1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Remington

Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
i've been told for the most part, south america.
Sounds like a rumor. No offense intended.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the only definite statement I've seen is Remington's literature. Everything else I've heard on this subject has been speculation and rumors.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 PM

I wonder where these rumors start. The only thing I can find about where they are made that's not "I heard ______" is on their website.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 PM

lemme put this "rumor" to rest once and for all with a call to remington at ilion, ny, tomorrow morning. i can guarantee that most of the parts are offshore and NOT made in the usa. wish it were otherwise, but look at the most important fact - any 1911 that's totally MADE IN THE USA - that is, labor AND parts, could never sell at a $620 street price. you think that's a rumor? then you must also believe in the tooth fairy. adios 'til tomorrow, muchacho's ...

ps - the rem/e-rpc website sez "These guns are built in our manufacturing facility in Ilion, NY." - there is a HUGE difference between BUILT and MADE.

Last edited by rfd; 02-27-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 AM

WELL ...

just got off the phone with 3 different people at the remington e-rpc factory in ilion, ny - a sales rep woman, and two men from the repair/service department. if we can all believe what they all just told me, it appears i need to eat a helping heapful of humble crow pie.

i was told that rem 1911r1 is MADE (cast, machined, etc.) in the ilion, ny, plant. who'da thunk? NOT ME!!! however, there may be a few outsourced minor parts, such as screws, pins, etc.

I WAS WRONG - for the very most part the remington e-rpc 1911 r1 is USA MADE, not just usa BUILT.

if you wish to follow up and confirm, call rem e-rpc at 877-801-1911 - speak both to sales/info and the repair/service department.

Last edited by rfd; 02-28-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
WELL ...

just got off the phone with 3 different people at the remington e-rpc factory in ilion, ny - a sales rep woman, and two men from the repair/service department. if we can all believe what they all just told me, it appears i need to eat a helping heapful of humble crow pie.

i was told that rem 1911r1 is MADE (cast, machined, etc.) in the ilion, ny, plant. who'da thunk? NOT ME!!! however, there may be a few outsourced minor parts, such as screws, pins, etc.

I WAS WRONG - for the very most part the remington e-rpc 1911 r1 is USA MADE, not just usa BUILT.

if you wish to follow up and confirm, call rem e-rpc at 877-801-1911 - speak both to sales/info and the repair/service department.
Thanks for checking into that! Seems like it would be a good marketing move for them to make a more definite statement about this, like Ruger does.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 AM

Just a point to ponder. Remington has made their reputation on long guns not handguns. This is their 1st foray into handguns since WW1. There are bound to be problems. Bad service is inexcuseable though.

Still waiting on mine. Thanks to our gun laws here, the automatons at NICS, and now the gunshop is closed for inventory.... Makes wonder if I should find a new, less stressful hobby.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt7d101 View Post
Just a point to ponder. Remington has made their reputation on long guns not handguns. This is their 1st foray into handguns since WW1. There are bound to be problems. Bad service is inexcuseable though.

Still waiting on mine. Thanks to our gun laws here, the automatons at NICS, and now the gunshop is closed for inventory.... Makes wonder if I should find a new, less stressful hobby.
the 1911r1 has been in both pre and final production long enuf to iron out the quality control bugs, imho. bad service - particularly in these economic times - is totally inexcusable.

my 1911r1 is on the way to my ffl and it should all come together next week nicely. probably. hopefully. jersey is just as bad if not worse than ny. we should probably move to a far more handgun friendly state ... or country.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
the 1911r1 has been in both pre and final production long enuf to iron out the quality control bugs, imho. bad service - particularly in these economic times - is totally inexcusable.

my 1911r1 is on the way to my ffl and it should all come together next week nicely. probably. hopefully. jersey is just as bad if not worse than ny. we should probably move to a far more handgun friendly state ... or country.
We've been contemplating moving to a southern free state for some time now. Problem is my mid life crisis is in highschool.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt7d101 View Post
We've been contemplating moving to a southern free state for some time now. Problem is my mid life crisis is in highschool.
i hear ya bro ... my kids have kids, and that's what's keeping us up north so far.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 PM

I traded an AK for one, and it shot terrific. One of the best as far as accuracy. But I got the oppertunity to trade for an EMP, which was twice the price, and in new condition. The guy just couldn't rack it with his weak hand, he was a lefty. That is what he told me anyway. I later was told he had feeding problems ad it was stovepiping. That is probablly why he was letting it go so cheap. He thoght the gun was messed up.
The truth be told, after a good cleaning and feed ramp polishing, also going over all metal to metal contact surfaces. I noticed there were rub marks on the barrell in a few spots. This was only because it was so dam tight, I could hardlly rack it.
Finallt got it to the range and put 2 boxes through it like a champ. It just needed a little tuning. Best trade I ever made. The Remington lacked the type of quality that I expected internally. There were a lot of areas that needed polishing, but it was a sweet shooter, also tight slide to frame fit, and a smooth trigger.I would not get another.I put a pair of sarges "oversized" burled wood grips on it, that sold the gun. It looked great.I think for the money you can do better than the remington, perhaps a mid line springfield.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM

gym, my Springfield Champion is not as nicely finished as my R1 Talo. I do believe that my Talo version is a step up from a standard R1 in fit and finish, from a side by side comparison.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM

R1 Problems

Only put about 100 rounds through mine and recently discovered a scratch on the right dust cover. It looks like someone used a ruler and made a scratch from the frame to the front of the gun. It actually turned out to be bad casting machine work which left a build up on the inside of the right frame. They sent me a package to over night it back to NY. Now I am waiting to see the final results.

As for the guy who recommended splashing some cold blue on it. I don't care whether I spend $300 or $600. If it is suppose to be new, this type or lack of quality care is not acceptable.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 PM

I too had the same casting marks you had. Called Remington, explained my problem with flashing from dust cover. Asked the phone rep. if he had heard of this and he said yes, but did not care to go into a discussion on it. I recieved a return package and 7 days later I had it back all repaired and reblued. Racked the slide 25 times and guess what flasing marks are back.
A second call to Remington and another return. Now I have had my R1 a month 20 days of that was at their place. This time I used better drawings and arrows and that I knew the difference between flashing and wear marks and neither should happen on that part of the slide.
After a second time to Remington all is good no marks and is one of my best grouping 45s I have had. I do not blame the phone rep that is all he is a go between. But all it would of took was a few slide racks and they would have knew their repair was not correct. Yes I would buy another but I will work the slid alot before I fork over another 669.00. One last thing they list alot of difference repairs they do but never admit to the flashing marks on either repair. They just say removed marks on slide and reblued slide.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:25 PM

received my rem r1 a few months back, ordered from impact online, asked them to break the box seal and check out the pistol for any issues, marks, whatevers - they did that and i got a pristine rem 1911 r1. it pays to work with the vendor.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM

mine too was checked out, no marks tight fit, it took two mags for flashing to show up or for me to see it.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 PM

A R1 review:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01...st_rrh_201006/
Old 05-02-2012, 08:04 PM

Remington Quality Control doesn't exist

After 100 rounds I noticed a scratch on the right dust cover that looked like someone took a ruler and made a straight mark from the frame across the dustcover to the end of the gun. I removed the slide and inside the frame was a lot of excess metal that was not removed after casting. I called Remington and a mailer package was sent right out. I think it took about 5 days to get here. The mailer was for UPS over night. They had my gun the following day on Friday. They told me it would take a week. True to their word it arrived back here the following Friday. When I opened the Box I was pissed. The scratch on the outside of the dustcover was untouched and still there. The excess metal inside the frame was only half removed and they simply blued the one small area of the frame. Leaving other areas of the frame that the bluing had come off of untouched.
I called Remington and got some woman on the phone who profusely apologized. Said she was taking notes on everything. I told her I wanted another mailer, but this time I wanted it overnight. No more waiting more than I had to I told her. She told me they would. Well Saturday I watched the UPS truck drive by my house. Finally Tuesday I called to find out where my mailer was. They told me it wouldn't arrive till Thursday. That's a whole week to get here.
When I got off the phone I did what I should of done in the first place. I took the gun to my shop and first grinded off the excess metal in the frame. Then I polished and prepared the dustcover. Finally I re-blued the frame and dustcover. It looks better than new. Plus I have the satisfaction of doing it myself.
Remington repairs Blows with a Capital "B". Obviously they don't have any system of quality control. The gun itself I like very much. Except when I got it the trigger pull was over six pounds, and it had a lot of creep. I repaired the Trigger myself by doing a complete trigger job to it. A lot of polishing, some grinding, and my Trigger is four pounds with no creep.
The gun is extremely accurate, and shoots well.
I'm thinking now of redoing the entire gun with Cerakote.
I will never send it back to the Factory again.
Here's a picture of the scratch on the Dustcover after only a hundred rounds.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 PM

mine too took two trips back to remington for those said scratches, I guess they thought I wouldn't work the slide or fire it. But after the second trip in two weeks they got it right. I guess my second letter was alot easier to understand, I also used a drawing, arrows and circles.
I hate to be the one who gets these problems but, all the other 1911 brands have had these same problems, and my Taurus 1911 had not a single mark or hickup.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:34 PM

Your not alone

Gubber your not alone. With as many as these same problems they have seen at Remington you would think they would get it right the first time by now.

Don't speak to me about Taurus. I had a stainless and the slide locked up because of Gall. Although I won't specifically blame it on Taurus. It wasn't the only stainless I had Gall problems with.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Dee View Post
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a bad review in any publication?
They wouldn't sell very much advertising if those reviews ended up bad.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 AM

It would be interesting to run a poll on build date of the R1s that are having this galling problem. Makes me wonder if they are all from the same manufacturing run, or if its hit and miss. In any event it should be picked up by an inspector at the factory if it is that noticeable.

Last edited by lt7d101; 05-05-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 AM

I had a problem with my new Remington. It would not feed correctly out of the box. The round would stick into the ramp and hold the slide open. I sent the gun back and it was immediately returned with no changes and they stated the gun worked fine. I ended up sanding and polishing the ramp myself. The gun works great now with some tight groups of 1.5 inch at 10 yards.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown45cal View Post
I had a problem with my new Remington. It would not feed correctly out of the box. The round would stick into the ramp and hold the slide open. I sent the gun back and it was immediately returned with no changes and they stated the gun worked fine. I ended up sanding and polishing the ramp myself. The gun works great now with some tight groups of 1.5 inch at 10 yards.
Mine is being sent back for the THIRD TIME for just what yours is doing. To make it worse, last time i got it back there was a ding on the front left corner of the front site! If they dont fix or replace it this time, i'm gonna try MY hand with the 1000 grit.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown45cal View Post
Any recommended diy's for polishing the feed ramp?

I have some feeding issues with my R1 and after the run around they gave me in the past I won't be sending my gun back.

I've tried a couple different mags and it doesn't jam all the time, just enough to frustrate me and consider trading it in.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 PM

Wow........... I'm waiting for someone to send back their R1 because there some dust in the various slide/frame crevices.

FWIW, unless there's a major defect to the frame, slide or barrel, I've always fixed my own 1911's (new or used), on my own dime - after all, I bought it, so it's MY gun.

I've had various & sundry 1911's, new & used since the late 50's, but have only owned a standard R1 for a few months - but also have had zero issues with it so far, other than adding a Caspian Arms Commander rowel hammer for kicks & giggles.