1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 AM

Esee Laser Strike

Although the name is not so desireable the knife is well designed. I was looking for something to fit between a esee 5 and izulu. Both of which are great. The LS so far seems to be just the ticket. I like the blade thickness, it seems to be strong enough for wood proccessing, battoning and all the while still be decent at slicing and field dressing game. The grip is comfortable and more round in profile where the esee 5 is much more blocky. Havent used the bow drill divot but it works great on the esse 5. Nice to know also that I have back up fire steel in the handle. This knife also appears it could be lashed to a stick and make a decent spear. I'll report back after cleaning some animals, pigs and squirrels.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:57 PM

nice, I was on the fence to get one myself, I got the Izula, and still thinking about yours, will wait to see what you think of it after some "real" use.
COTEP MEMBER #554
“True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others, at whatever cost.” -A. Ashe
Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 AM

I really like all the esee stuff. I have 5 izulas, a 4, a HEST, and will soon have a junglas. Great product with excellent heat treat and the best warranty a guy (or girl) could ask for. Eventually I imagine I will have at least one of each. I have had 2 3's and a 5 as well but passed them along in trades for other knives.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 PM

Update: Field dressed a 120lb boar hog tonight with the Laser Strike(factory edge). Very pleased with the results. I have been using a Puma Pro Hunter for the last 8 yrs cleaning game animals. This includes close to 70 pigs and a half a dozen deer and used the pro hunter exclusively. Well after the dismal failure of trying my first Esee purchase a Esee 5 for cleaning chores I got a Izula which is a great for food prep but a bit too small and short for all around duty. So I got this wild hair that maybe something in the middle can do both. What I like about the LS is the shape and length of the blade. It did a fine job gutting and splitting the rib cage. The pro hunter has a gut hook but LS worked like a charm no mistakes the length lets you work forward blade shape is perfect. Its thickness is about perfect for good strength but still being able to slice. While splitting the rib cage I plunged too deep and just about cut the heart into halves. For those of you who have not had the pleasure of cleaning pigs they are very tough on knife blades. Very course hair often packed with mud however their rib cage is soft and flexible. This thing passed with flying colors. I believe I have found one knife that does it all! Aside from the mall ninja name it is a well thought out knife.