1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 05-05-2012, 11:55 AM

I just bought my 3rd SIG last week. A ultra. Reasons to go with SIG imo are as follows.

MSH on a Kimber are cheap plastic. SIG MSH are checkered 25 LPI and are metal. A lot of Kimbers also leave the front grip un checkered. Almost if not all SIG 1911s checker the front grip too.

Most SIGs use only 2 MiM parts, the slide stop and disconnector. While a few other (2) parts are cast components. All the rest are bar stock.

For a production run 1911 and the hand fitted greatness of the gun There's not much on the market that can compete with the SIG
Old 05-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisan View Post

MSH on a Kimber are cheap plastic.
Are you serious? Did not know that.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisan View Post
Most SIGs use only 2 MiM parts, the slide stop and disconnector. While a few other (2) parts are cast components. All the rest are bar stock.
This isn't accurate in current production models. Back when Sig first started building the GSR's, there were no MIM bits on them anywhere - everything was machined from bar stock. As production methods changed and Sig brought everything in-house, the number MIM components have increased. There are now either 5 or 7 MIM parts, all of which are of very good quality.

As for the plastic mainspring housing, I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's well made. Certain current production Colts use a polymer MSH if memory serves. I've never seen Kimber's MSH so I can't comment on quality. Like MIM, plastic/polymer pieces can range in quality quite a bit.

"We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless." - Jeff Snyder
Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontRangeFuzz View Post
This isn't accurate in current production models. Back when Sig first started building the GSR's, there were no MIM bits on them anywhere - everything was machined from bar stock. As production methods changed and Sig brought everything in-house, the number MIM components have increased. There are now either 5 or 7 MIM parts, all of which are of very good quality.

As for the plastic mainspring housing, I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's well made. Certain current production Colts use a polymer MSH if memory serves. I've never seen Kimber's MSH so I can't comment on quality. Like MIM, plastic/polymer pieces can range in quality quite a bit.
+1

Colt actually sells those polymer MSH's in the aftermarket world. I picked up one of the arched ones last week (under $10 retail) to see if I like the feel of an arched MSH before I go and drop $50-60 on a metal or G10 (Hogue) one.

The Colt polymer MSH's had a LOT of five star customer reviews, so it was no surprise that it is rock solid and fits/functions great. If it didn't look like a piece of plastic (crap) on my beautiful Sig, I would just leave it.

Gotta remember....Glock and everyone else are making some very durable weapons with the entire frame made of polymer. It's all about the type of polymer they use and how durable that particular type is.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:10 PM

To get a really good look at things, I gave my Kimber Pro TLE II and thorough cleaning. As soon as I get time I'll post a picture of my Kimber and my new Sig 1911 XO side by side.

As I stated earlier in the post, both are top notch fit and finish. I sorta kinda maybe like the finish on my Kimber better, but both are supposed to be tough, time will tell.

I think the Sig is a little tighter, but it hasn't been shot yet and the Kimber probably has 1000 rounds through it, maybe more.

For the money ($760), the Sig 1911 XO is a very good value. If you want front serations, night sights, a rail, ambi safety and whatever else, I'm not sure what it will cost, but the guns are tight.

NOW, does anyone know if the Sigs are cast or forged frames. My amatuer inspection tells me it's a forged frame, but it doesn't matter to me anymore, I own it.

Right now I'm diversified. We'll see how the Sig performs. That will dictate my future 1911 holdings.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB Si View Post
Too much MIM in a Kimber (MIMber) and did not want a Brazilian Springfield is what swayed me to SIG. Taurus 1911's are the best value going in 1911's.
Fixed
Old 05-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB Si View Post
Too much MIM in a Kimber (MIMber) and did not want a Brazilian Springfield is what swayed me to SIG. SIG 1911's are the best value going in 1911's.
Instead of Brazilian you went with German? Still a fureign brand.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 PM

Kimber vs. Sig - I think both are fine quality wise, but Sig just seems to give you a little more gun for the money you pay.

Kimbers seem like good guns for the money, but Sig is off the charts when you consider their pricing. Reliability wise, I've heard Sig is the better of the two...no personal experience with Kimber to back that up, though.

The Sig's incredible value for the money isn't really a surprise when you think about it...what you basically have is a top tier, world-renowned production pistol maker who decided the custom 1911 market was big enough that they could afford to mass produce a number of different "custom" 1911 models (that's basically what all these models are). Their business model makes sense too...a lot of the models they offer are mixed and matched from a small number of different parts in their inventory. And apparently they can do these quality 1911's cheaper than a lot of their competition.

Bottom line, I think their 1911 offerings are evidence of Sig Sauer's years of expertise churning out large numbers of high quality pistols.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak100 View Post
Fixed
Springfield frames are made in Brazil. See my signature.

Last edited by FB Si; 05-05-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtx View Post
As of 2000 Sig Sauer Incorporated is a separate entity from the European Swiss Arms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer

All SIG 1911's are 100% American made.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtx View Post
Some differences, though.

SA is a US company outsourcing manufacturing to Brazil. Because it's cheaper.

Sig Sauer is a German owned company who opened a full blown manufacturing facility in Exeter, NH. American made pistols sold to the American public. I don't care if the CEO making the fat cash is in the US or Germany...it's the American worker I'm thinking about. When I buy a Sig, I know (in most cases) it was built right there in Exeter, NH - and I know if it breaks, I will talk to a guy or gal in Exeter, NH.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak100 View Post
Taurus 1911's are the best value going in 1911's........Fixed
I wonder what one of those go for? I hear their quality is iffy............ Troll
Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneInTheChamber View Post
Are both equally reliable and how do both of their finishes hold up to leather holster wear
I have shot several Kimber 1911 pistols - no problems.

I own a Sig Tac-Ops TB. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. It is a Stainless pistol with IONBond DLC coating (from the factory). Holster wear has been excellent.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Yes, same finish as my .357sig P226. Awesome.................. Troll
Old 05-06-2012, 04:22 PM

I have both. 3 Kimber 1911's and 1 Sig. My Sig is my favorite shooter. I have had only a hand full of malfunctions with my SIG. mostly FTF, but i use cheap Tula ammo for practice. Have about 1k rounds through my Tac-OPs Carry TB. One of my Kimbers had to go back because of reapeated FTE's. My Ultra Raptor, which i carry most of the time has been great. My other Kimber is an Aiges commander 9mm. I dont use that gun very often but that gun had been good too. I recently bought the new Super Carrt Ultra. One problem after another. I traded it in. I like Kimber but am reluctant to buy another. Sig is deffinetly the biggest bang for the buck. My go to war gun would be my Sig Tac-Ops. y next 1911 will be a Sig.
Ineptocracy (in-ep-tocí-ra-cy) - a system of government where those least capable to lead are elected by those least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves, or to succeed at anything, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of an ever-diminishing number of producers.