1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Dan Wesson

Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 PM

Valor rear sight

Question for Valor or VBob owners regarding the rear Heinie sight. I just replaced the Ledge Straight 8 rear with a Heinie Ledge 3D (2 dot) Tritium sight. The Tritium in the new sight is much brighter than the stock rear sight. I thought the rear Tritium vial in the stock sight was intentionally darkish, it looks almost white in the dark. But now, comparing it with the new Heinie 2 dot, the dots in the new sight are much brighter green. Still small dots, look the same in the light as the single dot in the stock Heinie but in dark, the stock rear sight dot looks almost a very pale yellow, again almost white. So Im wondering if I just have a dark/bad vial or if this was intentional for the Straight Eight configuraton?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 PM

The rear straight 8 sight on my Valor was yellow, front bright green. Likewise on my Guardian 3 dot. It is intentional.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM

I see that now, thanks. I didnt think to look at my Guardian seeing that it has different sights (just got it). Kinda strange, I wonder if DW specified the yellow insert from Heinie. As I mentioned, the Ledge 3D has two green inserts ... smaller than the front but green. Out of curiosity, I think I'll email Heinie and ask if the Rear of the Str. 8 is green or yellow ... that ought to provide an answer as to whether the yellow was specified by DW.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 PM

DW special orders them with yellow. A standard straight eight that anybody else orders from Heinie has green tritium in the front and back.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awpk03s View Post
DW special orders them with yellow. A standard straight eight that anybody else orders from Heinie has green tritium in the front and back.
Thanks, that takes care of my curiosity