1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 05-05-2012, 09:49 AM

Need info on two Springfield 1911s

Hello,

I am considering buying a Springfield 1911 for target shooting. Unfortunately they are not easy to get here in Germany, and significantly more expensive than in the US. There's one at an auction website that has sparked my interest. It's a new Springfield 1911 Trophy Match in two-tone with 5 inch barrel, the same model as this one:
http://www.vdb-waffen.de/de/gebrauch...889.html?s=246

What would this gun be worth on the American market?

As an alternative, I stumbled upon this gun:
http://ww.w.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3763902

According to the seller, it's as good as new and appears to have a 6 inch barrel and a tuned trigger. I wrote him a mail, but he hasn't replied yet, so here's where you guys could help me out:
What kind of Springfield 1911 is this?

How would both guns compare in terms of worth and performance?

Auction number 1 (the Trophy Match) runs out tomorrow, so quick help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 AM

a new trophy match is about $1100-$1200 USD

That one is on the rare side since it is 2 tone. It also has a 5" barrel.

The second gun is also a 5", but has a compensator on the front, so it looks like a 6"

Of the 2, I'd get the first one.

Last edited by Quack; 05-05-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 AM

Personally, I would select the Trophy Match. In my location, they sell for a bit more--$1300+. Springfield Customer Service is without equal, although that may not be important or relevant if the gun is outside the US. As far as I know, the two-color Trophy Matches are not available in thr States. The new Trophy Matches also have a magwell which the example in the picture does not.

The alternative is a heavily modified Springfield which may be a wonderful pistol, but could also be a real nightmare, and finding someone to work on it could be difficult if not impossible. It's probably tuned for competition ammunition which may or may not be easily available. Especially, if you're new to 1911s, stay away from this one.

Good luck, and report back when you choose
Old 05-05-2012, 06:37 PM

Thanks for your help, guys!
I'm indeed new to 1911s. The only one I've fired so far was a Colt Gold Cup. It fit my hand much better than the H&K P8 I'm used to. I fired just three mags with the Colt, but the groups were much tighter than those I achieve with a P8 or Glock 17.
I'm hoping that I can get similar results from a Springfield.

I'll go for the Target Match on the auction website, but I fear that I might not be the only one... I'll let you know if I get it!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Well, there was another guy who wanted it really badly... basically the auction was between the two of us, and he got it for 885 Euros ($1162 USD).

Anyway, thanks for your help!