1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 05-06-2012, 05:23 PM

And what are all you "latex glove wearers" going to obsess about next if it turns out she has latex sensitivity?

And I sure hope she's not reloading those bullets in a basement with all those "radon" particles floating about.

Or that the jewelry she's wearing doesn't have any lead in it. We know about those Waltons (Wal Mart) and their love of Chinese manufactured merchandise.

Great Jehoshaphat, she's handling cast lead here, fellas, not plutonium.

What a bunch of timid little mouses.

Last edited by Butthead; 05-06-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
And what are all you "latex glove wearers" going to obsess about next if it turns out she has latex sensitivity?

And I sure hope she's not reloading those bullets in a basement with all those "radon" particles floating about.

Or that the jewelry she's wearing doesn't have any lead in it. We know about those Waltons (Wal Mart) and their love of Chinese manufactured merchandise.

Great Jehoshaphat, she's handling cast lead here, fellas, not plutonium.

What a bunch of timid little mouses.
No offense intended, but you sound ignorant of the fact that lead is indeed much more harmful to kids than to adults.

Exposure to lead can have a wide range of effects on a child's development and behavior. Even when exposed to small amounts of lead levels, children may appear inattentive, hyperactive and irritable. Children with greater lead levels may also have problems with learning and reading, delayed growth and hearing loss. At high levels, lead can cause permanent brain damage and even death.

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_f...n_and_behavior
Old 05-06-2012, 06:47 PM

You are doing good dad. Your daughter will remember doing this later in her life. The fact that you are trusting her to help, means a lot to her.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:59 PM

Awesome.

This daddy's little girls are 4 and 5, so it will be a little bit before that happens. However I have recently started teaching them that if they see my weapons out to leave them be and tell mommy or daddy asap. Of course they also like to help daddy when I work on the trucks, a friends bike or just about anything else mechanical. Sometimes they are more help than others, but they try. I have some really cute pics of them under the truck, next to the truck and "washing" the bike I used to have. Have fun with that and I would have to concur about having her use gloves when she loads and washes her hands when done, of course you should to. I know that I do..
Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 PM

It will be years before she understands what this time with her means to you.
You sound very proud and you should be.

As for all the glove and lead talk... just remind her wash up, and get her (and you) a set of "rubber fingers", much easier to work in than gloves. I use another style that is smooth rather than dimpled when I'm reloading.
but become round nose after I color with them.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaShooter View Post
Absolutely! Lead exposure is a much bigger deal for kids than it is for adults. What makes it worse is there is no safe standard for lead exposure for them. Some kids have terrible issues with very little lead exposure compared to others. Why take the chance?

Touching the eyes and mouth, after handling lead, is also to be avoided. Latex or vinyl gloves make that much less appealing.
Yep..Kids brains are way more suceptable to lead exposure than adults.Actually,you don't really need the gloves,get some type of liquid glove.They sell it at auto parts stores,it's a paste you put on your hands,and work it in like hand lotion.It dries to a flexible second skin,washes right off with water.It stays on for hours as long as you don't get your hands wet.I use it when I load..
Old 05-07-2012, 12:50 AM

Congrats Dad, she looks so serious. It is obvious you have taught her well. Enjoy the time together, you will always have those moments to reflect back on later in life.
Last summer my granddaughter came and spent a week with us. We had just returned from a bicycle ride and I remarked to her that in 10 years she would be too interested in boys to want to ride bikes with grandpa. She looked at me and said, "in 10 you won't be able to ride a bike... Little snot...
Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOU D View Post
Yep..Kids brains are way more suceptable to lead exposure than adults.Actually,you don't really need the gloves,get some type of liquid glove.They sell it at auto parts stores,it's a paste you put on your hands,and work it in like hand lotion.It dries to a flexible second skin,washes right off with water.It stays on for hours as long as you don't get your hands wet.I use it when I load..
Not meaning to highjack... I've heard of that stuff, but I thought it wouldn't hold up to some of the lubes used in reloading because many have lanolin in them?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 AM

She's certainly a good kid. I was unaware that lead contact would be that much of an issue. I grew up with lead stuff everywhere. pipes, paint, toys.. etc....

We were pretty much told not to chew on the windowsills or the pipes and we survived I guess.

However - she's enough of a "girl" still that after like 10 bullets she was like "ewww...Im getting stuff on my fingers" lol. she loaded 50 and cleaned herself up well enough.

She's a pretty good shooter too. handles the 10/22 and the charger rather well. her pistol needs some work though - I got a long way to go teaching her how to hold it and stand. She tends to lean backward to line up her sights... anything other than a .22 might just knock her down lol...
Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Way to go Dad!

Precious memories, I wish I had taken photo's when my kids were helping me load.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 PM

That's on of the beauties of handloading-you can make a load in .45 that will shoot nice and light for her...200LSWC and about 3.5gr Trail Boss should be about right.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterinpa View Post
No offense intended, but you sound ignorant of the fact that lead is indeed much more harmful to kids than to adults.

Exposure to lead can have a wide range of effects on a child's development and behavior. Even when exposed to small amounts of lead levels, children may appear inattentive, hyperactive and irritable. Children with greater lead levels may also have problems with learning and reading, delayed growth and hearing loss. At high levels, lead can cause permanent brain damage and even death.
How are the children in the article you posted getting the lead into their bodies though?

Hint - maybe eating lead based paint found in older homes (because it has a sweet taste, and most young kids like sweet stuff), plus maybe ingesting the paint dust somehow as it flakes off the painted surfaces.

Not arguing with you that lead isn't toxic. But she's just handling bullets, not eating them. If she follows a few (easy) precautions (i.e. - washing her hands well afterwards), she should be alright, even WITHOUT the latex gloves.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
How are the children in the article you posted getting the lead into their bodies though?

Hint - maybe eating lead based paint found in older homes (because it has a sweet taste, and most young kids like sweet stuff), plus maybe ingesting the paint dust somehow as it flakes off the painted surfaces.

Not arguing with you that lead isn't toxic. But she's just handling bullets, not eating them. If she follows a few (easy) precautions (i.e. - washing her hands well afterwards), she should be alright, even WITHOUT the latex gloves.
I think you're overlooking ingestion through inhalation, oral ingestion from touching one's mouth with one's hands, and the same with one's eyes.

I have quite a bit of experience with this as I work for a public school system with a lot of older buildings. I'm not a teacher, I'm a building engineer.

As I mentioned in a previous post, some children are far more susceptible than others. Many people, me included, have cast our own sinkers, musket balls, etc, and had no ill effects (yet). Kids are different as they are still developing.

One of the saddest days of my life was talking to the parent of an 8 year old that had the mental capacity of a 4 year old because of lead poisoning. The lead was not present in her house but came in as dust from a renovation next door. Just trace amounts ruined this poor kid's life.

I'm really not trying to be a bummer to the OP of this thread. I think having his daughter involved in reloading and shooting is great. Almost anything can be done safely with the proper precautions and that's all anybody that has brought up lead issues has suggested.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:05 PM

never mind. unnecessary
Enjoy your time with you daughter, use your head, clean up when your done. You and she will be fine.

Last edited by markbob45; 05-07-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbob45 View Post
Lead This Lead that Blah Blah Blah. If your not eating it or beathing the dust all day and you wash your hands no worries. If you want to freak people out about lead go work for the EPA
I had to take the EPA mandated Lead Abatement course a couple years ago. 8 hrs of my life I'll never get back for a bunch of gov beaurocrat foolishness.
Enjoy your time with you daughter, use your head, clean up when your done. You and she will be fine.
Maybe you should have stayed awake for that course. Then you'd realize that it was designed for adults removing lead based products, not about the effects of lead on children.

I do have to thank you for stating your opinion so clearly regarding lead abatement. People like you are the reason I spend a fair amount of time watching contractors doing demo work.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 PM

never mind. unnecessary
Original topic. Spend as much time with your daughter as you can. They grow up quick.
Have a nice day

Last edited by markbob45; 05-07-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM

All the other issues aside...Its GREAT to see another generation interested in this hobby.
I'm happy for you.
Plus the pictures are great quality.....GOOD JOB..!!!!

Don2
Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 PM

Cease with the hijack

The man has taken it upon himself to spend quality time with his daughter to share our hobby and past-time with her. Instead of celebrating this wonderful achievement, a few of you have decided to turn this thread into a whizzing contest about "lead exposure".

And certainly while lead exposure is a concern for all who handle reloading components, that concern need not overshadow this topic. So, let's cease with the hijack of this Man's thread with snarky comments and get back on topic. If you want to chest bump over hazmat issues, take it to PM.

Further de-railing will most certainly result in some further "moderation". So by all means, please "self-moderate".

Regards,

Fin
Old 05-07-2012, 08:42 PM

Right now my five year old is drinking a sippy and falling asleep on my shoulder. I am hoping to teach her to reload and shoot someday. I just don't know if it will happen. She is at least mildly autistic and doesn't seem to understand somethings, but she loves mechanical stuff and animals. I think it is awesome that your daughter is able to do these things with you. I can only hope right now that mine can someday. Congrats and good job dad.

BTW Can't help it, I am a little jealous. On a sidenote My wife and I were debating this. How old is she? She looks about my stepsons age to me (13), wife thinks younger.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 AM

yep, she's 13. she's a little thing for her age. Unfortunatley, she inherited most of her mothers genes when it comes to size. if she gets much over 5' i'll be surprised. I was doing some priming and inspecting and she had one of those sudden kid whims and hopped up on the seat wanting to help. We'll see how often she wants to continue, but for now - it was fun for both of us. There's 50 loaded up in a box with her name on it, but the 1911 kinda scares her still. Plus it's just a bit big for her hands too. She'll just have to work up to it...

and that means I will need a few more pistols!! after all - I gotta keep the kid happy right? We'll see how that particular angle works on the wife, lol.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:39 PM

Well if your wife won't go for a pistol for your daughter, maybe she will let you get your daughter her OWN reloader... I bet she'd love a Dillon 1050 with all the extras!!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:06 PM

I have 3 grown daughters now and the times when they helped me are certainly some great memories. I had a friend that did not like his kids helping because it took longer to get things done. While it can take longer, both the kids and parents can really reap great benefits and establish relationships that last.

Congrats on some family time! Stay safe.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Friends, I think the point about lead awareness has been sufficiently made. Please stick to the original topic. If you have new information concerning lead exposure, put it in the lead exposure sticky at the top of the page.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-09-2012, 03:43 PM

yeah, lead can be dangerous, but the memories of kids and parent is priceless. she ll remember reloading in her dads shop, forever...beats them watch tv or doing non productive stuff. i think that picture is more than about reloading, i still remember when my dad used to take me fishing, it wasn't not about fishing, but my dad being like friend to me. if she wants to spend time reloading...i guessing the apple does not fall far from the tree..got two kids myself
Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 PM

i share your joy my friend! my only difference is mine is 7 and she for right now only puts them into boxes for me. soon she will be moving upward to help more. enjoy this time and never forget the fun!
and just a PROUD supporter of firearm owners!!