wrong. Look at my posts after that - was I accusing him of being 'wrong'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndealin View Post
Oh so it does make a difference

Glad to see that the "bore axis arguement" isn't just a myth, and to someone that competes saving time is saving time. So, when you can be faster, just as reliable, and cost half a much as some counterparts, why not! It is because we are human and everyone has different likes, wants, and needs. Therefore, there are different guns for all of us, and it isn't fair to get disgruntled because someone doesn't care for the same things you do
When did I say it was a myth? Please direct me to that post. Otherwise don't put words in my mouth. I wasn't 'disgruntled'. I'm just of the opinion that such minutiae aren't a big deal. Ever. Glocks usually don't fit my hands, should I get my finders surgically lengthened so I can shoot them better and benefit from the 'low bore axis'? No, because I don't give two squirrel's testicles about a thousandth of a second. You clearly do. Must be nice to be such a pro. Interesting to note that our beloved 1911s also have a similar composition and bore axis as a result of the hammer axle needed for their operation.

I'm sorry I wasn't 'fair', I was communicating my opinion and iterated in a later post that his feelings/opinions are fine as well. If you want 'fair' go hang out with kindergarten teachers and the Occupy idiots.

And the 'half the cost' argument may make sense to you. But it is readily evident that HKs are made very differently than their less expensive competition. BMW, Volkswagen Audi Group, Mercedes, etc. are in business today because people appreciate the innovation and engineering that is exhibited by these brands. Look up G3Kurz, an HK industry expert, if you'd like to read more about the reason for HKs price. Multiple testing facilities in different hemispheres, x% of profits reinvested in tireless engineering/new projects, cost of import, etc. are just a few noteworthy reasons.

ETA: your 'just as reliable' claim should be lit afire. Modern manufacture Glocks are NOT 'just as reliable as' HK USPs, P30s, 45Cs, etc. (In my experience, late Gen3s to the Gen4s of late last year). They've changed too much and gotten to cheap with some manufacturing processes. Look at the main page of the support section of their website. 'free recoil spring replacement' is a link that's recognizable. Also noteworthy are LWDs being out of stock of gen 2 extractors and ejectors. And IF it functions, it'll sling brass at your noggin. I love Glocks, but I'll stick to my old/ugly gen 2s for now.

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Last edited by Munch520; 05-07-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 PM

I am picking up another one tomorrow. A g21 .45 for $400, then I'm done, 3 in 3 weeks is enough. That makes a 9mm, a 10mm, and the .45. Again these are basically house stash guns, they will never replace my 1911.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 PM

Hello, my name is Scuba_Steve and I'm addicted to polymer.... I'll save ya a seat at the next meeting
Proverbs 29:10 Bloodthirsty men hate a man of integrity and seek to kill the upright.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANCESWITHGUNS View Post
Hello, my name is Scuba_Steve and I'm addicted to polymer.... I'll save ya a seat at the next meeting
Greeted by a chorus of "Hiiii Steeeveeee" :lol:

(I have a problem too).

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 PM

I can't seem to touch a used 9mm for under $500 around here. Just too darn much for a heavily used gun she may hate.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Munch I hear what you're saying about there being some problems with early Gen 4s. They were released too early, and Glock lost some cred as a result. But that all seems to be worked out now. None of my Gen 4s has problems and they have 1000's of rounds through them. I have had no problems with any type of ammo, from powder puff to +P+.

HKs are very high quality guns, and possibly THE most reliable. But I appreciate Glocks for being the AR of handguns. I can interchange lowers. The same mags fit multiple guns. Some of my holsters fit a G34 through a G26. Sights are interchangeable. The guns are super easy to work on. I can detail strip it in a couple of minutes. I have a box of replacement parts that fit all of my Glocks. There is a ton of aftermarket stuff too; some crap and some good just like with ARs. For example, I have an RDS slide on order from Suarez at TSD.

I will never part with my HK and may even buy another someday. But ARs are my primary rifle and Glocks have become ... [MATERIAL REDACTED SINCE THIS IS A 1911 FORUM].
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANCESWITHGUNS View Post
Nope, I can quit whenever I want
Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 PM

Glocks & 1911's

Nothing to apologize for.

Love my 1911's

Have a few of the plastic fantastics as well.

There is a place for all.

Enjoy.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 PM

Glock vs M&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_pure View Post
Plastic is practical for the truck, camping, hiking, etc. Nothing to be ashamed of. Although I would've gotten an M&P
Own both but have to agree. M&P is so much more ergonomic.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM

Polymer 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemeanHK View Post
Maybe we are finally maturing. The SHTF when Glock produces a polymer 1911, though. I heard HK is already working on one.
Looks like Rock River Arms is already there.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 PM

I have many brand guns in my collection. Most are S&W, a few are Glock.

It does not matter what brand gun you own but rather what you can do with it. For that reason, I carry a 1911 in .45acp.

Glocks get stove pipe jambs really easily if limp wristed. OK, you have a strong grip but then suppose your hand has been injured before you fire.

Glocks have a history of KaBooms. This does not happen with the 1911. Tupperware guns break apart. Real metal does not.

Glocks are ugly. a 1911 is not.

Glocks depreciate in worth.. A 1911 does not.

Yes, I own Glocks but they were either those I carried on duty or else those I bought really cheap from those that grew tired of the Glock advertising (which worked very well).

Glocks do work most of the time. They shoot pretty good. You cannot ruin their looks. They can save your life. Yet, for me, I will not ever carry one again for personal protection. I loan mine to new shooters so they learn how to shoot before using a real gun.

Owning a Glock is nothing to be ashamed of when you do not have anything better. God will fogive you.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGun View Post
Munch I hear what you're saying about there being some problems with early Gen 4s. They were released too early, and Glock lost some cred as a result. But that all seems to be worked out now. None of my Gen 4s has problems and they have 1000's of rounds through them. I have had no problems with any type of ammo, from powder puff to +P+.

HKs are very high quality guns, and possibly THE most reliable. But I appreciate Glocks for being the AR of handguns. I can interchange lowers. The same mags fit multiple guns. Some of my holsters fit a G34 through a G26. Sights are interchangeable. The guns are super easy to work on. I can detail strip it in a couple of minutes. I have a box of replacement parts that fit all of my Glocks. There is a ton of aftermarket stuff too; some crap and some good just like with ARs. For example, I have an RDS slide on order from Suarez at TSD.

I will never part with my HK and may even buy another someday. But ARs are my primary rifle and Glocks have become ... [MATERIAL REDACTED SINCE THIS IS A 1911 FORUM].
I admit I do need to get hands on a newer manufacture Gen4. In my experience the RMK serial-ed Gen3s and newer were full of issues. But I haven't touched a Gen4 since late last year! Another excuse to go shoot

I agree they are the AR of the handgun world and finding parts/sights for the HK is a bit of a pain. A total pain with newer variants like the P30.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I admit I do need to get hands on a newer manufacture Gen4. In my experience the RMK serial-ed Gen3s and newer were full of issues. But I haven't touched a Gen4 since late last year! Another excuse to go shoot

I agree they are the AR of the handgun world and finding parts/sights for the HK is a bit of a pain. A total pain with newer variants like the P30.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
I have many brand guns in my collection. Most are S&W, a few are Glock.

It does not matter what brand gun you own but rather what you can do with it. For that reason, I carry a 1911 in .45acp.

Glocks get stove pipe jambs really easily if limp wristed. OK, you have a strong grip but then suppose your hand has been injured before you fire.

Glocks have a history of KaBooms. This does not happen with the 1911. Tupperware guns break apart. Real metal does not.

Glocks are ugly. a 1911 is not.

Glocks depreciate in worth.. A 1911 does not.

Yes, I own Glocks but they were either those I carried on duty or else those I bought really cheap from those that grew tired of the Glock advertising (which worked very well).

Glocks do work most of the time. They shoot pretty good. You cannot ruin their looks. They can save your life. Yet, for me, I will not ever carry one again for personal protection. I loan mine to new shooters so they learn how to shoot before using a real gun.

Owning a Glock is nothing to be ashamed of when you do not have anything better. God will fogive you.
True and to the point....)))
Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKR View Post
It's the owners that come over to a 1911 forum to try and bash the 1911 that I have a problem with. If anyone wants to bash the 1911... It would make more sense to do it on another forum...
Why?? Is there some rule that ALL posting must be pro-1911??

This is a forum, and a forum is welcome to ALL opinions, whether flattering or not.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
Glocks get stove pipe jambs really easily if limp wristed.
MANY semi-autos will do the same. Glocks are no more prone to it than any other.

Quote:
Glocks have a history of KaBooms.
Hogwash. They have no more of an issue with catastrophic failures that any other manufacturer. You just hear more about Glocks because the are so popular. Besides, most ka-booms are cause by running out of spec (reloads) rounds.

Quote:
Tupperware guns break apart.
More horse-hocky. I have never seen a polymer based frame "break apart" for any other reason than a ka-boom, which by the way, will also destroy a metal framed pistol as well.

Quote:
Real metal does not.
And polymer does not rust or pit.

Quote:
Glocks are ugly.
I dont care...its a tool. I also wouldnt take a back-hoe to a car show.

Quote:
Glocks depreciate in worth.
Supply and demand. The more flooded a market is with a single type of product, the less it will appreciate. Besides, I dont know anyone who buys a Glock as an investment.

Quote:
I loan mine to new shooters so they learn how to shoot before using a real gun.
Ah, here we go...the immature cheap shots. I guess I should have saw it coming.

Quote:
Great...even more. I guess I should have read his whole post before I replied.

Sorry for wasting your time guys.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM

I don't really give a flying rat's behind what the guy next to me is shooting...
Step up, shut up and show me what you can do.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
Why?? Is there some rule that ALL posting must be pro-1911??

This is a forum, and a forum is welcome to ALL opinions, whether flattering or not.
I think you may need to read all the posts again....that was a response to someone whining that I am bashing the Glock all the time. I feel if you can dish it out you should be able to eat it also ...

Last edited by XKR; 05-07-2012 at 12:49 PM.