1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM

Coincidence?

While I was in the hospital for an ankle surgery last weekend, my wife comes in and tells me someone in a passing car thru something at her shortly after pulling out of our driveway. it was dark and she couldn't give a description of the vehicle. Today my wife goes to check the mail and brings pieces of mailbox back. I asked if it was hit by a car, she said it doesn't look like a car hit it but that some might have bashed it with a bat.

I have a feeling that someone has a hostile attitude for my wife or me. I am in a foot cast and won't be able to get around too well in months, I have an uneasy feeling about it and not feeling safe. I have not had a dispute with anyone and we just moved here a year ago.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM

I'm ALL about the gut feeling but don't let it spook you. It's probably nothing.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 PM

Coincidence...

Is one of the best reasons to own - and be proficient with - firearms.
"If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Romans 12:18
Old 04-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
I'm ALL about the gut feeling but don't let it spook you. It's probably nothing.
I'm hoping it's nothing.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 PM

Game cams... $100 well spent.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechott View Post
While I was in the hospital for an ankle surgery last weekend, my wife comes in and tells me someone in a passing car thru something at her shortly after pulling out of our driveway. it was dark and she couldn't give a description of the vehicle. Today my wife goes to check the mail and brings pieces of mailbox back. I asked if it was hit by a car, she said it doesn't look like a car hit it but that some might have bashed it with a bat.

I have a feeling that someone has a hostile attitude for my wife or me. I am in a foot cast and won't be able to get around too well in months, I have an uneasy feeling about it and not feeling safe. I have not had a dispute with anyone and we just moved here a year ago.
Any idea who lived there prior to you and your better half? Could be a "Let's go where we last saw that guy", deal and you aren't he. Front porch swing plinkin is always a fun time, too, though....
Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 PM

Trust your gut but don't let it consume you. It's probably some half stoned kids with too much time on their hands and not enough parental supervision taking a whack at you mailbox. Dangerous? Could be........A real threat? Unlikely... Now if you're an UC narc officer and just not telling us or some super secret ninja fresh out of Iran then you may want to consider stronger safe guards.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsing76 View Post
Any idea who lived there prior to you and your better half? Could be a "Let's go where we last saw that guy", deal and you aren't he. Front porch swing plinkin is always a fun time, too, though....
Maybe, this house belong to the magistrate a few years ago. It was bought and foreclosed before we bought it. The family that foreclosed were not the best of citizens, so you may have a point. I will be alert, well as much as possible with Percocet.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:18 PM

Probably a random act. Dumb kids do dumb stuff. Have kids around here do that or sometimes they bash rear view mirrors off of cars. On time they busted 3.juveniles after they broke 75 mirrors, average price per car was $175.00. Parents made those kids pay for every one they broke too. Did ypu report it to the police? You should, also find out if there were other mailboxes vandalised that night.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM

I called the sheriff to report, looks like our mailbox was the only one.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 PM

Moved in on Thursday, put up mailbox on Friday, found hole Saturday where mailbox and post used to be. That was late '94.

Since then we've replaced the mailbox twice, . . . and right now it is being held up by two steel fence posts and a piece of nylon rope, . . . got run down by some pea brain who cannot drive his dually on ice.

I keep the eye out, . . . but generally, . . . mailbox stuff is just kids.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:06 PM

I believe in the Old Air Force Adage "Always Honor The Threat"!

So if your gut is telling you something that isn't directly attributable to bad chili..............

I'd Honor The Threat.

Keep an eye out and make sure that you report anything to Authorities.

We once sold mailbox posts that were made of a solid piece of recycled plastic. Weighed in at about 75 pounds and could be set deep in the dirt.

Some kids were driving down a road hitting mailboxes and the young idiot missed the box and hit the post.

Broke both collarbones and one wrist.

Some lessons are hard learned.

I always thought one of these would be fun to have:

Keeping That In Mind, It Is "WE THE PEOPLE, not You The Government".

Last edited by NonHyphenAmerican; 04-30-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM

Notify the cops of what happened and each and every thing from now on.

If you have to ask why talk to a lawyer.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
I believe in the Old Air Force Adage "Always Honor The Threat"!

So if your gut is telling you something that isn't directly attributable to bad chili..............

I'd Honor The Threat.

Keep an eye out and make sure that you report anything to Authorities.

We once sold mailbox posts that were made of a solid piece of recycled plastic. Weighed in at about 75 pounds and could be set deep in the dirt.

Some kids were driving down a road hitting mailboxes and the young idiot missed the box and hit the post.

Broke both collarbones and one wrist.

Some lessons are hard learned.

Piece of thick steel post set in concrete on either side of the mailbox will accomplish the same thing. Kid won't see it in the dark and will get a nice little shock when he swings with all his might
Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 PM

We can't keep a mail box along the road we live on. Highway 127 N. is a frickin' freeway, cars, trucks and 18 wheelers zipping by at 60+mph day and night and it's only a two lane highway. Had a mail box taken out a few years back, got a P.O.Box. The crazy local Post Office makes us cross the road to get out mail too, way too dangerous. Anyway, long story short, I ordered something about a year ago and messed up on the address, had it sent to the house instead of the P.O. Box, figured instead of calling and having them have to resend it I'd just put up a mail box. WRONG, thing lasted all of maybe a month before it was beat to crap. Screw it, I'll just go get my mail at the P.O. Box and save myself the dangerous trip across the road to get my mail and the expense of having to buy a new box every month.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 AM

Mailbox vandalism

I think it is time for someone to invent an exploding die pack mail box, so the permanent die left on the vehicle can be observed and identified to capture the vandals.......!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 AM

well there you have it "common sense" always trust your gut !!! and be aware not only of your sorroundings but try pay attencion to details so that if you have to call the authorities
you'll be able to be helpful in any type of feedback that maybe needed..........then again
it might just be some "dummy" who is just trying to generate attencion. In any case let
your local law enforcement know what has transpired so that they can look in to it. be safe
know where your local or closest police station is.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 AM

Most likely it is just some kids, but in the event that it isn't you and your wife should be packing some heat. While I was in the Boy Scouts, they taught us to Be Prepared. And now that I am in the Army this motto still rings true. It's better to be over prepared for a situation then to be caught off guard...especially meaning you are recovering from surgery. Don't let it get the best of you by sitting at home and thinking about it all the time, but it is nice to have that little piece of mind at your side.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM

Instincts are worth listening to. It is probably nothing, but ...

Have a plan. Whether that plan includes firearms, that's up to you. But have a plan. Make sure you both carry cell phones. Teach her to be keenly aware of her surroundings at all times. Document everything that seems out of the ordinary. Make sure local law enforcement is aware, and request some extra patrols in the area.

If the two of you are prepared, you'll be fine. Just have a plan and know how to react if something happens.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:49 PM

My wife approved the gun mailbox,
No brick thru the window or cut tires yet. 2 incidences that close together made me think of a little, but if someone wanted to get even with violence they probably wouldn't give warnings. It wouldn't makes since to get me on high alert and try something.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM

Purchase one of those hunting digital camera's and place it with a view of your mailbox. My security system includes an independent camera that records to dvd any activity around the mailbox, which is situated at the end of the driveway.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:35 PM

try to put a camera in a car and park it in the street. you need the car description rather than a guy with dark cloth. i hate a-holes like that. wish you could put a claw trap or something in your yard