1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Parts and Accessories Bin

Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM

Magazine question for Kimber owners

OK so I have just purchased my first Kimber, 4", stainless Pro Carry II that came with a Kimber 7 round mag. I went on eBay and purchased an 8 rounder and came across a select few Kimber and also Chip Mccormick 10 round extended mags for commander sized 1911's. My question to you folks, 1. Have you ever tried a Chip Mccormick and/or Kimber extended 10 round magazine with a Pro Carry or similar firearm? Is it reliable? I found a really good deal for two Kimber 10-round stainless steel magazines on eBay, and another for a Chip Mccormick Stainless Steel POWER MAG .45 10rd. Wanted to get some feedback before forking out cash for magazines that might not work well with my new Kimber. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! BTW this is my first post yeep!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Banned

Throw away the Kimber mags.. Get Chip or Wilson mags... I have 2 Kimber both magazines that came with the weapons are in the trash..lol
Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 PM

I use the Kimber Pro tac magazines and Chip McCormick. No worries.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverrideplik View Post
I use the Kimber Pro tac magazines and Chip McCormick. No worries.
While I have not experienced problems with the original mags, I switched to Wilson and McCormack because they work so well in my other 1911's. The Kimber seems to like them also.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM

The KimPro TacMags are made by CheckMate and have a solid reputation, as do CheckMate mags themselves. I'm personally not a fan of 10 rounders, though there are many on the forum that like them.

If you are new to the 1911, here is a blog post from the late Mr. Camp that I consider worth reading.

http://hipowers-handguns.blogspot.co...11-45-acp.html
Old 04-30-2012, 11:19 PM

Very informative article.. thank you. I actually ended up ordering the following magazines (aside from the 2 officer soze 40 s&w and the 2 commander sized 45 that were included):

Wilson combat 10 rd w/ basepad
Chip McCormick powermag+ 10 rd w/ basepad
Colt 1911 10 rd w/ basepad
(2) Wilson combat 47D 8 rd w/ basepad
(2) chip mccormick power mag 7 rd

And thanks to the article that was shown to me above, i also ordered:

(2) Tripp Research 8R-45-RG

As soon as I get them I will test them all out along with the stock Kimbers and post the results! I'm interested to see how the cmc & wilsons will fare against one another in the kimber
Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 PM

Oh I forgot to put that I also ordered (2) chip mccormick power mag 8 rd as well.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
(2) chip mccormick power mag 7 rd
I don't believe McCormick makes a 7 round full size mag. Their 7 rounders are for the Officer size grip. These two mags will not fit your Kimber Pro size, unless it is a typo or you have another 1911 that is Officer size.

Last edited by jtq; 05-01-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 AM

Yes aside from my two Pro Carry HD II's I have an officer sized Ultra Carry II with Crimson Trace laser grips. I only had the stock Kimber mag and a Colt mag so I ordered the two 7 rounders from chip mccormick
Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 AM

The one mag that came with my Kimber SC Custom HD will not seat fully when loaded to full capacity. I bought some 8rd flush fitting Colt mags that are identical to CMC mags in everyway except logos. These work flawlessly.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Vermilion wrote,
The one mag that came with my Kimber SC Custom HD will not seat fully when loaded to full capacity.
That's because of the strong spring in a flush fit 8 round mag. You can find lots of advice on the forum to get that mag to seat more easily. Load and unload it many times to work the spring, or leave it loaded for awhile. Eventually, they will seat, but they most likely will never seat as easily as a 7 round mag, or an extended length 8 round mag like the Wilson ETM or Tripp CobraMag.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 PM

Kimbers' three most used words are "break in period". Same with their Kim Pro Mags. One in the pipe and eight in a new mag won't fit. Customer service advise is to load the mag and let it set. It will fit as time goes by. They work great in my Ruger SR 1911 and my ria. Other than the "break in period" I find no other faults with them.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 AM

I received all magazines in the mail today when I got home from work, will be hitting the range tomorrow to find out if these ten rounders do what they say they can! I really like the Wilson Combat mags.

Does anybody know anywhere I can find mags for my Ultra Carry II 40 S&W ? I can't find them anywhere... Not even on the Kimber site.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalveri View Post
I received all magazines in the mail today when I got home from work, will be hitting the range tomorrow to find out if these ten rounders do what they say they can! I really like the Wilson Combat mags.

Does anybody know anywhere I can find mags for my Ultra Carry II 40 S&W ? I can't find them anywhere... Not even on the Kimber site.
Fusion sells a Compact length .40 S & W mag, it's the last item on this page:

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servle...s/9/Categories

Don't know who makes it for them.

Let us know if the 10 round mags run in the 4" gun. Common wisdom is that 10s are "iffy" in guns shorter than 5". Something about slide speed being faster than the longer mag spring can keep up with.

Last edited by AreB; 05-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:53 PM

Kimber's are not bad but I like the chips much better. 7 round mag's.