1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 PM

Spec Ops 9 @ Frontsight

I just returned from my first trip to Frontsight. I attended the 4 day defensive handgun course and took my Spec Ops 9. Over the 4 days I went through just over 700 rounds, and it was so awesome. The class consisted of 40 students (18 of whom were returning students) and was supervised by a Range Master and at least 3 other Range Officers at all times. Over the 4 days we preformed countless drills and exercises, cleared countless numbers of imposed malfunctions and generally had a great time and became more familiar with this gun than I ever thought I would. If any of you are considering going to this facility I highly recommend it.

Only minuets upon my arrival the range master (who was carrying an Nighthawk Predator) stopped the entire firing line and instruction to inspect my gun and then run an entire magazine through it (I didnít mind at all). This would be a common thing as several staff members would stop me and what to have a look.

Over the 4 days I witnessed several glocks malfunction over and over, in fact one literally fell apart in front of the entire class . I am pleased to say that I did not have 1 malfunction with my Wilson over the entire 4 days. The gun was a dream to shoot. Buy the end of the course I was shooting ragged holes...Wilsonís accuracy did not disappoint. I finished the course distinguished graduate top of my class, only missed one shot on the whole test !!

I am extremely happy with this gun, it was awesome!! Currently planning my next purchase...just trying to find the funds

Last edited by westwood45; 05-05-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Very Nice looking gun.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 PM

Very Nice!
Wilson Combat Firearms: CQB Elite Turnbull Blue / Case Hardened .45, CQB .45, Lightweight Protector Compact .45, CQB Tactical LE.45, CQB-C .45, Stealth .45, Sentinel .45, Colt Custom .45, High-Cap Championship Special .38 Super Race Gun, Spec Ops 9, Scattergun Tech. TR-870 12 ga., UT-15 .223 with W/C .22 Upper, OD ADP 9mm, WC .22 1911 conversion
Old 05-06-2012, 12:15 AM

Spec Ops goodness
Old 05-06-2012, 11:34 AM

I love front sight. Been a member there for a while. DGed in HG twice I will be there in September. Who was the RO?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:11 PM

From the pics it appears to me that you're running an all black rear with FO front?
I'm really debating one of these pistols hard and that's how I'd prefer my sights as well! How's you POA/POI? I'm assuming they're Wilson house brand sights?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommackBoy View Post
I love front sight. Been a member there for a while. DGed in HG twice I will be there in September. Who was the RO?
My RO was Ciaccio (pronounced chŗ-chi). The guy was awesome and a very accomplished shooter. Plus he's a big 1911 fan and always giving Glock shooters a hard time. He told me you can request the RO of your choice when you check in, so if he's working I would highly recommend!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 PM

What happened to the glock?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eringobragh View Post
From the pics it appears to me that you're running an all black rear with FO front?
I'm really debating one of these pistols hard and that's how I'd prefer my sights as well! How's you POA/POI? I'm assuming they're Wilson house brand sights?
Your exactly right, black rear sight, green FO front sight. This is the stock configuration from Wilson, and yes, they are Wilson sights. I've very happy with them.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple View Post
What happened to the glock?
Well, as I mentioned earlier, the Range Master was carrying a 1911, so when he would do demonstrations of certain techniques he would need to demonstrate them on a Glock (I think in this instance we were going over malfunction clearing). So to do this, he would simply request the gun of a glock shooter from this class.

Someone shooting a glock 17 volunteered his weapon and about 30 seconds latter as the Range Master is bringing it down to the ready from a pointed in position the slide simply fell off the frame and hit the dirt. He didn't miss a beat, looked up at the class and said, "there another great reason NOT to shoot a glock"

The poor individual who's gun he used spent an afternoon with the armorer before he was able to shoot again. I never did find out what the problem was, but the shooter was able to finish the course with the same gun
Old 05-15-2012, 10:40 PM

I am actually surprised we don't see more SO9's out there. Mine is just perfect, accurate, soft shooting, shoots every type of ammo except one out of spec box, and is easy to carry. It is also wearing like iron, hardly any wear after more that 2K rounds.

It goes to training with me for sure.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:35 AM

Can't wait to get mine - I was fondling it at lunch today, actually!