1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ruger

Old 05-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Ruger 1911 pros and cons

I own a lot of rugers mostly in long guns my favorite being #1's, have one single action pistol 22/22wmr. Love it, its a fun gun.
My question bought a Ruger 1911 today based on everything i had heard about it the last 2 years.
$699+tax out the door, its beautiful, like my bride of 33 years.
Any comments goog or bad.

Gary
Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM

Its is worth the money, not a custom gun but it is a 650-700 dollar gun
Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 PM

COOl, thats what i wanted to hear, I like to play with parts get burrs uneven places whatever. I feel this may be a good gun to do that, before buying after market parts ???

Gary
Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 PM

I haven't had my SR1911 for a week yet but after two quick range sessions....it's a keeper. I think Ruger got the looks and features right and I have no plans to change anything....maybe tritium sights down the road. I need to get into the loading room and cook up some ammo. The SR has functioned perfectly with a variety of different loads in both cast and jacketed.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 PM

It's a Ruger, It's a 1911. That's all I needed for Pro's to buy one. The price was icing on the cake.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 AM

Its hard to think of any 'cons.' In terms of performance, the only thing I found is that mine won't feed steel Tulammo. That's not a big deal though as I'm not a fan of that stuff anyways. The only other thing is that I'd like to have a checkered front strap. But I guess for $725 I can't expect to have that. I recently put a EB Maxi-well on mine.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmotril View Post
It's a Ruger, It's a 1911. That's all I needed for Pro's to buy one. The price was icing on the cake.
This too has been my reasoning. I have one laid away and am just waiting to get a day off work to pick it up.

I have owned Ruger Firearms for 25+ years with zero issues. I know this one will not disappoint.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 AM

As someone new to gun ownership, I'm nowhere near a gunsmith - Actually I wouldn't know what to smooth out or file anyway. With that being said - I'm one of those people who, when they buy something - I'm pickier than crap, if I have to get it "modified or adjusted" to work the way I think it should OOB - it gets sold or traded for something else. However, I am a tinkerer by nature - but modifying something for "better" function is something I love to do as well.

The ruger has been a pleasant experience for me (actually all of them have!) I have found no reason in 1,000 rounds to change anything. I love shooting it even more than my Buckmark. I can't comment on if it's worth the price since I really don't have enough knowledge to compare it against. But to me, I feel it's worth way more than I paid for it, and I wouldn't sell it - even if offered more than I paid.

Last edited by anothernewb; 05-03-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 AM

I have 6 1911s at the moment with the SR1911 being the lowest in cost. It is by no means the lowest in performance though. The only thing I would want to improve on it are a fiber optic front sight (Dawson), arched MSH (personal preference) and a bit of trigger work. Actually, I'll probably change the entire lock mechanism, hammer, sear and trigger. The trigger isn't bad, a slightly creepy 4lb 2oz, but most of my guns are in the 3.5# range and I know a good smith that will get me that last little bit. Probably all Ed Brown parts.

As to reliablility, the thing has yet to have any problems other than a grip screw head that popped off. A phone call to Ruger got me 4 new screws and 4 bushings, gratis. That's what I call customer service.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 PM

All of mine have been perfect, with no issues. I have tired to kill one of mine . It's seen Gunsite 2X and done 3 other gun classes without a hitch. Take the money part out of the equation, the Ruger is a very nice gun. It shoots as well, if not better, than most of of the production guns I own. The only downs I see on this gun are availability, the use of black parts (cosmetic thing for me, not a function issue) and the 7 and 8 round magazine (I would prefer 2 8 round magazines).
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM

Well, you have told me everything I wanted to hear, bought my first Ruger a 22/22mag single action in 1976, tried to count without looking, best I can do is 3 wheel guns 5 long guns and the 1911. Only one i ever got rid of was the 44mag tore myhand up. I figure the 1911 will do nothing but go up. Maybe a 550 to 700, but looks and feels like a 850 to 1000. Love my Rugers....

THANKS

Gary
Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 AM

I stopped at Scheels sports (Appleton Wis) the other day and asked about an SR1911. They had one but it was a "demo" only...not for sale. I didn't tell the clerk I already had one and he pulled out a new Springfield Armory and tried to interest me in that. Can't remember which model it was but the price was $899. I thought the trigger on my SR was a tad heavy but that SA must have been over 7 lbs....ridiculous. The overall fit and finish wasn't too bad but not quite as good as my SR. It also had a big 'ol idiot scratch...one of the sales staff was apparently demonstrating field stripping to a customer. I'm new to 1911's even though there are three in the stable now but I left there smug in the knowledge that if the SR1911 and that particular SA were side by side for the same price the SR would definitely get the nod....even without the big smilie on the SA frame. Also...the "Made in Brazil" left me a little cold. Don't mean to offend any SA fans...I'm sure they make some fine guns.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM

They are worth the money.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:42 PM

I paid $669.99 plus tax for both my SR1911's. They're a lot of gun for the price range they are in. In my honest opinion, I think that this gun should be in a area of $900 for what get for a gun. I bought a second one and I'm keeping it brand new for this up coming projected Ruger shortage.