1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMan View Post
... His whole investment strategy is pretty much, "Live like nobody else, so you can live like nobody else."
Um... What?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Religion is not one of the things we do on this forum.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Won't happen again.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 PM

I enjoy the show as well. So does my wife. The little girl dating last night brought back memories for me. One particular night, I timed it so her date would see me cleaning my 1911 when he came to pick her up. Never seen a more polite young man in my life. haha.

Don't want no frogs on my biscuits, but I remember my great aunts homemade biscuits with Grandma's molasses mighty well. Miss them both, my aunt and the biscuits and molasses.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:14 PM

Awesome show!!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Won't happen again.
They aren't my rules, none taken.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 PM

And I havent read any rules.....so God bless you and Duck Dynasty! I'm also a fan of Proverbs!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:09 PM

i think the dudes on the duck show look pretty cool. remind me of two of my favorite guitar players. Mr. Charlie Daniels and Rev. Billy Gibbons
Old 05-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskotzke View Post
i think the dudes on the duck show look pretty cool. remind me of two of my favorite guitar players. Mr. Charlie Daniels and Rev. Billy Gibbons
This guy has good taste! ^
Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
Um... What?

I got off point when I mentioned this but just to clarify, he simply means to live within your means and save for the things you want rather than borrow. That will mean you will not be living like most of society. You will be living a different life now so you can live a better life later..............thereby, "live like nobody else (self sacrifice and delayed gratification) so you can live like nobody else (debt free, early retirement, discretionary income). Hope that makes sense.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB842 View Post
This guy has good taste! ^
Great beards are rare in today's society. After I got hooked on the show and Phil became my new hero I started to let my "van dyke" go full face just to see if it would come in (I'm 58 and have never had a full beard). My wife put the kibosh on it the first wedding we had to attend. It was spotty anyway. Oh well.......
Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodaddy View Post
I haven't missed an episode, love it. If society lived like the Robersons do, I believe we would be a better one. In every episode, they show the importance of Faith, family, generosity, respect, handwork and fun. I understand its a reality show thats supposed to be humorous, but life lessons are currently on display each time I watch it. Have you seen the respect those grandkids have for their grandpa Phil, "yes sir, no sir". Tough to find that anywhere these days. I think what makes the show is how they live their lives, regardless of their appearance. Two thumbs up from this subdivision yuppie
+1 on this, agreed
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord. -Proverbs 21:31
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 PM

I personally love the show. I like at the end of every show willie gives his word on life and the lessons learned on that show. IMHO the beards are pretty BA, if i was aloud (work doesnt alow it) i would def grow a beard like those guys. Not sure if i would keep it that long, the wife would prolly put an end to it real quick like.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 PM

The only thing confusing for me about the show is that the sons call their Mom and Dad by their first names. Rather than Mom and Dad they refer to them as Miss Kate and Phil. Seems out of place for a close, rural family. No one in my family (uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.) have ever called their parents by their first names.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
The only thing confusing for me about the show is that the sons call their Mom and Dad by their first names. Rather than Mom and Dad they refer to them as Miss Kate and Phil. Seems out of place for a close, rural family. No one in my family (uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.) have ever called their parents by their first names.
I wondered that also.

“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.”
– Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356
Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 PM

Don't know if the show is an act or not.....either way it's far better than any sitcom the best writers in Hollywood could possibly put out. The "country boy one liners" are pure genius comedy.

Sy is a natural comedian that could easily host his own late night show or even the Oscars. Best entertainment I've seen on TV in years.

Two thumbs up!!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_oil View Post
I...but their hygiene and grooming leaves a lot to be desired.
How do you know about their hygiene? And its obvious that kind of "grooming" is relative to the family, if not the norm for the area.

Quote:
It is their right to present any appearance they wish: it is MY right to react how I choose to, when confronted with them.
I dont even know what this means, aside from sounding stereotypical. What do you mean "react" when "confronted" with them?

Am I to presume you judge all Muslims the same way who garnish the like traditional beard??
Old 05-04-2012, 07:35 AM

I love this show! Ironically, I have a SIL that lives in a very prominent, stuffy, high end part of town, who runs with the big money crowd in my city, she's a stuffy banker type...you get it...and she is addicted to this show! Tivo's it every week, doesn't miss it.

They are what the American dream is all about IMO.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticeman View Post
I love this show! Ironically, I have a SIL that lives in a very prominent, stuffy, high end part of town, who runs with the big money crowd in my city, she's a stuffy banker type...you get it...and she is addicted to this show! Tivo's it every week, doesn't miss it.

They are what the American dream is all about IMO.
I would love to have the land they have to play on. My 28 year old son is a fan. He is trying to figure out how we can amass that much land...............hope he is successful!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Religion is not one of the things we do on this forum.
Unless its to lay praise on saint John Moses Browning. Holy creator of all 1911 greatness !
Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter7 View Post
Gees, judge much?

Its not like they are meth addicts living on welfare.
This reminds me of a cycle trip in Arkansas one year. We dual sporters like to go touring into the out-of-the way places on dirt and gravel roads, in the middle of nowhere. We stopped for gas one afternoon and struck up a long conversation with the store clerk.

He told us it would be best to be off the dirt roads before dark, for our own safety; The meth. labs are everywhere and they don't ask questions, shoot now and move their labs later. He was dead serious. He was correct and I still thank him to this day.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I grew up working in a family business with other non-family employees. We did not use "mom" and "dad" on the job, particularly in front of the customers. Could this be true for their family as well?
Daniel Webster-Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters./Thomas Jefferson--I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:46 PM

i like the show

however, i like swamp people and ax men better

beats the hell out of the freakin kardashians

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:33 PM

If Im not mistaken, Phil was starting quarterback ahead of Terry Bradshaw at LSU back in the day, gave it all up. If anyone has a chance, watch some of the old Duck Commander videos when it was just Phil and Warren Coco who I believe was the inventor of the Go-Devil motor. That was some duck hunting at it's finest. I've been an avid waterfowler my whole life and it's been interesting to watch them over the years become mega stars. The first videos, Phil was shooting an old beat up A-5 which was the real deal and then to be sponser by Browning to now shooting Benellis. I like to hear all the waterfowler guys say what a "sell out" and "pimp" Phil has become for the dollar, nobody hates a waterfowler like another waterfowler, hahahaha. I say good on him, to be able to do something you truely enjoy and love every day and make money at it!! Always been a fan of the Robertsons...
Old 05-04-2012, 05:53 PM

I Like Dave Ramsey's show.

As for Duck Hunters?

That show quacks me up!

Sorry, someone somewhere had to go there and nobody did so I did!

Keeping That In Mind, It Is "WE THE PEOPLE, not You The Government".
Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklane View Post
If Im not mistaken, Phil was starting quarterback ahead of Terry Bradshaw at LSU back in the day, gave it all up. ...... I say good on him, to be able to do something you truely enjoy and love every day and make money at it!! Always been a fan of the Robertsons...
Here's a good article about Phil:

http://college-football.si.com/2012/...g-up-football/
Closed Thread