1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 05-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Magazines 22 and 45

Im fitting a Colt 22 conversion on an AMT frame and the stock Colt 22 caliber magazine does not push up enough on the slide catch to keep the slide open on the last shot. The catch works in the 45 configuration with the stock AMT magazine. When the Colt 22 mag locks on to the mag release it still sticks out of the mag well about 1/8 th inch. Now i can fix the mag so it will fit right but that would mean welding on an expensive stock Colt labeled part. What id like to know is if any of these new Umarex22 or Browning 22 mags will fit a 45 caliber 1911 frame so i can buy one and do my cutting and fitting and leave my Ace mag alone. The only other way would be to custom fit a mag release to hold the Ace mag in place........... which i will do if it comes to that. Thanks for any info.

Peace through Strength........President R. Reagan
Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 PM

Are you using a 22 specific slide stop? They are caliber specific. A 45 stop will not work for 22.

Also, AMTs are a crap shoot. Many of them are terribly out of spec in almost every way possible.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 PM

I have used GSG 1911 magazines in my Advantage arms, Nighthawk/Marvel, and Colt ("accro sight") conversion kits.

They work well. Buy one and try it...
Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 PM

Yes i know AMT are a mess as far as specs..........this fit is taking way too long and am about to start over with another frame ......up side is im learning a lot and if it doesnt work im going to have a cool Hardballer longslide but this is getting personal between me and the pistol...... BBBIL who makes a 22 slide stop? the conversion didnt come with one..the kit may have been incomplete...The spring in the 22 mag is weaker than the 45...but if i hold the mag so it is all the way up the magwell the catch works perfect. The 22 mag cannot be disassembled to swap springs...Im giong to buy a GSC and not throw in the towel yet....and a 22 slide stop if BBBIL lets me know where to find one.........Thanks Guys

Peace through Strength.........President R.Reagan
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 PM

Check with Evolution Gun Works. Be advised that any part you purchace, even Colt factory parts, may/most likely will require fitting in order to work properly. First step will require you to measure the diamter of the slide stop pin hole in the frame. Do not use dial calipers for such a small hole. You will not get an accurate measurement.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:53 PM

The Colt .22 conversion magazines that I own can be taken down. The base plate is removable. My conversion locks open using a 9mm slide stop. The part of the Colt .22 mag follower that pushes the slide stop is made of plastic. It can be modified by installing a brass screw and filing a flat on it to trip the slide stop.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:39 PM

Cosmonot i miss read your post and was looking for a CSG mag............i reread the post and looked for a GSG magazine..........are these the same? The GSG site says that it will fit the Sig 22 1911..........? GSG are available new for 35 dollars and are heavy duty. Also EGW sells a mag release that pulls the magazine .20 inch further up into the well. Not enough for my application. Thanks

Peace through Strength........President R. Reagan
Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 PM

I had feeding issues with Colt marked 22 Ace mags with my Marvel Precision Unit 1 22 conversion unit.

I got a mag release from EGW that held the magazine .040" higher in the frame.

It's a special part they make, you need to call them and tell them what you need.

They may have one that holds the mag higher?????
Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 PM

GSG mag is on the way couldnt get one local...Didnt want to modify the Ace Colt mag so im on a holding pattern till it shows .............

Peace through Strength..............President R. Reagan
Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 PM

COSMONOT Oh man!!!!!!!!!!!! what a sweet deal...............that GSG magazine showed up today. It fixed all my problems without modifying anything. The slide catch works beautifully and it fits fully up in the magwell. Now im going to order a spare. Thank you a TON.......

Peace through Strength.........President R. Reagan