1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Member's Market > Want to Buy (WTB)

Old 05-05-2012, 02:57 PM

WTB USGI 1911 parts

Hello all! I am looking for a rear sight and barrel busing for a USGI 1911 WWII production. I don't think it matters but it is an Ithaca model. If anyone has one or knows where to find them pm me or post here. Thank you.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:08 PM

It actually does matter......... since WWII Ithaca production had 2 distinct different finishes depending on serial number.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:29 PM

What were the two finishes? I am still new to these and I am trying to put a butchered up gun back to some kind of "normal" I am sure the bushing I have is not original as it looks like it is aluminum on the outside. I think the rest of the gun is a pakarized finish but not sure it kind of has a greenish grey color to it. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:58 PM

Early production was Du-Lite and later production was Parkerizing..... sometimes hard to tell the difference to the untrained eye.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:56 PM

What is best teller to distiguish the two, oldcanuck?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 PM

Well all I found a bushing but still need the sights. I can use just the rear but if you have a front and rear set that will work also. The slide is the parkarized finish so I need the sights to match that. Just let me know what you have and how much. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Du-Lite blue is an actual chemical blue applied over a sandblasted surface. Parkerizing is a phosphate coating also applied after sandblasting. The two will look very similar at first glance, but Du-Lite will look blue/grey while Parkerizing is clearly grey or grey/green, or sometimes a dark charcoal.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 PM

dsk Thanks for the info mine is for sure the pakerizing it has the grey/green tint to it. I recently got a rear sight from a LGS and the color was way off and it was not in the best shape so I thought I would refresh this in hopes to find one to finish off the project. Thanks again for the info I always like learning about firearms it makes me know what to look for during purchases and trades.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 AM

Thank you, dsk. I knew about the park but the du-Lite I never really understood. But I do now. Appreciate it.