1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > 2A Legal & Political News ONLY

Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 PM

City of Tampa FL trying to disarm CWL holders during Republican National Convention

As of now, the way the law works, the city has no jurisdiction to stop a licensed conceal weapons gun owner from being on the grounds of the RNC because the state law defines the clean zones and the cities and counties are prohibited from regulating where a CWL holder can legally carried.

The RNC is not a sterile zone like an airport or court house.

The secret service has some say in a buffer zone around presidential candidates but not the greater zone in and around the the convention center grounds.

The city is asking Governor Scott to step in and allow them to be excused from the preemptive nature of the state's firearm law.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politic...s-away/1225987
Quote:
Tampa may seek Gov. Rick Scott's help keeping guns away from RNC protests

TAMPA Frustrated by a Florida law that blocks all local regulation of guns, Mayor Bob Buckhorn expects to reach out to Gov. Rick Scott for help keeping concealed firearms away from protests during the Republican National Convention.

The 2011 state law pre-empts the ability of cities and counties to pass any laws regulating firearms or ammunition.
and

Quote:
"The absurdity of banning squirt guns but not being able to do anything about real guns is patently obvious," Buckhorn said Thursday. "Given the nature and the potential dynamic of this event, I think it would make sense that you would not want firearms introduced into that environment by people other than law enforcement."
Heck... squirt guns can be filled with urine! No?

See, we in the Sunshine State just love to deliver gun-law controversy to keep these forums abuzz!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:22 PM

Read this today as well. Unbelievable. Won't fly though. Scott won't even think of recommending this.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 AM

Interesting. The New York Times Editorial Board produced the following, 15-days ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/op...rida.html?_r=1

Mere coincidence (note the "squirt gun" reference, among other similarities) to the Tampa Bay Times "news" article above? Or prima facie evidence that anti-gun opinion-writing in this country does indeed shape "hard-news" stories?

Either way, it doesn't look good.

Jake
Old 04-21-2012, 10:24 AM

Threats to the Republican National Convention will not come from legal CWL holders. It won't come from thugs in berets carrying guns and clubs either - open carry of any weapon is strictly forbidden in Florida, despite Eric Holder's tolerance for this behavior elsewhere.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Governor Scott rejected this request from the Democrat mayor of Tampa. He pointed to the second amendment in his response.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Good.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefjefe View Post
Governor Scott rejected this request from the Democrat mayor of Tampa. He pointed to the second amendment in his response.
+1,000

And, as has been stated countless times before, a "gun-free zone" means nothing other than a free-pass opportunity for crooks.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 PM

DemocRATs! Gotta love 'em!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 PM

Actually, Scott not only alluded to gun rights of citizens, he pretty much said this nonsense would only apply to law abiding citizens, as criminals carrying guns are already..well, criminals, and wouldn't obey the law anyway

COTEP CBOB0523
Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
DemocRATs! Gotta love 'em!
Well, my Bible says I have to, so I honestly try. Without much luck so far

COTEP CBOB0523
Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Florida Gov stands up for us: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T6Hu1446x1B
Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
The Bible says we gotta love Demons? Where's it say that?

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:51 PM

Libs finally gave up. Funny how they thought a Republican Governor would institute gun control during the Republican Convention LMAO

The Tampa City Council dropped plans today to appeal Florida Gov. Rick Scott's decision against banning concealed handguns in downtown Tampa during the Republican National Convention.

The council had considered taking its case to a special session of the Legislature or seeking expansion of the Secret Service's gun-free security perimeter during the convention from Aug. 27 to 30.

The agency is not expected to announce the perimeter until the beginning of July at the earliest.

State law allows gun owners to carry licensed concealed weapons outside the security perimeter.

Last month, Scott rejected Mayor Bob Buckhorn's call to block people from carrying weapons in the broader Event Zone that the city is establishing during the convention.

City Council members had considered a proposal by Councilwoman Lisa Montelione to appeal the decision. But Montelione withdrew her proposal, saying today that a special legislative session would cost too much and expanding the security perimeter would make it too difficult for protesters to express themselves.

"I don't see the point of pursuing these letters and spending any more time on it," Montelione said.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 AM

Hmm.
I have a friend in Tampa I was planning to visit this summer.
But not that week.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Some where in the good book it also says: "Thou shall not mock the afflicted".