1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 05-02-2012, 12:46 PM

New Special Forces. Plus need build advise.

1st post; wanted to say: Great Forum. Very informative.

Picked up my first Brown couple of months back - SF (attached pictures).. After shooting it I have the bug and want to put through the below build. Was hoping folks could comment, help w/ any ideas, etc.

I'd like to order the gun this Saturday. What I need help w/ most is the sights. I have adjustable night sights checked but what do you guys think? It's not going to be a primary or for carry but I do like the idea of being able to use it in low light if I needed to.

If you rec Novaks Gold bead front, what blade height would you install on a Classic Custom & why??

To be honest - I saw the pictures on this forum of the gun that "Dean186" built & those pics have been in my mind, driving me nuts for weeks..I LOVE the way that gun looks & want one that looks similar but with a few, small modifications/additions.

Anyway - Here it is:

Classic Custom - Stainless/Stainless -

Included:
- Mirror slide finish
- 25LPI
- Serrate back of slide
- 2 piece guide rod
- Oversize mag release
- 3 hole trigger
- Rear cocking serrations

Options:
- Maxi-Well
- Ambi
- Adjustable Night Sights
- Custom Rib (flatten, Serrate plus relief cuts)
- VZ Carbon Fiber grips (full size magwell + ambi)
- Jeweled Barrel Hood
- Flush Barrel Crown
- Recessed slide stop
- Additional 7 round mags (x2)

Is there a finish for the frame that can be requested that looks more similar to the mirror finished slide?

I've read threads on the Flush Barrel Crown, Recessed slide stop. And realize the jeweled barrel hood might not hold up over time.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by STRADALE; 05-02-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM

STRADALE,

Glad you enjoyed the photos.

The build you have written is a lot like the build I did last year with a couple additional items added.

My comments:

I prefer the 8 round magazines with the max-well option.

We later ordered an Executive Target with most of those options. We choose the extended magazine release on the Executive Target instead of the over sized magazine release. I prefer the extended magazine release.

Good luck with the build.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 PM

Sounds like its going to be a great build.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM

welcome to the forum.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM

Welcome to the Brown side!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:59 PM

First, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the SF!
Quote:
Is there a finish for the frame that can be requested that looks more similar to the mirror finished slide?
I am not aware of any through Brown. I have toyed with the idea of getting a Brown "in the raw" or, if they won't do that, then just a normal blue with the idea of sending it to a third party finisher. Of course, a polished finish is going to show scratches and wear rather easily.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM

Welcome to the forum and Congrats on owning one of the most handsome Brown's on the planet.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 PM

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to your participation, also congrats on your first Brown.

The Brown Dean186 built is a beauty and I can see why that would be one that would give you some ideas, trust he will not mind me telling this, but get ready, he has number 2 on the way!

If I might be so bold I would pass along a few things for you to consider on your build.

First Brown has just recently dropped offering jeweled barrel hood, not sure why they have decided to do this but they have. I confirmed this with Brown this week, it's out.

As to sights, a lot of this is personal preference, personally I do not care for a three dot sight set up and I think the benefits of rear tritium dots is greatly overstated. For an all around setup I would prefer a tritium front and plain rear adjustable, or my favorite a gold bead front.

To two piece guide rod, or not to two piece guide rod, somebody once said that was the question. To me, it is a solution in search of a problem, if it is not broke don't fix it. I just see no benefits to the system, but I do see drawbacks, I would consider exchanging this for a standard GI set up.

Oversize mag release, just too much on anything but a pure range gun. True enough you can remove the button, so all is not lost. However you may want to consider having an extra standard or extended mag release fitted when built, very little extra expense but the best of both worlds.

Maxiwell, great choice, blended or not, but keep in mind the 8 round mags seat easier with the Maxi installed than the 7 rounders do. I say this with the personal belief that I like the Brown 7 rounders as a design better than the 8 packs. It is just the length of the 8 packs work with the Maxi better.

Recessed slide stop and flush cut barrel, no performance reason for it, simply a matter of taste, if you like the looks, and I do, then go for it.

As for the VZ grips, great product and by all means use them if you like them, just do not order them through Brown. You are better off expense wise to simply order these on your own and put them on when your gun comes in. While Brown will install them, they will charge your retail for them, the same you order them from VZ for. The issue is they do not send you the nice wood grip panels that come standard, nor do they give you credit for them, ergo you pay for two sets but get one. If you order them yourself, yes you still pay the same, but you end put with two nice sets. You can keep the wood ones or sell them and offset the cost of the VZs.

Hope this was of some help, if you have any questions give me a shout, and good luck!

www.hammondgunandtackle.com

Last edited by Hammond; 05-03-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 PM

I have a less polished slide flat called high polished and not the mirror polish. Mine has more of a matte look, but nonetheless attractive. If you do go with mirror polish on the flats, be prepared for scratches and nicks, and stuff. If it's a safe queen or under glass, it will stay mint longer. If you have any inclination to shoot it regularly, maybe going with a high polish instead of mirror, it'll still look great and won't suffer handling wear as fast. Both my Wilson and NH have rear adjustable bomar style rears, and both with plain black or serrated rears with a gold bead up front and a fiber optic on the other. Both have exceptional sight pictures and very easy to pick up on. You'd have to try both to see which you might favor.

The CC is a superb EB pistol and will serve you well for many years to come. Enjoy it, and please post a pic or two when you get it home...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRADALE View Post
It's not going to be a primary or for carry but I do like the idea of being able to use it in low light if I needed to.
I think your instincts are correct on the adjustable night sights. They will be fine at the range and ideal for home defense. The only disadvantage to adjustable sights is that they are more delicate and can snag more easily. If this gun is for range and home defense, I would go with your choice of adjustable night sights. Black rear and gold dot front are great for the range, but not as ideal in low light defensive situations. Either way, it will be a great gun. I have a Wilson Supergrade with adjustable night sights and it is perfect for the range and the bedside table.

Also, mirror flats on guns that are shot will develop little blemishes. At least they do for me, and I am reasonably careful. My Classic Custom has them. It's like a new truck. After the first tiny blemish, you get over it. You can also get them repolished as I understand. Enjoy!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 PM

Thanks to everyone, all very helpful comments, appreciate it!

Dean186 - Interesting, I can see why you & Jerry would recommend 8 round mags w/ the Maxi-well, makes perfect sense.. I'm going to change it to 8. Thanks also for the advice on the mag release. Hope you don't mind that I attached a pic of your gun/the one I mentioned yesterday below. From the comments on the thread where your Centennial is posted, Brown should pay you & Jerry some commish.

Jerry- Great insight. Thanks. The Gold bead I noticed from NOVAK's site is available in different front blade height's?? Should I be requesting a specific height based on the CC or will Brown just automatically install the most suitable height? ... The Maxiwell, "blended or not", could you explain? Great info/tip about the grips. I would have expected the standard furniture along w/ the optional VZ's. So ordering them myself I would have to spec; VZ 320's fullsize magwell ambi-cut, correct?? When VZ states they "sand the bottom of the grips just enough to take the annoying 90 edge off of them.This allows the end user to mate all grips up to factory and aftermarket magwells. If you should want a more traditional bevel on the bottom , please call in your order as it would be considered a custom order but without any additional charge." - The VZ 320's on my SF are without the additional sanding, yes?? Which would be the better grip bottom for the Brown Maxiwell???

kyJim - Thank you.

osageshooter & jst1mortym- It's not for carry or primary home defense. Pic below is what I keep currently for home defense (pistol wise). Don't believe in putting a laser/tac light on a custom, shiny SS Ed Brown. Pic taken while pretty new, my home defense pistol gets nicked up out of the nightstand safe in the dark, etc, etc scenario's so that would bother me on a $3k custom built gun.... Although I did mention the idea of being able to use it in low light if I needed to, this new gun will see some limited range time but also want one gun that is a looker, a keeper that will be passed down eventually to my son. So hence the trade off of some durability for aesthetics with the mirrored flats.

Thanks also for the welcome's to the forum.

PS: How does the Custom Serial # work? Are you given a guideline or limit in terms of how many #'s or characters?

Last edited by STRADALE; 05-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 PM

Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 PM

Off the top of my head I think it is a .180 but do not rely on this without double checking, it's late and I am sleepy! :big laugh:

Not to worry though, Brown will know what you need, no need to even specify a size, this you can bank on.

Brown chooses not to 'blend' their magwells, some feel this is inferior, though I have yet to hear anyone give me a reason this would hurt anything functionally, it is simply cosmetic and something that bothers some, while others could care less. If you look into the Maxiwell you will see a step down or lip between the inside of the Maxiwell funnel and the magwell of the gun. Some companies/gunsmiths (probably should read most) 'blend' this where they take a file and smooth out the transition to remove the lip.

This does look nice, but does nothing for function, also due to all the hand labor it is expensive. Baer blends their magwells and they just so happen to use the Brown Maxiwell for their parts (though they do not credit it as such). Baer charges $215.00 for these while Brown charges $75, the cost difference is from the labor.

"VZ 320's fullsize magwell ambi-cut, correct?" Yes, this sounds like what you need from reading your build specs.

As for sanding, I have a couple of VZs magwell cut grips on guns with Maxiwells and have no issues, look great to me. You may wish to call and talk to them though, no expert like straight from the horses mouth.

Hope this helps.

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 AM

Jerry - Thanks!! Appreciate it! I'm going to send you a PM.

Bluesjam - Saaahhweet!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Jerry,

Trying to send you a PM but appears your mailbox is full?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:22 PM

Stradale,

I ordered my two Ed Browns from Jerry. Another option to get in touch with Jerry, if you haven't already done so, is to go to his website and get his phone number and call him.

http://hammondgunandtackle.com/
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM

Sure is going to be a sweet looking psitol - we all cant wait to see it now! Yes you need to call Jerry - his website has his number. (Note the "tackle" in his website means he sells worms too).

Brown going away from the Jewled barrel hood is interesting, I guess it gives the centennial models their special niche - not to mention the other centennial features that did the same. Wondering if Brown would repair a barrell hood on a centennial when it eventually mars up?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM

Can't wait to see it!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM

I agree, just call him,,, he keeps some really late hours and does return calls,, His Customer Service is 100% and is one of the good guys...