1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 AM

new shooter seeking holster suggestions and opinions

Hello All

I am new to shooting and just purchased my first handgun. A SIG 1911 Extreme. I want to have the ability to carry this pistol on occassion. I am a large guy who is 5'9" and nearly 290 lbs. I am seeking opinions on whether IWB or OWB is better for comfort. Keep in mind I live in CT which is concealed carry onyl. I am very interested in two holsters currently, but have zero experience. The 2 I am considering are;

1. The McDaniel II from Andrews Leather

2. The C-Flex by Kelley Leather

I am seeking any and all comment, opinions, suggestions and PRO/CONS of these holster. Also welcome any other comments suggestions or recommendations. It would be helpful to hear from other stocky built people who have used these or other holsters.

Thank you very much in advance for any and all help.
Paul
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Other Comments-
Buy a purpose built gun belt. If leather, it should be 2 ply. My favorites are 1.5 inches wide.

In nylon, the gold standard is the Wilderness 5 stich. I happen to like the polymer insert 5 stich model fo 5 inch all steel 1911s but many say that the std 5 stich model is stiff enough. The 5 stich w/o the insert is certainly stiff enough for a polymer pistol.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 PM

Unfortunatly, as I have found. It'll probably take buying a couple and experimenting w/ positions to find what works w/ you. I prefer OWB but can't always do it, depends on wardrobe. A good gun belt is VERY important though as dojpros stated. I have one from A&G and it's awesome. Get the belt first or the holster won't ride like it should.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM

I've had a McDaniel II since 1997. It's a great holster.

Justice Hugo Black
Old 05-02-2012, 12:28 PM

The most valuable holster I have is my Raven Concealment Phantom.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/

It is not my favorite holster, but it is so versatile it let my try out different carry methods with just one holster. It ultimately has saved me a bunch of money and attempts trying to find what I like. The Raven, with different attachments, allows you to carry IWB or OWB with just the one holster. By moving the attachments, you can also adjust the ride height and cant.

While this holster is no doubt marketed to the "tactical expert", I think this holster is an excellent choice for those new to carrying, because it lets you try so many options with just the one holster.

I agree with the recommendation to get a good belt. It makes a big difference over even a pretty sturdy non-gun belt.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:38 PM

The C-Flex looks like it's becoming a "gold standard" around here. Great quality, a short wait, and made by a nice guy who gives customer service a whole new meaning. Steven simply won't rest until you're delighted with your holster.

Got to get a good, purpose-built gun belt. You're wasting your money on a good holster if you don't. There are several good brands, mine's from A&G and Al's another of those perfectionists who just isn't satisfied until you are.

If, like me, you carry a lot of other belt trash (extra mags, flashlight, keys, phone, etc.) a quality pair of 2" wide suspenders definitely helps over the course of a day. Most here seem to like the Perry Y-back because they are so easy and quick to hook on the belt, but I've come to prefer the X-back style with the very aggressive clips from http://www.suspenderstore.com. It's a lot easier to place those well if you clip them on the pants before you put them on - a side benefit is that since they clip on the pants and not the belt, they don't interfere with most carry options like the clip-on-belt style can, and you can clamp the X-back clips closer to the pistol and support the weight better, IMHO.

You probably don't need suspenders, but I can loosen my belt a notch when I wear them and that makes sitting in the car more comfortable for me. I also have a bad low back, and it likes the looser belt.

One final comment - Steven Kelley will gladly change the angle on the C-Flex (within physical limits) at no additional cost as of this writing, and with a cranky strongside shoulder I found that the 20-degree FBI-like cant he built into mine helped that a lot. If I were to buy a new one I'd request he take it to 25 degrees, it not only eases the draw for me but it also tucks the butt better so the rig doesn't print under even a thin overshirt.

Last edited by Thorgrim; 05-02-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Edit - Sorry, I got the URL for the suspenders wrong the first time
Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 PM

I love suspenders man as they make things much easier. Havent worn em in a long time. will have to give that a try. I will definately be buyinga purpose built belt.

Thank you everyone for your inputs and suggstions
Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 PM

Hey buddy kelleys leather. Just saying heard alot good stuff about steven
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM

I absolutely LOVE my Andrews Leather McDaniel II.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbigg214 View Post
..... I am a large guy who is 5'9" and nearly 290 lbs. I am seeking opinions on whether IWB or OWB is better for comfort. Keep in mind I live in CT which is concealed carry onyl.
Hey Paul. I'm still narrowing down my choices leaning towards a Lined Kydex hybred myself. Of the 2 you mentioned I like the C-Flex better. Seems like you would get better support. What I like more about the hybreds is the ability to adjust the cant. I'm new to carry myself so I don't know what will feel right. Just don't want to be getting poked in the arse all day. At least with the hybred I have more options to find comfort and haven't found one review that said the crossbreed style hybrids are not comfortable. Have heard they aren't pretty but I'm looking for comfort over pretty.

Also, you live in CT.. CT is NOT a conceal carry state. Check your permit. It's a carry permit. I thought the same thing until it was pointed out to me. Makes me feel more comfortable about carrying given if someone happens to catch a peek of my holster/weapon I'm not in trouble with the law.
Dan Wesson ECO; Dan Wesson matte SS VBOB, Custom Stainless TLE II, Pro Tactical .9mm, Colt Defender .45, Ruger LC9, Keltec .32, Walther PPK .380, S&W 6" Stainless M66 .357, Browning Buckmark II Target .22, Ruger 22/45; Hornady LnL Progressive
Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 PM

oh thanks for the info Steve, I was wondering but my NRA instructor said CT was a concealed carry state. It make sme feel better being a larger guy that if I accidently print, it wont get me in trouble. The McDaniel II has an adjustable cant, the C-Flex looks sweet and I hear only good things. Im also interested in USLEATHERs work. Chris has been EXTREMELY helpful.

Steve what part of CT?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:25 PM

Adams Leartherworks:
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/ind...ring/holsters/

I have three of his holsters, with one on the way, and several mag pouches. Excellent products at a reasonable price, with a 10-12 week turn around time.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Adamsleatherworks seems to have beautiful work. Problem being he only shows 2 models and both are OWB. not to mention his in stock tab shows an amp, drill, a welder, but no holsters lol
Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Adamsleatherworks seems to have beautiful work. Problem being he only shows 2 models and both are OWB. not to mention his in stock tab shows an amp, drill, a welder, but no holsters lol
Eric makes a IWB holster. I have one and carry daily with it or his pancake. Eric makes quality holsters and stands behind his work. I will be ordering again soon.

Doyle
Old 05-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ View Post
Eric makes a IWB holster. I have one and carry daily with it or his pancake. Eric makes quality holsters and stands behind his work. I will be ordering again soon.

Doyle
Oh I agree his work is exquisite. but on his website he only shows 2 holsters and both are OWB. As a consumer who is researching leather workers for both IWB and OWB opyions Id most likely pass his website by.

I think the work he does show is of high quality, I in no way was trying to imply or say anything negative about his work. I hope you understand that. I had a good chuckle when I clicked on his "in stock now" tab and found the amp, welder and other items but no holsters.

Id be interested in seeing his work on IWB holsters. It would be cool to see the rigs he made for you. Can you post some pics? Id like to see hoosters that have been worn. gets ma an idea of durability.

Hope you and Eric didnt take my post as negative. That was NOT my intention.

Paul
Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM

Paul, I in no way took offense. I have no idea how to post pic's but if you look at the facebook pic's on his web site you can find Pic's. I am sure Eric can send you pic's and info. Check out his mag carriers they are the best I have ever seen. I found Eric great to work with and the quality of his work is outstanding. Hope this helps

Doyle
Old 05-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Us leather works. I tried to look it up couldn't find it.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 PM

here ya go dlsslj

www.usgunleather.com

Chris doesnt have the sig mold yet but he is seeking measurements for the slide. Ive looked and there doesnt seem to be a mold for the SIG railled 5". The only railled 5" is a SA mold. Thats like ageneric mold for railled 5" 1911s. I checked with Ring mg, they make the blue plastic replicas, and they dont have a SIG 1911 mold. I believe others use the SA mold an just modify the holster to fit the sig profile.

Doyle thank you for the info. Ill be sure to check it out
Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I love suspenders man as they make things much easier. Havent worn em in a long time. will have to give that a try. I will definately be buyinga purpose built belt.

Thank you everyone for your inputs and suggstions
Oops, I told a big fib, that wasn't where I got the suspenders I love. These came from http://suspenders.com/ not the URL I gave you, sorry for that. The suspenders.com clips are wide and very strong, they have a nylon-like block inside with square, not triangular teeth so they don't tear up pants so badly, and each clip has a center spike that goes all the way through the waistband. These babies aren't going anywhere once you snap them on. They're also very easy to adjust while you're wearing them, too.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Thank you Thorgrim Ill check them out
Old 05-05-2012, 08:41 AM

I just got these in horse hide from Kelley Gun Leather and absolutely love them. I am carrying them on an A&G horse hide belt which is also great. That is a Sig Extreme in the C-Flex

Old 05-13-2012, 07:11 PM

there is a dude on facebook that does kydex that specializes in sig 1911's look him up
Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 AM

I have two C-flex's by Steven at Kelley Gunleather. I have one of each horse and cow, I prefer the horse.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:42 PM

My order has been given to Steven at Kelleygunleather.com. He s an awesome guy to work with. He was incredibly patient as I asked many MANY questions. He is also willing to help with custom options. I can NOT say enough about what a pleasant experience it was dealing with Steven.

I would also like to thank a few others who also answered my questions...

Chris at Usgunleather.com does amazing work as well. I wanted to order an IWB from hiim, Unfortunately he does not have a SIG 1911 mold(not sure one exsists) nor own a SIG 1911. He had to decline as he will not craft a holster that he is unsure of fit. I commend him on being an honest guy who is committed to quality and function.

Al at A&G Gun Leather who has answered many a question concerning belts. Im sure he will make a belt at some point.

Jerry Bissell for all the help and time he has taken. He went out to his shop and dyed a small strip of leather quickly finished it, threw a double stitch of white thread and a buckle on it, He took a pic and sent it to me to see if the dye would be an acceptable match to my holster. That is above and beyond in my opinion.

There are a couple of others who were helpful and I wll keep in mind for future projects. As well as 1 or 2 others who were arrogant and rather snobby. That was a surprise as these people get props from many on here. I do not care how over the top good their work may be. I prefer to give my hard earned money to those who appreciate it. Those who act like I should be grateful to be a customer of theirs do not get my business.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 PM

@mrbigg hey buddy that was nice. What. You said. ....

Last edited by dlsslj; 05-15-2012 at 07:39 PM.