1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 05-05-2012, 12:55 AM

Colt's Conversion Kit Support?

I have three older Colt's .22 units, just wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction. One has a bent to hell ejector, I'd like to find a couple replacements. Is there any place that has these for sale, or someone who makes a repro part?

Also, at the risk of exposing my ignorance, is there a difference between a regular slide stop and a conversion unit piece? None of mine came with the originals, yet a regular one seems to function just fine. Is this something I should be replacing or just continue?

Thanks in advance for any insight on these two issues.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:44 AM

If you search gunbroker with Colt Ace as key words, you'll find numerous bits listed for SM Aces and conversions. Norwich gun parts had a listing a couple of months ago for ejectors at $35 each--it looked like they a bunch of them.

Or, you could go direct to Norwich and probably find the same thing formthe same price.

I think Ace slide stops (stamped #2 I believe) are hard to find. If you have one that works, sounds like your gtg.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 AM

I think the name you are looking for is Numrich gun parts.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harnasb View Post
I think the name you are looking for is Numrich gun parts.
Correct. It was midnite.

Looked on gunbroker and the ejectors are no longer listed. Suggest a call direct to NUMRICH.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexican Kerry View Post
Also, at the risk of exposing my ignorance, is there a difference between a regular slide stop and a conversion unit piece? None of mine came with the originals, yet a regular one seems to function just fine. Is this something I should be replacing or just continue?

Thanks in advance for any insight on these two issues.
Yes there is a different slide stop. The original Ace part is marked #2 - in many cases a slide stop for the .45 or .38 Auto +P (Super) will fail to lock the slide back when the magazine follower is a rimfire.

EGW offers an aftermarket slide stop for the Ace - IIRC correctly the EGW part may be marked A for Ace rather then #2. The EGW part also allows use of a fatter shaft fitted to position the rimfire barrel more solidly in place.

Obviously if locking the slide back is not an issue it won't much matter and if yours work so much the better.

As often factory parts seem to be exhausted barring any special runs so for a genuine Colt it's Numrich/Gun Parts or auction sites or ...... I have an original and one from EGW and find the EGW entirely satisfactory.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:26 PM
1911 Aficionado

When ebay was a valuable resource for gun parts, I bought a couple of extractors, and a spare chamber. I didn't "need" the parts, so there was never any urgency, I'd just keep an eye out and bid when something turned up. Maybe keep an eye on gunbroker.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:07 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'm in Canada so I'm kind of limited when it comes to American suppliers who are able or willing to ship internationally. Numrich looks promising, now I just need to find a few more things to add so that its a worthwhile order.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:02 PM

FWIW, some .22-45 conversions will function without the .22 ejector. Mine does.