1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 PM

I agree thats about the goin price that i have seen any where. BUY IT!!!! you will love it.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 PM

Well im busy taking my UT/FL ccw course tomorrow, so Monday I will go down there and see what kind of deal I can make. Hopefully in a few Weeks once I get my pistol permit (if you need to know just look up NJ gun laws i'm not explaining it. Just know it sucks to try to buy firearms here.) from the local pd ill have a new baby cousin for my colt...
Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre04 View Post
Not bad for $900 shipped, at least according to me.
Typical wear from thumb safety and slide movement. LH side of the ambi safety has been ground down and blued. Much more comfy for a right handed shooter. See pic. This gun was purchased less than a month ago.

thanks to the folks offering to help with the sale. You folks rock. Just need someone to buy it so I can pick up my trp!

This just might be the ticket for you
Old 05-05-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtRG100 View Post
so im looking at an EMP 40. they had one at one of my LGSs and the price seemed a little high. $1250 new. i learned i had quite a few mutual friends with the guys that work there and i believe they would be willing to come down on the price.

i have a colt and love it. has never let me down at the range or anywhere for that matter. but i am new to SA. from reading this thread seems like they have great CS and great firearm in this little pistol

what do you guys think would be a good price? ive found them online for around 1000-1100 but after shipping and FFL transfer would be around 1150-1250
ColtRG100, check Specters04's post above, maybe what your looking for at a reasonable price too!

Last edited by jst1mortym; 05-05-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Just got my EMP back from Dave at Southridge Arms. He did the front strap in snake skin, added single sided safety, cut the barrel flush, rounded the mainspring housing, and finished it in satin black. I replaced all the firing components with EB products and installed a 10-8 trigger. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:36 PM

how much did that run you? If you don't mind me asking. Southridge is about 80 miles away from me.

Last edited by jonbondave; 05-05-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Finally got to the range with my repaired EMP 9. Put 150 rds through it, three different types of ammo, and not a single failure. I can see they filed the gr bushing to fit the barrel better as well as adjust the hammer, and change the barrel link. Love this gun, and SA service was great.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbondave View Post
how much did that run you? If you don't mind me asking. Southridge is about 80 miles away from me.
PM Sent
Old 05-05-2012, 08:05 PM

Picked up a 9mm EMP today, took it to the range, and wanted to note share my experience.

First off - what a beautiful pistol. I have a few 1911s in this same price range and I this gun does not disappoint. Fit and finish is really very nice.

But, beauty is only skin deep right? Off to the range.

I brought a 100 round box of bulk Winchester, 30 of my cream-puff reloads, 18 Golden Sabers, 18 Speer Gold Dot, and a box (25) of +P rounds using Barnes solid copper hollow points (factory rounds - can't remember the brand - box is gone).

I started with the WWB for 'break-in' and shot about 50 with no problems at all. Switched to the Golden Sabers and in two mags had one FTFeed. Shot the entire box of Barnes without any problem. Went back to the WWB and I did have one FTFire out of the last fifty. The pistol ran through two mags of Gold Dot without any problems. Finally, the gun fed my reloads with no problems at all. I thought these loads might have been problematic since they are very mild target loads - 4.0 grains of Bullseye pushing a Precision Delta 115 grain FMJ. I thought for sure I might have a stove-pipe or FTE, but the pistol ate 'em up.

Not a bad day, though I was bothered by the FTFire. I noticed that my EMP is striking the primers off center, much like some of the pictures I've seen here. Not sure if that contributed to the problem or not. I wasn't surprised by the FTFeed and will not pass judgment until I have many more rounds through the gun. Of course it may be that the pistol just doesn't like them, and I'm OK with that, as long as it feeds another HP reliably. Time will tell.

Accuracy was good - I'm definitely no marksman, and I shot it on par with my Kimber Ultra CDP II in .45 acp.

One minor quality issue that surprised me: When I got home and disassembled the pistol I found that two of the grip screws were cross-threaded in the frame bushings. The threads on the screws were a bit mangled and luckily I had a spare set of four screws for slim bushings. I now have stainless steel screws, which don't look too bad with the gray G-10 stocks.

Anyway - not trying to be negative as there's a LOT to like about this gun, just wanted to get my experience out there. I am hopeful that this gun will join the carry rotation at some point. It's just too darn pretty (and pricey) to be a range-only plinker.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 PM

I took my new EMP 9mm to the range for the first time yesterday. I put 200 rounds of 115 gr fmj through it without a problem.

My only functional concern is a disassembly and reassembly issue. There's a point where moving the slide on or off becomes more difficult. It's not impossible, it just requires more of a push than the slide of my 5" Kimber. At first I thought I had another problematic ejector (there's daylight between the ejector and the frame), but the sticking point when reassembling appears to be the disconnector being pushed under the firing pin stop. (I also tried taking the stop off before disassembling, and felt the same resistance removing the slide.) Could this be an issue of the disconnector (or sear spring) just being stiffer than that on my Kimber?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy357 View Post
The only ammo my EMP didn't like was Bitteroot Valley Remanufactured Ammunition bought from Surplus ammo....
My 9mm Glocks, Sigs, and others ate it up.
My EMP and 9mm Kimber CDP ultra jammed up every 5 to 7 rounds.

http://www.surplusammo.com/9mm-115-g...factured-bulk/

http://www.bvac-ammo.com/

Everything else runs fine thru it..
The BVAC (FMJ and JHP) has run through my .40 with no problems, so far.

I've been shooting bullseye on a local league using my S & W Model 39. I picked up some 9mm to run through that pistol. The ammo doesn't have anywhere near the punch that WWB or Federal Am. Eagle does. The Model 39 doesn't like it at all....and the 9mm ammo seems much dirtier than the .40.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 PM

Went to local shooting league tonight with my EMP. Shot the IDPA star target for the first time, cleared it both stages and managed to finish 3rd in a field of 15 shooters. Not bad considering the others were regulars with 5" guns and flared mag wells. Its a keeper!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWolken View Post
Went to local shooting league tonight with my EMP. Shot the IDPA star target for the first time, cleared it both stages and managed to finish 3rd in a field of 15 shooters. Not bad considering the others were regulars with 5" guns and flared mag wells. Its a keeper!
Wow thats great, I've been wanting to go try IDPA with mine. Did the other guys give you the stink eye for bringing a compact to the challange?
Good on ya!

I tell ya I can shoot better & farther on target with my EMP40 than my Kimber TLE/RL 5", I was at my local range down on the 50yd line shooting my AR pistol & decided on a whim to shoot my emp, I was able to get most rounds on a 10" target standing up off hand,,,, 150' away!! My wife & the guys next to us (and me) were blown away. Mines a keeper too!

My High Power Rocketry hobby;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAigaiK0YBI
Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 PM

AMAZING service!

I just need to say what a great and FAST job on my 2 EMP mags. I shipped Log Man 2 magazines on Monday the 7th and received back from him on the 11th. That is an amazing turn around and we are on opposite coasts. The quality of the work is just as everyone has stated. PERFECT. I just can't say enough good things about the entire transaction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2076.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	81460

Name:	IMG_2078.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	81461

Name:	IMG_2080.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	81462
Old 05-12-2012, 01:16 PM

Wes28376, very nice looking job Dave did with your emp. Kinda reminds me of polizei1's...The snake is unique to emp's, never seen that yet. I have a KC with the snake and it's one of my favorites. If I had to put the treatments in order it would be from snake, then chainlink, and finally checkering. The checkering on my emp's not bad at all but this is my choices with my other 1911's. I do think that somebody else here had the chainlink frt/msh treatments done on his emp if I remember..

It's good to read a lot of positives lately with respects to folks emp's. Mine is a great pistol. But in the near recent past it seems that some folks were having issues with ftf's and it looked to be a short trend. I've never given up on my emp and I currently carry it whenever possible!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM

Hello Gents!
Just joined and my 1st post...
I placed an EMP 40 on lay away on Monday... I had only seen it in pictures and went around to a few gun shops to see if they had one or if they even carried it. 3rd Shop had one from another customer that had it on lay away as well. I have to say that in pictures the gun looks spectacular, but there's nothing like having it in your hands!!!... Fell "in love" as soon as it was in my hands.
The shop sold it to me for $1,050.00 before taxes... it'll be home with me in a month!

I have read a bit on the thread and have seen some of the cool mods you guys have done... REALLY NICE!

Here's to hoping mine comes out of the box with no bugs!

Have a great day.

Last edited by pipeto; 05-17-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 PM

Gratz.

Mine is a few months old and had the typical 1911 break in issues. It has been at least 700 rds without an issue and has probably 1100 rds through it.

Make sure you have Logman do some mags if you intend to carry. It does make a difference in printing.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 PM

Has anyone had any luck fitting STI parts on the EMP's?
I'm looking at doing the Polymer trigger, Square hammer, Sear, and disconnect from STI... not too sure if I should do the Highrise Beavertail as well.
What do you guys think?...
Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeto View Post
I'm looking at doing the Polymer trigger, Square hammer, Sear, and disconnect from STI... not too sure if I should do the Highrise Beavertail as well.
The EMP trigger bow is shorter than standard. So the trigger must be EMP specific.

LOG

Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
The EMP trigger bow is shorter than standard. So the trigger must be EMP specific.

LOG
That sucks!... I love the way that trigger looks!!!...
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeto View Post
Harrison makes some smooth faced EMP specific triggers.

http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/categ...field-emp.aspx

Dawson makes a flat trigger for it.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...311-1326147391

10-8 makes a couple as well.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...LD-EMP-TRIGGER

I feel you should get the gun and put 200 rounds thru before even considering replacing parts in it.
You may find you like it the way it is.

But for future reference;
the 15 re-engineered parts in the EMP:
slide
frame
left grip panel
right grip panel
firing pin
firing pin spring
extractor
plunger tube
plunger spring
trigger
magazine tube
magazine follower
magazine spring
magazine base plate
magazine base pad
Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 AM

Thanks Zippy!
I had seen the list while reading through the thread, thanks for the re-post... Now I don't have to hunt for it!!...

First thing I'll do is take it to the range to break it in, and see if it's not malfunctioning out of the box. I'll have a good idea of what I like and don't at that point, but I was just looking ahead at the parts I'd like to replace to make it "my own" if you catch the drift... The other thing I was looking at was the slim magwell from STI as well. I saw a picture of an EMP here with one of those (not sure what brand it was) and I really like that option on it as well.

Thanks again on the input!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 AM

pipeto, the magwell you saw might have been a Smith & Alexander. The magwell has to be custom fit for the EMP because of the smaller frame. S&A has a EMP frame that they use to make the magwell. I have one on my EMP and the best part is S&A does not charge any extra for it. The other thing you will need to do is get new internals for the MSH. I called Springfield and told C/S what I was doing and they sent me a new pin, cap and 19lb mainspring at a fair price. Oh and don't forget a MSH cap pin (luckly I had a extra one). Good luck and enjoy your EMP.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:35 AM

40 s&w emp

Just had a conversation with my gunsmith and learned a few things about my EMP 40 and Sig 45 ACP 1911.

The EMP has had a trigger job and trips at 4.2 lbs. - it breaks like a glass rod, super clean. One of the best I have had the experience shooting.

Seems that the front sight problem was very common according to the smith - I had the problem and lost it in the desert sand -Springfield was super and took care it quick at no charge. Also replaced a mag that was bad NQA.

I told him about my experience with FTE a few times, he asked if I was using WWB ammo -and yes I was. Explained that WWB is a very light target load and frequently is the cause - he recommended other mfg with standard load and problem should be solved.

Any similar experience with you guys??

Also had a trigger job done on the Sig - very nice and now looking forward to the break-in w a 45.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 AM

I've shot WWB in my EMP and it works just fine. I've shot some low powder loads and unless you're going really low, it'll shoot them. You do need a little bit heavier loads because of the stiff recoil spring, but WWB should be just fine, as it was for me. Mine was, 9mm however. But that said, I wouldn't expect any caliber to make a difference.
1911 Addicts