1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 PM

Gould & Goodrich

How would one rate the paddle holster made by them I am thinking of getting the OWB paddle 817 for open carry. I like leather holster and the 817 looks like it is well made any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 PM

The 1 holster I have had from them was an OWB made of flimsy leather. Not the best.
Remember, I have only had 1. ???
Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 PM

I have had one of their pancake holster for the the better part of a decade now.
It's good quality leather, and lined. It's much better than most other cookie cutter holsters.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
I would really be pissed off though if the quality has dipped since I bought this one.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM

I bought old new stock the new ones have the cheap looking plastic paddles the one I got was leather lined with neoprene towards your body. The new ones are just a cheap plastic paddle.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 AM

I have their #811 model that I bought about six years ago. IMHO, it's very well made and I'm perfectly satisfied with it. I'm certainly no leather expert, but the leather seems to be of good quality.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Regardless of the quality of the holster itself, the choice of a paddle holster for open carry seems a bad idea. I'm all for open-top easy draw IWB holsters for concealed carry, but if you are going to OC, I think you have a duty to insure that you cannot be easily disarmed. To me that means at least a level one retention holster and preferably a level two. A paddle holster is easily removed from your pants, gun intact. Not a good thing. Just as bad as you drawing it in a stressful situation and coming out the gun still holstered - hilarious when it happens at the range - disasterous when it happens when you need it the most.

JMHO

Adios,

PIzza Bob
Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
Regardless of the quality of the holster itself, the choice of a paddle holster for open carry seems a bad idea.

JMHO

Adios,

PIzza Bob
Couldn't agree more. However, the only time I wear a paddle is during the cooler weather and definitely the winter months when I have either a loose fitting jacket or coat hiding the rig. So, technically, I'm not open carrying.

In warmer weather, I'm always IWB.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:39 PM

I had a gould and goodrich holster for a while. Held together, but definetly a little on the cheap side.

I sold the gun it went with (on a trade in deal impulse where I got more for the gun that I paid for it) Consequently the holster went up for sale, I could hardly give the used holster away selling on ebay. Think I got 5 bucks for it plus 3 to ship.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:20 PM

I am 51 years old and have yet been so out of it that some one snuck up on me and stripped my pistol off my hip. I also cross draw a habit I got from carrying single action pistols open carry.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 PM

I have one for my 1911 and most of the time when I unsnap, the safety is already off......
Old 05-27-2012, 05:15 PM

About 10 years ago, I had a G&G paddle back with a thumb break for a S&W 4516. I used it for special assignments for the police department I worked for at the time.

One day, I was wearing it for a PR assignment and the holster broke loose from the paddle. The gun flipped upside down on my hip. I ended up having to lock my gun up and work the assignment unarmed.

I'm just lucky it was PR duty and not something dangerous.

I'll never buy another G&G product!