1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Another heavy flanged barrel question

For those of you who own/have shot a wilson with a heavy flanged barrel, such as a tacticle elite, stealth or elite professional, does the flanged barrel affect the balance of the gun. When aiming does it feel nose heavy? Also, does the flanged barrel noticeably reduce the recoil of the gun compared to a similar wilson without the flanged barrel. I ask because i'm trying to decide if the flanged barrel is worth the extra cost. If the flanged barrel reduces recoil significantly and doesn't negatively affect how the gun balances , shoots and handles it might be worth the cost to me. Thanks in advance for any input, insights and/or real world experiences with these guns. By the way the gun i would be looking at would be in 9mm which might make the flanged heavy barrel unnecessary if they already have light recoil. What do you think?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 PM

I have two Tactical Supergrades, one in 9mm and one in 45cal. The 9mm is extremely soft shooting with very little muzzle flip.

Just my personal taste, but I think the flanged barrel isn't attractive.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 AM

The Tactical Elite (45 cal) dose feel nose heavy compaired to a standard barrel 1911. It dose seem to affect the ballance of the gun but I would not say it has a negitive impact when shooting. It just feels a little diffrent. The flange type barrel dose reduce the recoil of the gun approx 20%
The Elite Pro dose not feel nose heavy like the Tac Elite dose. It feels more like standard barrel 1911. Are they worht the extra cost? In 45 acp I would say yes. In 9mm I would say no.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the replies. Wilson has so many guns that are so similar it is really difficult to narrow down exactly what you want/need. I want a soft shooting fun range gun. Based on others experience, it seems that any wilson 1911 in 9mm will be a relatively soft shooter even in the compact category. But even narrowing it down to a wilson 9mm compact there are still a ton of decisions to make from the specific compact and the specific options for that compact! This is definitely a process that require a lot of thought and research. So thanks again for the input as this is helping me slowly get an idea of what i need to order to get my ideal pistol.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM

I have two TE's. One in .45 and one in 10mm. I have shot multiday combat courses with the .45. I do think it gives you an advantage in follow up shot time. When I draw, I find that I get on target in the same way as with my CQB. In other words, I don't notice much difference in pointability or getting a sight picture between the TE and the CQB.

I love my 10mm TE. It is much better at getting back on target than my friends Delta Elite. I hear they aren't making them in 10 mm anymore. Don't know if there is a story there, but I love mine.

I love my classic 1911's, but I really like the performance of the flanged barrel from Wilson. I am thinking of getting a Stealth. As far as looks go, you can judge that from all the pics on the net and in this forum. I recommend them and think they are definitely worth it. I would agree that in 9mm there wouldn't be much advantage for the extra price.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 AM

I bought my Wilson Combat Stealth because was attractive, available & I had the cash. Of course, I also really like the looks of the heavy flanged barrel and its soft shooting characteristics.

Last edited by Swed; 05-03-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:29 PM

I do like the looks of the stealth but i also like the look of the cqb. I wish i could shoot both side by side and feel the differences myself. It's great to get info on others' experiences but nothing beats personal experience. The problem is, finding wilsons as range rental guns is as scarce as hens teeth around here. I guess i just have to keep haunting guns shops till i find some to look at and handle.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:32 PM

I have a Tac Elite and I love it. The gun doesnt really feel nose heavy to me, feels similar balance wise to my TRP Operator. The recoil is a little softer and I feel I can run it a lil harder and faster. I personally like the looks as well. I think you will be very happy with that set up, especially in a 9, the recoil is going to be very light feeling.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:12 PM

East bay cop the tactical elite makes me want to buy a full size wilson. I really like the looks of it and in 9mm with that heavy barrel it would have to shoot like a dream!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43074 View Post
the gun i would be looking at would be in 9mm which might make the flanged heavy barrel unnecessary if they already have light recoil. What do you think?
Unnecessary for a full-size, steel 1911 in 9mm. My only 9mm 1911 is not a Wilson (S&W 1911 Pro Series), and it shoots nicely with very little recoil. If there were any less recoil, it would largely defeat the benefit of range practice with this particular 1911 (due to having little of the feel of firing a true 1911 chambered in 45acp).

Now if you're looking at a Stealth in 9mm, I think the benefit would be more noticeable and of more practical value (due to greater felt recoil in a compact 9mm).

As far as the firearm's balance is concerned, more weight in the front does slightly change things ... but in my two similar firearms (Hunter with a large double-chambered comp and the Carry Comp), they both feel very nice in my hand ... and the integral barrel/compensator surely adds more weight than the simpler flanged barrel.

Also, unless you have a definite, well thought-out reason for chosing a 9mm chambering (e.g., lower cost ammo for range practice), I might re-think the selection of a 9mm chambering, especially in a super-premium 1911 such as a Wilson. You're paying for the best, so choose the chambering wisely (in context of your needs and your pre-existing 1911s).

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 05-05-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 PM

Ask Joe Rankin about how he feels about the Tac Elite in 9mm. If I recall correctly from an old concersation, I think he highly endorsed it.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:52 PM

You raise some good points and questions chrysanthemum. If i decide to get a full size pistol i believe i would get the tactical elite ( if they still make it in 9mm) because it has a lot of nice features for its price. The choice between the stealth and pro elite is a little tougher. They are both very similar in dimension and price. The pro elite has some nice features (like all elite models have eg all bullet proof parts, slide top serrations etc.) but is a little longer in the grip which, if i could handle one, might feel better to me than the stealth grip or might not . My initial use of the gun will be range fun, no competitive shooting, and possible carry in the future when i am able to get used to the 1911 platform. I definitely want the 9mm as i really don't care for the recoil of the 45. It's a difficult decision because, in all honestly, the cqb in either full size or compact would probably work just fine for my intended uses! But when you spend the money to buy a wilson you want to get "exactly" what you want and not settle for "close". I'll keep reading, researching and thinking it thru and eventually, hopefully, come up with the right choice for me. Thanks again to you and to all who so generously took the time to share your thoughts, insights and experiences with me.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Thanks wetsum3 for the post. I have read several posts praising the tac elite in both 9 and 45 and if i go full size i feel confident that would be the model i would go with. My only concern with full size is it would limit my ability to carry it in the future. I know many people carry a full sized pistol but i, personally, would not. Still i may never carry a 1911 as i have a couple of carry guns already that i am happy with. Maybe i should just go full size and enjoy it as a range and night stand duty gun!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:02 PM

Looks like you have the knowledge + input here from others to make a great decision.

If you're fired a 45acp 1911 and found it a bit uncomfortable, then you are wise to choose 9mm.

If I could, allow me to mention one thing that might be wholly irrelevant -- but if it is relevant, I should mention it. This being if you've fired 45acp polymer guns, you can experience very sharp recoil with some of those designs. A 1911 in 45acp has much less felt recoil than many or most polymer designs. I mention this only in the possible event that your experience with the 45acp might have been in a different platform (than the 1911).

The Tactical Elite in 9mm (hopefully it's still available) would definitely be the lowest recoil solution a person could possibly find in a 1911. If there were any less recoil, it wouldn't be strong enough to drive the cycling functions of the 1911. And it would definitely be comfortable for long sessions on the range.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 05-05-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:16 PM

It's funny you should mention shooting a .45 in a 1911 platform. I had no interest in a 1911 pistol until my son asked me if i wanted to go to a local gun store and help him look for a new 1911. He had just gotten a raise at work and wanted to buy a gun to celebrate. After some looking he ended up buying a loaded springfield armory. We took it to the range and shot a couple hundred rounds through it. I really liked the natural pointability of the 1911. It was not only fun to shoot but i was actually pretty good, for me, with it. The only thing i didn't like was the recoil. Honestly it kind of wore on me after about 50 rounds. Still i really liked the gun and came home and did some internet searches to see if they came in a 9mm. I started comparing entry level pistols and worked my way up to wilsons. Again, in all honestly, for the use i will put the gun to i could probably be perfectly happy with a sa loaded, a dan wesson pointman or guardian, kimber, etc.. But once i started reading about the wilsons i kind of got hooked on others' enthusiasm and praise for the wilson guns, so here i am!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43074 View Post
Honestly it kind of wore on me after about 50 rounds. .. But once i started reading about the wilsons i kind of got hooked on others' enthusiasm and praise for the wilson guns, so here i am!
Shooting a lot of 45acp rounds "gets to me" as well. The very reason I take a 9mm to the range with me!!

With Wilson, you've found the best of the 1911 world ... and you'll be delighted with your acquisition. (Hope you know there's a long wait time).

Old 05-06-2012, 07:07 AM

One of the sales guys at the range said their wilson rep told them they were 2,000 guns behind on their build list. He had one wilson in stock, i think it was some supergrade model (honestly can't remember now), and he said they normally carry 4-6 in stock. I can put up with the wait, i just wish i could figure out which model i want to wait for!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 AM

I have shot 5" 4.25" and 3" guns in Bull barrel, compensated, with rail, but I have never shot a heavy flange, they did lower recoil and they did change the balance but I was never bothered by it.

Looks like it would be a really sweet idea to put a heavy flange on a home defense 1911 with a rail mounted light for ultimate recoil reduction kind of similar to the reasoning for the Tactical LE or Springfield's Railed TRP. Might add unnecessary weight for a CCW or Duty.