1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 PM

TT Gunleather "Mike's Special"

I picked this thing up BNIB from a member here...thought I'd throw up some pics and a amateur review in case anyone is interested.
Build quality is as good as anything I've seen from anyone...even full on custom stuff and holsters people for some reason wait a year or more to get. To each their own though...
It's brand new so the fit of the gun is super tight, I expect it will loosen up and get better with time but there's zero issues in my mind with retention with this thing....that gun is glued in there.
I'm not sure what degree cant is built in but with my 1 1/2" gun belt it tucks the handle right up against my side and quite honestly conceals the grip better than my custom made OWB holster that I love so much.
I wore it all weekend on a road trip of several hours each way and I guess it's as comfortable as an IWB gets. It stayed in place and did it's job quite well. I do wish the shield area was a little larger to cover the beavertail more, I could feel that poking me a little when I was sitting...it's perfectly comfortable when standing or otherwise moving around. That would be my only negative about the whole thing. It really is a great piece for the price.
I prefer OWB and always have but I wanna give this a shot because I can definitely see the concealment advantages of IWB.
If you're looking for a readily available IWB with features you'd wait a long time for from other people...you may wanna give this thing a look.
Anyway...enough rambling...here's a couple of pics.

Loaded up with my EDC Kimber with Larry Davidson grips and a few other tweaks.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:40 PM

TT Gunleather is a custom maker, his fathers business Stronghold is a quick ship type holster for those that can't wait. Both are sold on his website.

I have a TT holster and the fit and finish is second to none, congrats on your new holster!
~Benjamin Franklin
Old 05-06-2012, 05:49 PM

Custom to me is like my stuff from Rob Biancheri where I call him up, we discuss what I want and he hand builds me a one-off holster. If I can log onto a website, click a mass produced part and buy it, that's not custom. That's production line, although it may be small volume.
I'm not dissing the part...it's very high quality and I have no regrets at all.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNBROKEN View Post
Custom to me is like my stuff from Rob Biancheri where I call him up, we discuss what I want and he hand builds me a one-off holster. If I can log onto a website, click a mass produced part and buy it, that's not custom. That's production line, although it may be small volume.
I'm not dissing the part...it's very high quality and I have no regrets at all.
Cool, I misunderstood you, I just meant they are not like a mass produced holster.
~Benjamin Franklin
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 AM

[Custom to me is like my stuff from Rob Biancheri where I call him up, we discuss what I want and he hand builds me a one-off holster. If I can log onto a website, click a mass produced part and buy it, that's not custom.]

I don't disagree, but for most "custom" has come to mean holsters made by folks like Sparks. With some makers one can get special requests taken care of and some you can't. I like Sparks, but one of my complaints is that Tony does not make an OWB holster with a shirt guard.
However, Sparks and some other's workmanship exceeds many who would be called custom, and are much preferred by some of us.
Regards,
Jerry
Proverbs 14:34 *¶Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.