1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > LEO Duty

Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Range Rules

Just had our range control area as well as the entire "cleaning and preperation area" painted and devoid of any Range Rules. I was wondering what other departments have posted (other than NRA) rules and could suggest as I have a blank slate!

Suggestions from other guys include the basic "No Food or Drink" a posting on the range door "Eyes and ears required". I was hoping for some suggestions on improvements rather than the standards.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 AM

If your department has published policies/procedures, I would start there.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Our outdoor range is fairly informal and has a pretty simple set. Think before you shoot. Use Common sense. If you shoot it, clean it up. Respect other shooters, everyone here has a gun.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 AM

Coopers 4 rules are a good place to start.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 AM

If it's outdoor, then why not allow water out there? Plain water shouldn't hurt in the event of a spill. If you're in an area with heat, you don't want people getting dehydrated with a long shoot.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 AM

Indoor range and was hoping for some recommendations as our cleaning area is also are preparatory area to make ready our weapons to go back on the street. So this could create a problem with live ammunition being in close proximity to our cleaning area which has caused some controversy.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmoutlaw View Post
Indoor range and was hoping for some recommendations as our cleaning area is also are preparatory area to make ready our weapons to go back on the street. So this could create a problem with live ammunition being in close proximity to our cleaning area which has caused some controversy.
Not a fan of that set-up. Maybe put some loading/clearing barrels outside?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 AM

I guess a lot more work than I first thought... got a suggestion from a non LEO to go visit his range! Go figure they have a better thought out set up and professionally made pistol clearing traps... better than the 5 gallon bucket of sand. List of things to do...
Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I guess a lot more work than I first thought... got a suggestion from a non LEO to go visit his range! Go figure they have a better thought out set up and professionally made pistol clearing traps... better than the 5 gallon bucket of sand. List of things to do...
This is what we use.

http://www.firearms-safety.com/produ...?item=APC-100T
Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Im guessing that the bucket-o-sand would work just fine. Perhaps you should do an experiment to make sure. I remember many moons ago in the army we had.a simular setup for clearing our M9s after gaurd duty. I don't know what your training budgets like, but since your in the land of lincoln as well, im guessing not so good. So of it were me, I'd opt for for other things first.

Back to your question, besides basic safety rules (4 cardnial rules, no a**grabbing) and health rules (no eating/drinling, employees must wash hands, ect) I can t really think of any.