1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 05-06-2012, 09:21 AM

For my it depends on the gun. I clean my Dan Wesson Guardian after each range trip, as well as my Savage bolt action. My Glocks and AR I'm less finicky with a.d will often wait a few range trips before cleaning. I think its because I see those more as tools than precision pieces.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
If lubing a dirtly pistol turns the grit to mud....then you don't have enough lube on your pistol. A really wet dirty pistol is just that. Wet and dirty. Lube dripping off the gun carries crud with it. But if the crud and lube just turns to paste...your gun isn't wet enough.
I know how guns function I have been shooting for 54 years, you do not add more lube on a gun that is super dirty, you wipe it down, use a brush clean it and then you oil it, it takes a few minutes, I find this whole discussion frankly ridiculous. You want a dirty gun go ahead trust your life to a dirty gun i shall not end of story.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
Maybe I'm just a fanatic, but I like to have clean guns. Then again, I also keep my house clean as well as my car. No, I'm not crazy anal about it. Things are meant to be used and they get dirty so, I clean.

However, I've seen a lot of people talk about how they never clean their guns. They say it like this is a source of pride. More, they talk about how others are stupid to waste time cleaning.

What are your thoughts? Do you clean your guns?
quit hanging out in other forums where they don't know anything about their glo.....uh, guns. LOL

In this forum, I rarely if ever, see people stating they never clean or hate cleaning their guns. 1911's beg to be clean and fondled. I clean every gun after every range session....pretty standard fare.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
If lubing a dirtly pistol turns the grit to mud....then you don't have enough lube on your pistol. A really wet dirty pistol is just that. Wet and dirty. Lube dripping off the gun carries crud with it. But if the crud and lube just turns to paste...your gun isn't wet enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDave1911 View Post
quit hanging out in other forums where they don't know anything about their glo.....uh, guns. LOL

In this forum, I rarely if ever, see people stating they never clean or hate cleaning their guns. 1911's beg to be clean and fondled. I clean every gun after every range session....pretty standard fare.
Read above quote from TRSOtto for a solution and don't worry about other forums. I have never been to a forum that a discussion about cleaning or not cleaning had so many anti cleaning supporters.
Of course I agree with you cleaning your guns specially 1911's after every shooting sesion.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I'm a non cleaner. I run either Baers or Browns or WC's or a NHC through a rotation. A couple of times each summer I will run 1200-1300 rounds through a gun at a weekend class so yes, I know my guns will run that long with just lube. Most weeks though, I head to the range with 2 or 3 1911's and run a couple hundred through each one. When I get home, I just wipe em down cause I know I'm gonna dirtly em up again in the next 5-6 days. I just have other things I want to do rather than clean guns. I find it boring, tedious, monotonous...... I have no beef with those who clean theirs after every range trip. It's just something I don't enjoy doing.

Generally, when my guns hit 1000 rounds or so, I'll take em apart and thoroughly clean them.

Really....I am a nice guy otherwise...
Ditto for me. In my younger years, I was somewhat of a compulsive cleaner. I can tell no change in performance given my modified cleaning habits, as a tactical type shooter. Just add lube and keep shooting, while cleaning every 1,000 rounds or so. More time for family and golf.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshak View Post
I know how guns function I have been shooting for 54 years, you do not add more lube on a gun that is super dirty.......(
You will if you are in the middle of a match and want to keep shooting.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

I still enjoy cleaning. Time spent cleaning is time spent enjoying the genius of the maker and the detail of the machine. 1911s get detail stripped and cleaned lovingly. Glocks get hosed down with brake cleaner/quick scrubbing with a brush and a couple of passes with a brush down the barrel.

Robert

BTW, not a Glock bash, I have two, and I like them. 1911s, Smith & Wesson and Colt REvolvers are special though...

NRA Endowment Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 05-06-2012, 01:08 PM

Mine came clean.
Thats the way I feel the best about there ability to keep me alive if ever the need came.
Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 05-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69charger View Post
Mine came clean.
Thats the way I feel the best about there ability to keep me alive if ever the need came.
Dave
I'd never carry a gun that didn't have at least 35-40 rounds through it after cleaning..
Old 05-06-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOU D View Post
I'd never carry a gun that didn't have at least 35-40 rounds through it after cleaning..
? I have a few thousand reliable round through mine but keep it clean .
Did we not connect?
Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 05-06-2012, 02:01 PM

I clean my handguns after a range session and rifles and shotguns at the end of hunting season.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
You will if you are in the middle of a match and want to keep shooting.
I have been in many matches, NWPPA, IDPA, IPSC, GSSF. I started with a clean and lubed gun and never had to put more oil in the middle of the match, but then again my guns always function because I do not accept any gun that is not 100% reliable.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Did we not connect?
Dave
Things can happen when you clean a gun.A piece of foreign material could be left in it from when you took it apart to clean it,there may be a problem with a missaligned part from assembly,ETC,and,a clean gun doesn't shoot to the same point of aim as a dirty one.If by some chance I have to draw in a hostage situation and aim for the left eye,I don't want to miss because my gun isn't shooting exactly to point of aim..Quit YET..I have hundreds of thousands of rounds through dozens of guns,I still would not totally trust my life to a gun that doesn't have a few rounds through it after a total cleaning.When I shoot it,it's dirty,when it's just cleaned,it simply is not the same gun yet..I know what I'm capable of,I want to know exactly what my gun is gonna do.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Did we not connect?
Dave
Things can happen when you clean a gun.A piece of foreign material could be left in it from when you took it apart to clean it,there may be a problem with a missaligned part from assembly,ETC,and,a clean gun doesn't shoot to the same point of aim as a dirty one.If by some chance I have to draw in a hostage situation and aim for the left eye,I don't want to miss because my gun isn't shooting exactly to point of aim..Quit YET..I have hundreds of thousands of rounds through dozens of guns,I still would not totally trust my life to a gun that doesn't have a few rounds through it after a total cleaning.When I shoot it,it's dirty,when it's just cleaned,it simply is not the same gun yet..I know what I'm capable of,I want to know exactly what my gun is gonna do.If you want to clean your guns every time you shoot them,go right ahead,I'm just telling you why I don't.