1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > 2A Legal & Political News ONLY

Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 AM

CA legal questions

Cali has a law that only limits magazines in rifles, and handguns to 10 rounds.

I have a Ruger 10/22, and a 30 rd. capacity magazine that I have owned for years (way before this law was enacted). The 30 rd. mag I own is a cheapie polymer magazine.

Two questions:

1. Is it illegal for me to own the current magazine I've had for years? Consequences?

2. If I went out of state and purchased one of these, would it be illegal for me to bring it back in state?

I'm not sure if it's illegal to posses them, or sell them in CA?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 PM

It is legal to own and use provided, you owned it before 2000. It is not legal to buy one out of state and "import" it into the state.

Here is what DOJ says in their FAQ on their website.

If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?
No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.

If you live in Calif. spend I'd suggest you spend some time reading all of the FAQ's.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the advice, and information. It's appreciated! I see you live in HB. Garden Grove here.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

The magazine is legal only if you owned it and lived in California before the cutoff (2000 I believe).

I can answer the second question: NO, you cannot import magazines over ten rounds. Most places won't sell you a "high capacity" (sic) magazine if they know you live in California.

One could technically disassemble a over ten round magazine and bring it in as parts, but one would be committing a felony if they were to assemble it in California. So, If I moved back (left in 1995) and brought full capacity (over ten rounds) magazines into the State, they could never be assembled while in the State.

I've looked into this, as moving back was almost a reality. Still a slight possibility.

Robert
Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 AM

Just out of curiosity, how would they know when you acquired it?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Dee View Post
Just out of curiosity, how would they know when you acquired it?
They don't unless you have a new model of a Magpul that obviously wasn't around in 2000. While still legal, it also raises some questions if you were under 18 in 2000.

You can buy "rebuild" mags, essentially disassembled magazines, to keep those legal older magazines that you own up to par.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:23 AM

Calguns is probably going to be your best resource for the intricacies of California's stupid laws. Just about every question has been asked an answered. I know this one has been covered extensively. Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=387409
Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Calguns is probably going to be your best resource for the intricacies of California's stupid laws. Just about every question has been asked an answered. I know this one has been covered extensively. Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=387409
Thank you very much! If I read that right, the only thing that matter is owning them prior to 1/1/00, and only in places where shooting guns is legal. No proof of purchase or anything else.

COOL!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Dee View Post
Thank you very much! If I read that right, the only thing that matter is owning them prior to 1/1/00, and only in places where shooting guns is legal. No proof of purchase or anything else.

COOL!
The interesting thing about high capacity mags in CA is, it is only the acquiring them, selling or giving, importing, etc that is illegal. There is nothing illegal about owning, and using them. There is no criteria required to prove when or how, you acquired them.

Oddly owning a 30 round .223 mag means nothing and may be used in an AR15 that was correctly registered. And today you can by a complete AR15 with a fixed 10 round mag, held in with the bullet button, but if you lock in that 30 rounder into the new AR you will be in violation of creating an assault weapon. Bad.

LOG

Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
The interesting thing about high capacity mags in CA is, it is only the acquiring them, selling or giving, importing, etc that is illegal. There is nothing illegal about owning, and using them. There is no criteria required to prove when or how, you acquired them.

Oddly owning a 30 round .223 mag means nothing and may be used in an AR15 that was correctly registered. And today you can by a complete AR15 with a fixed 10 round mag, held in with the bullet button, but if you lock in that 30 rounder into the new AR you will be in violation of creating an assault weapon. Bad.

LOG
I suspect that when the bill was drafted someone in the legislature working for "the good guys" got language inserted that so clouds the issue it becomes very difficult for LE to determine what is legal and what is not. One can rebuild a 25 year old magazine with new parts and that is legal. Since that is legal, how does one make a determination of what is not legal?

I think one would literally have to be stopped on Rte 5 returning from a Reno gun show with the high caps and a credit card receipt in view to be pinched.

Obviously people should follow the law, but this law is so convoluted it make enforcement extremely difficult.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM

Mike Dee,

Another thing to remember is you can't lend, sell or give away your legal hi-cap magazine in CA. The only time you can lend your hi cap mag is when you are right there with the person.

Regards,

Rick