1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM

1911 9mm question

Hi, I just joined the forum today and this is my first question. I have several 9mm pistols and one 9mm rifle and i'm thinking of adding a 9mm 1911 to my small arsenol. I have done some research and have a question about 3 I think I kind of like (have not actually shot or even held any of the three). The three pistols are the springfield loaded, dan wesson pointman 9 and wilson cqb. How would you rate each of these 3 in terms of :
1. accuracy at 25 yards
2. reliability- which would be least likely to malfunction
3. recoil- which would have the softest recoil
The gun would be a range toy (no competition shooting) and night stand weapon. Thanks in advance for all of your insights and opinions. This forum seems friendly and full of experienced gun owners and I appreciate any advice you have to offer.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 PM

I think the accuracy or the WC might edge out the DW and Loaded.
Recoil will be the same
Reliability should be the same. If not, neither of these companies will leave you hanging. Springfield has Wilson combat like customer service. I dont know personally about DW.

I would go either DW pm or the cqb. Budget would be the determining factor
Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. From a little research I suspect the springfield will be considered the least accurate, but their customer service will be considered top notch. I may be wrong though as some have said the springfield loaded is a joy to shoot and very accurate. Hoping to get more replies and opinions.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM

Dude, I picked up a LNIB Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm for $600 used here in Phoenix for my wedding anniversary gift to my wife last July and man, it's a damn runner for the money, shoot I would have paid $700, lol! Well, not that Kimber's are on your radar but if you can bag one of these to try out, (rental at a range or something) TRY one. You may be surprised. I haven't had any issues to have to deal with Kimber on this one, but I do own plenty of Series I Kimbers to vouch for those ones with their Non-Issues as well. Worth a looksee....

BTW, very light with alloy frame, too.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 PM

Thanks Hellsing76. I have handled a few kimbers and they are very nice pistols. I didn't want to list too many different guns for fear people would not bother to answer. Thanks for insight.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM

Anytime, Partner! I can hardly get the thing outta her hands now, lol! Now that I got my .45 ACP Nighthawk GRP and Les Baer TRS, she is, however, hinting towards a 9mm 1911 custom....greeeeaaat, what have I created, lol!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:28 PM

All of your choices are good and reliability should be about the same. The CQB should have the best accuracy. However, I also want to suggest the Kimber Custom II in 9 MM. I have the target model and it has been completely reliable as well as very accurate.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the imput byj04. How is the felt recoil in your kimber? I'm looking for a 1911 that will be fun to shoot and easy on the recoil. I don't hate recoil. I enjoy shooting my smith and wesson 357 and my m&p 9mm compact. But I would like to add a 9mm that is a real pussycat to shoot and thats why i'm looking at a 1911 in 9mm. Soooo, long story short, how is the recoil on your kimber?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 PM

One 38-40 oz 9mm 1911 is going to recoil much like the next.
You can pick a brand based on other qualities.
For that matter, my 30 oz MixMaster A does not have enough felt recoil to bother me.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM

Jim i think you are right on the money on recoil. Weight would have to be the overriding factor. I have read that some mfgrs. use bull barrels and such to distribute weight over the front of the gun to help reduce muzzle flip, but recoil is probably still similar. I know springers and wilson have lifetime guarantees and that is important to me also. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'm with Jim on this one. They should all feel about the same in regard to recoil. How much recoil could 9mm generate anyway?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 PM

I'm a Wilson fan and I have a very good friend who owns and shoots a CQB in 9mm (she loves it). I believe all three would be dependable (reliable) using factory ammunition. The accuracy question has a lot of variables. From a rest I'd give the Wilson the nod hands down. However in your hands or in my hands that might change. I've known shooters to buy very expensive weapons believeing that alone will make them accurate. It doesn't.

Check all three out (go to several gun shops or gun shows) and see which one you like best. Price them and see which one fits your budget. Make a very informed decision and I know you will not regret it.

"I'd rather be a hammer than a nail, yes I would, if I only could, I surely would."
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM

I think you are all right on the recoil issue, they will all be about the same and a 9mm in a 1911 should fit the bill for being a pleasure to shoot.When it comes to accuracy it really all comes down to the shooter as many of you have pointed out. Probably all three guns are more accurate than i am. My research has shown me that people that own and shoot the guns listed feel they are reliable, or at least can be made reliable with little effort. Old Grumpy i think you summed it up best, i need to at least handle the guns (finding examples to shoot can be problematic), spec them out and compare prices. Off the top of my head i would say the difference in price between the sa loaded and the dw pointman(less than $1,000) would make me opt for the dw. The difference between the dw and the cqb(maybe as much as double depending on the options i would choose) makes it a harder choice without actually firing the guns. The lifetime warranty of the wilson is a strong plus for it over the dw in my mind. Bottom line, i guess i have some more research and leg work to do before making a decision. Thank you all for your insights, it has really helped me think this through by pointing out the pros and cons in a logical way. When i make a decision i will be sure to post and let everyone know what i got. Thanks again and happy shooting.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM

Good luck my man. I'm sure you will pick the right one. You don't really have a bad choice to make. I'll vote for the CQB (I have two of those, 45 and 9mm).
Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 PM

Thanks rvanno. I think the cqb is a really good looking gun, just wish they were a little lower in price but then you get what you pay for. Someday this gun will belong to my son so the lifetime warranty seems important to me. Where can i get a good price on a cqb?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM

I just got my new CQB SS in 9mm today and I can't wait to go to the range
Attached Thumbnails
CQB 1.jpg   CQB 2.jpg   CQB 3.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM

In answer to your question, my Kimber has minimal recoil and you can shoot it all day long. However, I think any 9MM on the 1911 frame would be a pleasure to shoot with little recoil.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:37 PM

Sureshot45 it's pictures like those that get me into trouble with my wife. She sees me looking at them and says "you are not thinking of getting another gun are you?" Then comes the "discussion". Actually she is a great gal and very supportive of my gun habit. I think your new gun is beautiful. Congratulations on your purchase, enjoy it. Can i ask where you bought it?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Byjo4 i am beginning to think the same way about recoil. Any full size or even compact 1911 should handle recoil quite nicely. People seem to be leaning towards the cqb. If it was the same price as the dw pointman i would choose the cqb in a heartbeat. I have to look at my budget and the use of the gun and try to find some to hold and maybe shoot. Decisions decisons!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 PM

From George at Gunslingers in MI....look him up.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 PM

My first one, I ordered directly from WC. The second one (9mm) is actually on order with George at Gunslingers. He is very good to work with. I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM

Money is always a consideration when buying a gun. I love my Wilson Classic 45 and don't regret spending the money for it. Wilson makes one of the finest guns on the market and I always get great comments from other shooters when I take it to the range. I mentioned the Kimber as a possibility since I have been completely satisfied with it. I have the stainless Custom II Target which is about $1100.00.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 AM

In looking around the internet, people do seem to like their kimbers. I guess the appeal of having something special, like the dan wesson or wilson, has to be weighed against the practical real world question "What am i actually going to use this gun for". It really is a tough choice for me, especially since i already have a number of guns for range, night stand and carry. This next purchase would truly be just for a range gun that is fun to shoot, ie accurate with little recoil. I guess it's going to come down to how much do i really want to spend? I'm beginning to see that there are a number of good choices for around $1,000 from kimber, sti, smith and wesson etc. that would fit my requirements. Now i have to decide just how "special" i want this next gun to be.