1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 05-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Traffic stop.

I guess this is kind of a poll. Would like to know if it is advisable to present your CCW along with your license to a LEO that pulled you over?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:51 PM

Was an early requirement in my state, but has since been dropped. I have presented it, but only when actually carrying. The LEO appreciated the notice, asked to see the gun, and let it go with that, no hassle. Would probably do it again.

I have been fortunate to have mostly interacted with intelligent/curtious officers. Although there are plenty of jerks out there, gotta say, if I spent most of every day working with stupid people, I'd be in a bad mood everyday also.

So I say if you've got nothing to hide, and your gun is in good working order, hand over the CCW and make the LEO's job a little easier.

Should add, check with your state laws as it is actually a requirement in some.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:04 PM

I would imagine it depends where you live. In Nevada, was told that it was not necessary or recommended- as it was said "why open up a potential can of worms". Additionally, I was told that the LE agencies here in the state would know if you have a CCW permit, it shows up when they run your name. However, if we are stopped in another state, DPS does not inform the inquiring LE agency that you posses the permit.

And if youre asked if you have a firearm, it was recommended to be honest, that you have a permit and whether or not you are carrying your weapon.

Hope this helped...

Doc

The Marines are looking for a few good men, and they get 'em, US Navy Corpsmen!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:04 PM

It is requirement in mine.

Hands on the wheel and have the CHL and CDL first at the window.

Dont take hands off the wheel and especially dont say "I have a gun" (You probably will get shot...) Let your permit do the talking for you.

Your friendly Traffic Cop will deal with you in whatever manner he or she desires.

I hope not to have a stop, have not had one for years.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Thanx for the advice. I am trying now to find out what the law is here in CT. I think I will ere on the side of caution and inform any LEO. I know I dont like surprises.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:14 PM

I don't believe it is a requirement here in Iowa, but I think I would be up front and tell the officer so that we were on the level. A lot of times I'll shed my cover garment in the car or truck and so my pistol would be visible if I were to lean forward to get into a glove box or reach for my wallet. I once had an officer in Pine Bluff WY notice my Weapon Permit card when I removed my license and asked if I was armed at the time. I was not because I did not believe WY accepted my permit and informed him as much. I was heading east from Utah and told him I planned on stopping and loading up when I crossed into Nebraska. When he came back from running my information he told me he got in touch with someone and found there was reciprocity between our states and told me to feel free to stay armed across WY on my next trip out. Nice guy, caught me doing nearly 55 in a 35 as I was headed out of town and let me off. My Wife and I were taking 30 home and I thought maybe I just missed a speed limit sign since I was a ways out of town already.

My dad was a police officer for 30+ years and I have gotten to know quite a few of them. Most that I know are pro carry and just want to know so that if they notice it they aren't surprised. Most of all they just prefer that you are polite and easy to get along with on a stop. The very few times I have been stopped I just go about it that way and it makes it easier on everyone I think.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:48 PM

In Virginia, we are NOT required to inform officers we are armed, UNLESS they ask. That said, in a traffic stop situation it is my policy to hand over my CCP along with my drivers license, that will most likely illicit a question such as " Sir, are you currently armed?" thereby allowing you to answer in the affirmative.

Things might not go so well if the officer walks up and you say " I have a gun " LOL., that said, many states your CCP is tied into your DMV records.

After all, a traffic stop for any officer is like a jump into the unknown, because they have NO idea who they are stopping, AND what type of mood they are in, if they are on the run, already have 2 strikes on their record and getting caught with a firearm would make it 3 strikes.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:55 PM

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click on a state, top tight corner, Must Inform Officer Yes/No.

I think it depends on the situation, but if you are acttually armed, probably best to let them have a heads up.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TresOsos View Post
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click on a state, top tight corner, Must Inform Officer Yes/No.

I think it depends on the situation, but if you are acttually armed, probably best to let them have a heads up.
Thanx for the link. Connecticut is a "NO" but I will.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:35 PM

I have an SOP for this. Doesn't matter what state I happen to be in although I don't go armed in the 15 states that are not reciprocal with Florida.

#1 Don't do any reaching or anything else but pull over and roll down the driver's side window. Turn off vehicle and place hands atop the steering wheel.

#2 When officer approaches, state that I have a concealed carry permit, am currently armed and ask how he would wish me to proceed.

That should result in a question about the location of the gun and location of my paperwork. I keep license and CWP in my wallet on my left hip, registration and proof of insurance in glove compartment and gun at 4 O'clock maybe IWB or OWB but cover is always on. I so inform the officer.

#3 Follow all directions promptly and make no sudden moves. In fact, I will gesture to where I'm going and wait to receive confirmation before proceeding.

Usually, by this time, the tension is gone and we get on with the business of why I was stopped in the first place.

Only been stopped twice, once in my town and once on the Turnpike. Smooth as silk both times.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:05 PM

I must not be doing something right.

I am fifty four years old. I have been pulled over a total of four times in my entire life. Out of those four times I have gotten two speeding tickets and two warnings.
The subject of wether I had a gun in the car or not never even came up. I am thinking professional behavior as well as reciprocity in terms of common sense made a really big difference.
I have no intention of altering my manner of dealing with public officials in the near future.
Your results may vary, I am pleased with mine.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 PM

My Police Chief told me not to unless I was asked to get out of the car (in which case something was already wrong).
Old 05-05-2012, 12:34 AM

I am required to inform by my state's ordinance. Fortunately, I have not been required to inform by circumstance.

If not required to do so, I would still inform out of courtesy. "Officer, for your safety and mine... "
"If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Romans 12:18
Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewetstone View Post
I guess this is kind of a poll. Would like to know if it is advisable to present your CCW along with your license to a LEO that pulled you over?
Yes.

Do not listen to anyone but cops who answer you.

They are who you have to deal with.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewetstone View Post
My state makes the CCW part of the driver's licensing process. When a LEO goes back to make a routine check of your license the CCW will be obvious. While not required, why not show him the license up front?

Kimber Super Match II, Kimber Rimfire Super
Springfield Range Officer, S&W M637