1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 AM

14 1/2" barrel - new flash suppressor?

I have a post ban Bushmaster with a 14 1/2" barrel and an Izzy mini y comp muzzle brake. I assume the muzzle brake is pinned and or welded as required by law to reach the 16" barrel length but I can't tell by looking. I really don't care for the Izzy comp. Its to loud especially to those around me.
The question is can this be changed? Or is it impossible or illegal?
I would like to put on a flash suppressor such as the A2 extendted or YHM Phantom. I want to make sure I'm legal.
Its not a real big deal I can live with it, but if it is possible and not overly expensive I would consider it.

Last edited by markbob45; 05-05-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 AM

It is welded and the only easy fix is a new barrel.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 AM

Thanks Brett

Thats what I figured. Its not that big of a deal. I'll leave it as is. I've been considering a new flat top upper anyway, this one has the carry handle.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:31 AM

Wrong. It is not necessary to get a new barrel or a new upper unless you just want something new. It is legal and many have done it successfully. I've done two.

There are many ways to remove a welded on muzzle device.

One way is to look for the weld spot on the existing muzzle device. It is usually a round spot about 1/4" diameter that had been refinished to match the rest of the muzzle device. If you can find it, use a dremel device to "eat" away the weld point, work slowly to remove the weld and you will find a set screw underneath it. If you're lucky or good, once the weld is removed you can use an allen wrench and remove the set screw. Unscrew the muzzle device.

Install new device and have a welder do the same welding process to secure it permanently.

Another way is to simply cut the old muzzle device from the open muzzle end. Cut it back far enough, while taking care not to damage the thread and barrel. The old muzzle device will split open far enough to peel off. Install new device and have it weld on like above.

There are many pictorial instructions on how to do this on www.ar15.com
Old 05-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Thanks Ricky
Thats interesting, I'll look into it a bit more. I checked my brake for a weld before but I really didn't know what I was looking for. I'll check again. Not sure if this is something I'm going to attempt myself though. I may need to find a local smith who can do it. I have a little research to do.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:06 AM

Thanks for sharing this information, Ricky. I learned something new and useful.
http://RationalSelfDefense.com
'For your tomorrow we gave our today'
Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 AM

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_.html&r=1847421

Scroll down to "how to remove a pin flash hider" , it's way down on the first page. That's one method of doing it, a hybrid of what I've done.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the link. Very informative.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 PM

OK it can be done but it can be impractical to do . if you do it yourself and don't know what you're doing you may wind up trashing the barrel . if you carry it to a machine shop the cost might be close to the price of a new barrel. that's all I was trying to say .
Old 05-05-2012, 02:24 PM

I tend to agree with you Brett. I don't care for the Izzy mini y comp but its not that bad. I know I'm not going to tear into this myself and I have a feeling that by the time I pay for it to be done I'd be well on my way to a new barrel. And even that is probably not gonna happen.
I've wanted an A3 receiver upper with a 16" mid barrel anyway. I've got an eotech i'd like to put on it. That way I'll still have this upper for backup. maybe even a .22 lr conversion.
I will say though the website like Ricky T posted was very informative for other things also. I've saved it for future reference.

Last edited by markbob45; 05-05-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:43 PM

I used a mill to do mine, but Ricky-T's hillbilly dremel method will work also.

One other thing. On mine, in addition to the welded over pin, copious amounts of thread locker were used as well. It required the application of heat via a torch to get it off.

Justice Hugo Black
Old 05-05-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRETT C View Post
OK it can be done but it can be impractical to do . if you do it yourself and don't know what you're doing you may wind up trashing the barrel . if you carry it to a machine shop the cost might be close to the price of a new barrel. that's all I was trying to say .
It's not at all expensive.

Personally, I'd send the barrel, and the new muzzle device I wanted to be installed to ADCO Firearms. (Link: http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopserv...p_.cfm?code=25)

They charge $40 to remove a pinned or welded muzzle device, and $30 dollars to permanently attach the new muzzle device (they pin it, then weld over the pin). If your current muzzle device is welded instead of pinned, you're pretty much out of luck.

$70 plus shipping is nowhere near the cost of a new barrel. I'd personally stay away from local machine shops and gunsmiths. There are far too many people out there who will take work in that they are not qualified to handle. Go with ADCO and save yourself some aggravation.

Last edited by SteadyUp; 05-05-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyUp View Post
$70 plus shipping is nowhere near the cost of a new barrel. I'd personally stay away from local machine shops and gunsmiths. There are far too many people out there who will take work in that they are not qualified to handle. Go with ADCO and save yourself some aggravation.
Thats not to bad. Less $ than I feared.
I think your right about local gunsmiths. They may say no problem and learn on my barrel. Have had issues with a gunsmith biting off more than he could chew before.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 PM

ADCO is the answer for sure.