1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM

1911 Pro Series 9mm issues/questions

I picked up a 1911 Pro Series in 9mm this past weekend. #178047
Using the stock Wilson Combat magazines.

The gun shoots good for a magazine or two but then starts to have issues. Most of the time the round ejects and the next round enters the chamber but the slide does not close entirely. There also are a few instances where either the round would not extract or the next round would not feed into the chamber. Also the slide does not always stay open after the last round. After the second mag or so, its close to a 75% failure rate. Same issue with both magazines.

I've shot it twice now and had issues both times. Shot about 50rds each time. Using Blazer Brass and UMC ammo. Cleaned in between sessions and oiled per instructions.

Any thoughts? I'm new to 1911s.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 PM

Had an similar issue with mine with one of the mags. I dissembled the mag. and cleaned it. Problem fixed. When I had the issue the gun seemed to operating in slow motion with FTF.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 PM

Welcome to the forum! Nice choice in first 1911. For me since you said you cleaned it, I would try another ammo. During break in guns can be kinda ammo funny. Try like a Winchester White box or Federal and see if your issue continues. Also 2 other things, keep your magazines loaded and really lube your gun. Magazines need to "break in" and 1911's run beter wet.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 PM

A new 1911 needs to be OVER LUBED. If there is such a thing. Wet that puppy down and see if that helps. FP-10, Mobil 1 10-30.
Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 PM

One other note, it does not eject cases very far. Typically at the 4 or 5 o'clock position, roughly 8 to 12". It's common for them to hit my right forearm.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romack991 View Post
One other note, it does not eject cases very far. Typically at the 4 or 5 o'clock position, roughly 8 to 12". It's common for them to hit my right forearm.
Recoil springs can toss them across the room or at your feet. I like them in little piles near my feet. I assume this is a new gun, if so shoot more like several hundred before changing anything. The gun will wear in after a few hundred rounds then you can adjust extractor tension and springs to get the gun to put shells where you like them.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 PM

Same thing happened to mine (but in .45 ACP). My gunsmith grinded down ever so slightly the bottom of the barrel closest to feed ramp. Now it feeds flawlessly.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 AM

Well it almost went back to Smith but now it seems to be breaking in. Rem Oil and CLP didn't seem to be keeping it lubed well enough so I switched to some Mobil1 I had left over from an oil change. Between that and hand cycling it over 500 times, it seems to be breaking in. The only significant wear I saw was a 2mm wide spot on the top of one barrel lug and then the corresponding top of the slide. Friday shot 50rds and had roughly eight failures. Yesterday shot 50 rds again and had one. Mags held slide open as well. Hopefully it'll continue to smooth out and become reliable so I won't have to send it back.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 AM

I just got my SW1911 9mm Pro back from our S&W service centre - they put a new extractor in, will be shooting it tomorrow in testing and IPSC, I had a failure to extract every 150 rounds on average, bottom of extractor was a pretty big radius, new one is not so big, should solve the only issue I had with the gun in 2500 rounds.

I have the same wear on top of the barrel / inside the slide, this might have been a little too tight on your gun and causing it to bind too much and not close up fully.

I got some metal mag followers for mine from Brownells - makes it a bit easier to load the magazines, doesn't compress the spring quite so much, and most importantly won't wear out from pushing on the slide release when empty, my main concern really.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:00 AM

Rem Oil and CLP didn't seem to be keeping it lubed well enough

BINGO

Rem oil is junk and clp is good for ARs, (IMO)

Get some Militec and you will be good to go.

Also you may want to get some lower powered recoil springs and try different ones to see what your gun will run on.

Bob
Old 05-05-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Head View Post
I just got my SW1911 9mm Pro back from our S&W service centre - they put a new extractor in, will be shooting it tomorrow in testing and IPSC, I had a failure to extract every 150 rounds on average, bottom of extractor was a pretty big radius, new one is not so big, should solve the only issue I had with the gun in 2500 rounds.

I have the same wear on top of the barrel / inside the slide, this might have been a little too tight on your gun and causing it to bind too much and not close up fully.

I got some metal mag followers for mine from Brownells - makes it a bit easier to load the magazines, doesn't compress the spring quite so much, and most importantly won't wear out from pushing on the slide release when empty, my main concern really.
I had the same failure to extract fired 9MM cases with mine with a variety of ammo. It's back at S&W now and I hope they fix it. Let me know how your Pro works. It looks like Julie used her 1911 Pro in 9MM to win High Lady at the SS Nationals this year as she did a few years ago.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 AM

I got mine back this weekend, shot 250 rounds through it, then 60ish in an IPSC competition, it was flawless! The extractor looked as expected. There isn't much difference, but it does have more grabbing area down the bottom now.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 PM

Issues seem to be worked out. I have not had a failure since my last report. Shot roughly 300 rounds through it since then. Ejects brass much nicer now as well. About 3ft from me in a small area. I'm a lot happier with it.

This was 50 rounds at roughly 10 to 12 yds.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:43 AM

Not too shabby! I get about the same accuracy, I will admit it doesn't seem to be the most accurate gun I own. I think that mainly comes down to the oversize bore, which also contributes to the leading I get. My Beretta 92FS shoots a little tighter, and that thing doesn't have near the same muzzle-end barrel fit or lockup. My brass still ends up in a large area. I think it rolls on the concrete, haven't really bothered to take much notice.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romack991 View Post
Well it almost went back to Smith but now it seems to be breaking in. Rem Oil and CLP didn't seem to be keeping it lubed well enough so I switched to some Mobil1 .
I run Mobil 1 in my 9mm Pro and in all my Glocks and have for several years. The 9MM Pro has about 3000 rds through it without any problems.

Quote:
Electric Head; Not too shabby! I get about the same accuracy, I will admit it doesn't seem to be the most accurate gun I own. I think that mainly comes down to the oversize bore, which also contributes to the leading I get. My Beretta 92FS shoots a little tighter, and that thing doesn't have near the same muzzle-end barrel fit or lockup. My brass still ends up in a large area. I think it rolls on the concrete, haven't really bothered to take much notice.
I am casting my own bullets, 147 Gr sized .356. I tried sizing them @.357 but they wouldn't chamber. NO leading and seems very accurate, accurate enought to keep them in the X ring at 25 yards.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:48 AM

I had similar problem when I first had my SW1911Sc in .45. With me, it was a grip problem - I was too relaxed. I strengthened my grip, and no problem. Called "limp wristing." I may be wrong on this, but I think 1911s are more sensitive than many other handguns in reference to a strong grip.
LTC Class A MA and NH Non-Resident Pistol
S&W 1911Sc E Series and M&P 9mm Full Size
Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 PM

Definitely not a limp wristing issue. This is my first 1911 but shot numerous ones previously. Also had several other experienced shooters fire it as well with same results. Barrel was just very tight to the slide and the CLP and rem oil were not keeping it lubed enough. Hand cycling hundreds of times and switching to a heavier oil did the trick. Also kept the wilson mags fully loaded to help break in the springs.

The more I shoot it the more I like the pistol. Haven't had a single issue since the previous post dated 4-29.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beans View Post
I am casting my own bullets, 147 Gr sized .356. I tried sizing them @.357 but they wouldn't chamber. NO leading and seems very accurate, accurate enought to keep them in the X ring at 25 yards.
I think I would need .358, I slugged the bore and got .357. I don't cast (yet... maybe) so I gotta go with what I can get, which so far hasn't been .358. I've been thinking about making a swager to squish the projectiles I buy then run them through a sizer to get .358. Surely that's not so far-fetched.