1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 PM

Rock River Arms 1911 POLY

I ran across this on the RRA website. What would be the advantages of a POLYmer single-stack frame? I know there is some difference when firing a all-steel Combat Commander and then firing a lightweight Commander Model; the difference between them is about 1/2 a pound. The weight of the RRA POLY gun is 2.08 lbs or just over 32 oz. This weight is so similar to the Commander that I wonder if they have come up with a frame that has no need in the shooting world. POLY ? Bah!
I can see a benefit to the manufacturer in reduced cost per unit (frame) and the ability to color it almost any color. (Oh, Please! Not Combat Pink!)
Perhaps it is just a marketing gimmick: You shoot a Glock don't you? Then try this 1911 with a POLYmer frame! Who knows, it just might sell.

And now . . . I bring you a Glockwood 17 XL!
Attached Thumbnails
miles glockwood.JPG  
Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 PM

Glockwood! Nice!

Former Marine Marksmanship Instructor/Member of USMC Rifle and Pistol Team

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74698259@N06/
Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 AM

website

it doesnt mention anything about a ramped barrel...

if they dont then id be kinda worried...
Old 05-06-2012, 07:59 AM

I'm willing to take a let's wait and see attitude towards a RRA Polymer Frame 1911. Like the Glock the polymer frame of the RRA might flex a bit spreading the recoil out over a longer time period, be more durable than a metal frame, and I believe the rails and feedramp are going to be metal to save wear to them. This could be the breakthrough that will keep the price of 1911s' down closer to that of other polymer pistols.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 AM

I can't imagine anyone wanting a poly 1911....why would they? weight savings? really? lmao. cost??? you really want a cheaper 1911 than the cheapie ones that are out? do you really need a 1911 cheaper than 3-400 bucks that an all metal one goes for??? no thanks.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-06-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDave1911 View Post
I can't imagine anyone wanting a poly 1911....why would they? weight savings? really? lmao. cost??? you really want a cheaper 1911 than the cheapie ones that are out? do you really need a 1911 cheaper than 3-400 bucks that an all metal one goes for??? no thanks.
Well for starters its reported to be selling around $800 not $300-$400 .

As for weight saving , if you shoot any type of competition 8 ozs. definitely helps . Ask any shooter .

And if you ask most gun manufacturers out there polmer frames not only reduce weight but felt recoil like someone posted above .

This may not be the gun for everyone but , I for one like it and will be checking one out when they finally hit the market .
Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM

I've had two polymer frame centerfires. One was a Wilson KZ 45 the other a Ruger and neither reduced felt recoil. What they did exhibit was less dampening of recoil in the hand due to less weight and allowed the top of the pistol to rock and track in a less stable manner. It was noticable. If it was legal to carry in Maryland, I would have kept the KZ. Less weight, more bangie in a carry pistol.

This is a subjective quality, so an individual won't know how much they like it until they shoot more than a couple mags through one.

Since we are hopeful for shall issue carry in Maryland, the RRA poly frame 1911 looks interesting.

Last edited by Magnumite; 05-06-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:58 PM

I'd be open to one even with the many expensive 1911s I already own. Polymer has certainly proved it's durability and I think the lighter weight and corrosion resistance polymer offers would be an advantage in a 1911 carry gun. If the quality is there, and RRA typically brings it, I'll be interested.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:09 PM

although im new to this forum and dont know a whole lot about 1911's, I do know some things about polymer, I've dont several research papers on it. One advantage I see is ease of manufacturing. Look at Glocks, The pistol dont spend very much time in the factory because of the polymer frame being molded. The amount of time it takes to make a frame from a mold is signifigantly less than having to machine it out. multiple molds means more pistol frames that could be made. since the molds are all identical, there is less variation in parts commonality between brands of pistols.
A second advantage I see is the weight savings. shooting a pistol,any firearm, or even a bow for that matter can be affected by the wieght. The way I see it, the more wieght you shave off the better, TO A CERTIAN EXTENT. I say this because if your a target shooter or just somebody who likes to plink your not going to be as easily fatigued shooting a gun that wieghs 32 oz compared to a gun that wiehgs 40oz or something. I think for people who are very strong this could be an advantage. BUT going back to what i said earlier, the less it weighs the better to a certian extent. thing about these recent pocket guns is there isnt very a whole lot of wieght to it so it becomes uncomfortable to shoot.
I guess what im trying to say is that there needs to be a balance point if a pistol is made of polymer. I think a pistol should be comfortable to hold, shoot, and carry, and if saving 8 or ounces makes do that, then im interested.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:30 PM

I definately want one but will wait for a officers size for concealment options. Not having metals helps if you have a high PH in your sweat like ceratin vets with agent orange. A watch just erodes in days and battery dies and Jewelery erodes. So yes I would love it if polymers were used in 1911s except for vital pieces like a hammer,trigger,etc.... I will get one of these in time. I can't wait either. A 1911 polymer - THAZ JUZ BAD AZZ
S/A 1911-A1 "Ultra Compact" {Load'd & Mod'd}-S/A 1911-A1 MilSpec {Mod'd}-S/A XD.40s&w (Svc), Glock-19&21, S&W Model 41&22-A, Beretta .22, S&W M&P .223&15-22, Savage 10FCE .308, Mossberg 500-A(Tac).12ga.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
I've had two polymer frame centerfires. One was a Wilson KZ 45 the other a Ruger and neither reduced felt recoil
Did you compare them to similar guns with metal frames or are you basing it on what you remember the felt recoil of other metal frame guns ? Because thats the only real way to compare . I shoot most competition with a 1911 but have also used an XD and a Glock all in .45 with all the same reloads . I can't legitimately compare them to how a 1911 feels as far as recoil is concerned .

I will admit it is all subjective to the person shooting them . I personally like 1911 styled grip frames because of the way they fit my hand , while another friend of mine does not .

In the end its basically the "Ford vs. Chevy" argument . People will either try polymer frames and like them , hate them , or have preconceived notions about "plastic" guns and not try it .
Old 07-12-2012, 02:18 PM

I'm questioning the 32oz weight.

A Glock 17 is a similar sized pistol that weighs 22 oz; almost 50% lighter. But, the Glock has a much beefier slide. Is it possible that RRA is giving the loaded weight?

ML
Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 PM

I wish they would have had them at the RRA building at Camp Perry.
Good deals on AR's, but not a single RRA poly to be found.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 AM

They used to make a really nice 1911. This one not so much.

Dan Wesson Valor 09 Valor #46 Cotep #184
Old 07-16-2012, 05:21 PM

I am a purest when it comes to the M1911.
I like my guns set up pretty much in the GI way. I despise the beavertail in most things.

That said I do have a bit of interest in this gun. I would surely like to see one.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 PM

I'd like to look one of these over in person, but I think RRA are running a little late with their introduction.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM

Yes, that was based on lots of previous experience with metal framed pistols. There is a difference, easier to drive the metal framed pistol.
The Wilson is similarly sized to a single stack. The P95 was in direct comparison to a P85 MkII.
I know with time I would have adapted. The metal frame acts as a pendelum counter weight and dampens the flip of the pistol. I still like metal framed pistols. So I just bought a Glock 20 10mm. Looking at the Smith M&P9 series pistols also (those are built with direct input from none other than Rob Leatham). Guess I don't know when to come in out of the rain.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Banned

I would love to get me one of these I just wish they'd have a release date posted.
I figure the only gain is a little lighter , but I still wouldn't mind having one. Sad thing is I know they wouldn't get it mass approved
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM

most poly 1911's look fugly,at least the RRA pistol looks good.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
Yes, that was based on lots of previous experience with metal framed pistols. There is a difference, easier to drive the metal framed pistol.
The Wilson is similarly sized to a single stack. The P95 was in direct comparison to a P85 MkII.
I know with time I would have adapted. The metal frame acts as a pendelum counter weight and dampens the flip of the pistol. I still like metal framed pistols. So I just bought a Glock 20 10mm. Looking at the Smith M&P9 series pistols also (those are built with direct input from none other than Rob Leatham). Guess I don't know when to come in out of the rain.
Since Robbie Leatham works for Springfield Armory I think you mean the XDM. That or Robbie is going to have a new employer soon.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 PM

I would like to see one as well, and shoot it of course.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 PM

You got me. I boo boo'd. It was the S&W sponsored shooter. Forget who. 'Sponsored shooter' always brings Leatham to mind.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 PM

It seems that it may be a good idea. It is funny that the 1911 purists can't think of anything but the way JMB thunk it. Let us get rid of extended safety, the beavertail, match barrels, extended triggers, checkered front straps, sights that can be seen, magwells, anything shorter than 5”, aluminum frames and so many other things. Truth is there is not a gun built to his specs now days, as it would rattle and no one would buy the damn thing because it would be considered a POS.
Don’t get me wrong I love the 1911 and probably have a number of prejudices regarding the platform myself but if plastic was available in 1911 I think JMB would have considered using it. It offers some advantages, say if the pistol was carried in bad weather or as a duty pistol and manufacturing costs would make it a no brainer.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:37 AM

I'm with Tacticool1 in that I'd like to see an Officers size model in Poly for CC. Given the South Texas heat, it would be better in dealing with sweat and moisture. A SS model isn't a lightweight.

But that web site has said "Coming Soon" for a long, LONG time. There's some pretty old threads on this board talking about it, and it said "Coming Soon" way back then as well. Love to know their definition of 'soon'.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM

We might see it at SHOT. That would indicate it's going to be made.