1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 AM

Coonan 357 accuracy ?

Spent some time in the last couple days reading all i can find on the new Coonan 357 .

Pretty much made up my mind to buy one , but the only thing i haven't found ( not saying it's not there , just that "I" couldn't find it) , is any serious accuracy testing of the pistol.

I am mostly interested in the pistol for the (relatively) flat shooting 357 round , and i would like to hear of some bench rest tested groups at 25- 50 - even 100 yds ........

I used to shoot handgun silhouette, (50 to 200 meter targets) and thought this would be a great gun for "plinking" at longer ranges.

thanks

Joe
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 PM

You should hit up Sarge (Sarge43). He has one. IIRC he had a thread about them too.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 AM

crashover

I read his reviews , and all the other threads i could find.

After his initial range report, and suiteable break in , he had talked about doing an accuracy test.

Don't know if he ever got that far ,or if i just can't find the posting.

I did a web search , and found one article by John Taffin, where he had tested several types of ammo ,and found one or two brands that shot groups of just over 1" at 20 yards.

But that is all the info i could find on actuall accuracy tests......

Hoping i can come up with a few more "range reports" before i decide to buy one .

thanks

Joe
Old 05-06-2012, 11:27 AM

I bought a Coonan Classic some months ago. Actually, I bought it several months ago, but had to wait about 6 more months before I actually got it. I bought it directly from Coonan, not through a dealer.

My shooting report is nothing scientific. It's basically going out to my farm and shooting at different metal and paper targets. Nothing like what Hickock45 has, but it's still a nice set up.

Anyway, the Coonan is extremely accurate. I own MANY 1911's, and it's every bit as accurate as many of my better 1911's (Les Baer Custom V, Fusion Pro Elite Tactical, 6" Longslide Fusion/Baer hybrid, Colt Combat Elite XSE, Ed Brown Special Forces, etc). I can't say it's any more accurate as I haven't performed anything scientfic, just target shooting on the farm off hand. And that is almost exclusively with inexpensive WWB .357mag. From 30 yards I can consistently hit the 4.5" metal spinner targets I have set up.

Surprisingly the recoil of the .357mag is not much different than with a .45acp when shooting the Coonan vs a 1911.

It is without question the most fun 1911 (at least I consider it a 1911, I know many purists don't) to shoot that I own. And every bit as accurate as some of the best 1911's available.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:44 PM

accuracy

I also own a really beautiful Coonan, So far I have around 2000 rounds through it and can say its VERY accurate!! I make my own loads of 12.5 gr of 2400, under a 158 gr. FMJ-FP, and this load is very accurate!! Feeds really well, and is fairly inexpensive. I absolutely love my Coonan, and I think I will use it for my next permit test!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 PM

My experience without any formal range testing is that it's one of the most accurate pistols I own and I own a bunch of pistols. A very accurate gun that can be a bear to shoot accurately at least with full-house, magnum loads. The old flinch that I thought was gone years ago came rolling back when I first started shooting it. I found that practicing with reduced 1000-1100 fps loads really helped.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 AM

My old Coonan B shoots 3 inches low at 10 yrs so I shoot 3 inches higher at 7 it's spot on.
The windage is spot on at any distance.
I mainly use factory 158gr PMC will start reloading soon.
Will start Steel shooting so I need a OWB holster and mag carriers.

DAN WESSON VALOR, DAN WESSON CLASSIC CBOB,
COONAN B .357, MAG SIG 226R SAO ELITE, SIG 238.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 AM

I am still learning mine but after just my first range trip, I think this is may be the most accurate "large bore" pistol I own.

It is taking the title from my 7" barreled Ruger Bisley Hunter in 41 Mag which says a lot.

I will need to shake my Coonan out at 60 yards for a fair comparason, but, at a rested 25 yards it is a 10 ring shooter with 2 different random factory ammos.

my 2 cents. rc