1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Taurus

Old 03-18-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRRT View Post
1911 guy I talk to seems to not be a fan of Taurus's version. Is there a reason?
CONSISTANCY

one might be great, another might be junk They used to be a bargin @
$500. plus, but now several years later, you can buy a Remington, or a Ruger, or a Sig for just a few more dollars.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:31 PM

I currently have a stainless PT 1911 and recently sold a blued one. When my 83 year old dad can shoot 270 out of 300 points at 25ft, you can't fault the sights or the gun. I've done the same with the stainless one. Now he's unhappy I sold it and he has a Mil-Spec Springfield and a Special Combat Government Colt.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 PM

Today I saw a new basic R1 for $647, and a Stainless PT1911 for $633
Old 03-20-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
CONSISTANCY

one might be great, another might be junk They used to be a bargin @
$500. plus, but now several years later, you can buy a Remington, or a Ruger, or a Sig for just a few more dollars.
Or, one can buy the cheapest 1911 on the market and hope for the best.
NRA Life Member
Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Any 1911 guy I talk to seems to not be a fan of Taurus's version. Is there a reason? I'm totally uneducated on 1911's. Thanks.
Sure there's reasons: it's easier to be negative than positive and people seem to love what they own and look down on everything else (brand loyalty??). This seems to be human nature.

Look, nothing's perfect; life isn't perfect. Pistols are not perfect. People need to get past this and quit knocking other folks who like/enjoy other things...like pistols. Just because I've got an obvious "thing" for Kimbers doesn't mean all other pistols suck or whatever. I like to shoot and have shot many other pistol brands and haven't yet found any I hate. I just like Kimber better than the others. We all have different tastes in weapons just like we do in women and cars...accept it and move on to the important things...like "when can I get to the range again and have some FUN"!!
COTEP Member #CBOB0698
Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango3 View Post
Sure there's reasons: it's easier to be negative than positive and people seem to love what they own and look down on everything else (brand loyalty??). This seems to be human nature.

Look, nothing's perfect; life isn't perfect. Pistols are not perfect. People need to get past this and quit knocking other folks who like/enjoy other things...like pistols. Just because I've got an obvious "thing" for Kimbers doesn't mean all other pistols suck or whatever. I like to shoot and have shot many other pistol brands and haven't yet found any I hate. I just like Kimber better than the others. We all have different tastes in weapons just like we do in women and cars...accept it and move on to the important things...like "when can I get to the range again and have some FUN"!!

IME, it's not "taste" in weapons. It's getting a gun that runs, out of the box.

I'm willing to pay more for that. I don't want to buy a gun and then take it home, take it apart and start cleaning up burrs or replacing parts.
NRA Life Member
Old 03-20-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post

I'm willing to pay more for that. I don't want to buy a gun and then take it home, take it apart and start cleaning up burrs or replacing parts.
Of course having a gun that runs out of the box is very important, if not the most important. This is also part of what I was trying to convey in my last post. After all, why would anyone own a gun if it doesn't run, no matter what else it has going for it?
COTEP Member #CBOB0698
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango3 View Post
Of course having a gun that runs out of the box is very important, if not the most important. This is also part of what I was trying to convey in my last post. After all, why would anyone own a gun if it doesn't run, no matter what else it has going for it?

Agreed.
NRA Life Member
Old 03-22-2012, 08:19 PM

I had a PT1911ALR for about 2 years. I did some mods on it--series 80 delete with shim inserted, and Wilson Combat hammer installed. IT shot everything I fed it, including Hornady Critical Defense. I also had the slide refinished with Cerakote as the bluing is a bit on the thin side.

I ended up selling it to get a Springfield SS Ultra Compact, I hope I don't regret selling it...........Though I LOVE the Springer.........

Overall, I would recommend it for a starter, or even an addition to a 1911 collection. It is a great value.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:11 PM

I just traded for PT1911. Sold my Kimber CDPII to my son. I wanted something I could bang around and not worry about the finish or scratch. The one I got has been duracoated and feeds from 5 different mags without a hitch. For the $500 difference I will shoot this more and not worry about having $1000 sitting in a safe if I don't get out enough. I do have a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9 mm also. TJ
Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 AM

I currently have a Taurus 1911SS and haven't had any problems with it what so ever, but anything mechanical is going to wear break etc. I've shot several different brands of ammo through it with no problems, no jamming, nothing. Have also had a Raging Bull in Ruger .480 with no trouble, should have kept that one as I can't find them in that caliber now. The reason I bought Taurus is due to the price and I have had good service out of the other firearms of the same brand. With the economy being what it is the extra $200-300 just isn't feasible right now.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post

Picked up my Taurus PT1911 a year and a half ago, and near four thousand rounds down the road it has ran perfectly without one hiccup. It is in my honest opinion as good and reliable of a gun as my Springfield Champion Lightweight, my Colt Officers ACP and my Dan Wesson Pointman Major. As a matter of the fact, when I go shooting I enjoy shooting the PT1911 more than my other ones. Hands down the PT1911 is as accurate as my Pointman Major with a match barrel. My PT1911 has ran perfectly from day one right out of the box. I can't say that about other higher priced 1911's I've owned.

I'd own another PT1911 in a heartbeat. Like any other handgun that I've put at least a thousand rounds through and has proven it's reliability I wouldn't hesitate to carry it at all.

Good luck in your search. If you can pick one up for $550 or less I'd highly recommend one.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:16 PM

You really can't or shouldn't have a 1911 and not replace something with aftermarket parts. After the AR15, the 1911 probably has the most Barby clothes of any gun and it is just fun to replace parts from time to time. On my PT1911 I have replaced the front bushing and the firing pin stop and springs for a little better accuracy and to keep the brass from being thrown into the next county. That is about it with many many rounds through it, it keeps on going and going.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:44 PM

I have a used pt 1911 made in 2009. shoots way better than i can and works perfect. no problems with any thing i put in it. great accuracy and trigger out of the box, this one was a safe queen and shot very little and never carried except in the factory box. I would not hesitate to buy another.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 PM

First of all I've had some experence with 1911s, got my 1st back in the 50s when the Army issued me one Korea. Have had one ever since, now currently have them made by Colt, Springfield, RIA, Para Ord and Taurus. Got my 1st Taurus 1911 in 2007, a 45 of course then, now has had several thousand rounds through it with, Colt, Springfield Taurus, Para, Chip McCormicks magazines, none have failed me. Next Pt 1911 I added to the collection was a 38 Super and the last was a 9mm. The 45 and 38 Super are very accurate and the 9mm is good. Never ever have seen many real accurate 9s. If looking for paper punching stick with the .45acp or .38 Super rounds. Anyway all three of these PT 1911s are excellent pistols. The 9mm is my truck gun and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Taurus in any of the 3 calibers offered.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned

Tauri's get a hard time because they say Taurus on the slide.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervel View Post
Tauri's get a hard time because they say Taurus on the slide.
Agreed, Kimber "MIMber", PARA USA, and other are also slammed by the internet commandos. I have a PT1911 in 38 Super and it has been a great handgun. It is hard to beat the features that Taurus give us for the money, I paid $400 out the door for mine that was like NIB.

W/ my Marvel 1 .22 LR conversion kit mounted & Coco Bolo grips installed.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 PM

I love my Taurus PT1911. Had one jam up, but it was about 2 degrees outside, so I attributed it to lack of cleaning (I had just picked up the gun, shot it on the way home before I got to clean the gunk out of it) and since then, I have shot about 500 rounds out with nary a hiccup. Everyone that shot it liked it, even got my bro-in-law talking about trading his beretta in on one....
Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 PM

Mine has no issues. I love it. People on the Internet get mental. That's all.

Former Marine Marksmanship Instructor/Member of USMC Rifle and Pistol Team

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74698259@N06/
Old 05-04-2012, 06:55 PM

Here is one reason why.....
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=364442
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 PM

I've got a PT 1911 AR in .38 Super and it's a great gun. I did trash the recoil spring guide and then I found the barrel is unsupported and it really doesn't like reloads, so I got a Bar-Sto barrel for it and I hope to have it back soon. It shoots well. It was MUCH better out of the box than the Kimber I just picked up today (also in .38 Super)
Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 PM

I have owned three of the Taurus PT-1911 pistols. Two in .45 ACP, and one in 9mm.

The .45's were wonderful. Accurate, reliable, and a ton of fun to shoot. The 9mm was the same way, except the darn grip safety had a "catch" in it. I had to consciously think about squeezing it to get the gun to fire. I could not shoot it well for that reason.

I wound up selling all 3 of them because I needed the money for some rediculous reason. I wish I still had them.

I will certainly get another one (or two) one of these days.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 PM

Well guys, this thread has convinced me to keep an eye out for a 9mm PT1911. I've been wanting a 9mm 1911 anyway, and it seems there's no shortage of info on the guns.

Thanks for all the help, folks. I was worried it would go downhill but everyone was remarkably mature. A rarity on today's internet. Thanks again!
Gen 3 Glock 22, S&W J-Frame 38spl (wife's), Beretta Nano #40xx (SOLD)
Chiappa 1911-22, S&W 22-A, Hi-Point 9mm (truck gun), Tula Hex 1932 Mosin Nagant
Stag Arms Model 8 AR-15, Saiga 223 20", Marlin Model 60, Henry 22LR carbine
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 PM

I bought mine used for $350, which in my opinion is a great deal. It's one with the accessory rail, and it came with the absolute worst idiot scratch you have ever seen. However, it shoots AWESOME. Never had any failures with it. The thumb safety was a piece of crap and fell apart, but i didn't want an ambi safety anyways, and replaced it with a wilson combat one. Now all i have to do is get it refinished, and i'm golden... plan on having the billboards taken off and getting the cera-hide finish from ccr. After that, it'll be one badass gun.

I guess like others say, it must be hit and miss.. I must've gotten lucky, because mine is awesome.. and for the price, getting it refinished will probably put my total cost around $550, and i can assure you my money will have been well spent.. Will definitely post pictures when it's done.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Well guys, this thread has convinced me to keep an eye out for a 9mm PT1911. I've been wanting a 9mm 1911 anyway, and it seems there's no shortage of info on the guns.

Thanks for all the help, folks. I was worried it would go downhill but everyone was remarkably mature. A rarity on today's internet. Thanks again!
I have seen a few of the Taurus quirks, first hand. I don't care because there isn't much I can't do with a 1911, now, repair wise, anyway. It does suck to buy a gun, even if it is cheap, and have to send it back after shooting it on the first day. By now it is known you take a minor risk when you buy a Taurus 1911. For what you get in the package, I'll take the risk. To save $500, I'll let the ambi fall off and send it in (before I could repair them) to be repaired under the lifetime warranty, but that is just me; I am a cheap skate (except for steak; I get the good stuff).

The PT 1911 9mm isn't new or uncommon enough to use the teething pains excuse. The ambi on the one I have (the wife's) got loose on me. I fixed it by removing the adhesive from a piece of electrical tape and cutting it to fit in the little notch. I have recrimped them, as well, and it worked, but I like the way the tape works because it stays tight, but is easy to get apart. Everything else works like it is supposed to and it is plenty accurate enough. One of my daughters wants a 9mm 1911 (to replace the PT 1911 .45 that she has) and this is the gun I'll get for her. I considered a RIA 9mm, but the Taurus, to me, is a better value.