1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 PM

.250" is standard. What steel is yours?
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~
Old 04-27-2012, 08:50 PM

Not sure what steel was used on this one. I got it off of eBay as "New". The only markings I see are "STRIDER", and their logo.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 PM

Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 PM

That will be s30v. I really wouldn't worry about it, it's still thick and will take all kinds of abuse. It'll be a better cutter than the thicker stock.

What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~
Old 04-27-2012, 09:26 PM

It came to about 230 shipped.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 PM

It's definitely a sweet knife, but kind of defeats the purpose of me selling off a really nice 3/16" blade to get a DB-L. Looking for a prybar/chopping type. Maybe I'll trade it off on a thick stock DB-L.

Last edited by SuHu; 04-28-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Administrator

My daily carry is an SnG .

I donated this BT to the war effort in 2004 (one of our staff) . It's been through Iraq several times . The 2nd and 3rd photos were from a 6 month vacation he took in the Philippines around 2006 .

New just before I mailed it .

Philippines

Philippines / hog butcherin' .

Please visit Olde English Outfitters

We remember our friends Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Old 04-28-2012, 05:43 PM

Awesome guy sager! I donated a VB-GG (which was given back to me after two tours, surprisingly as I didn't ask for it back and hadn't spoken to him in over a year or more) and an SnG CC, which won't be coming back. I also lost an SnG CC and an SMF CC. Hopefully very soon I'll replace the SMF CC with one a buddy has I think he'll sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuHu View Post
It's definitely a sweet knife, but kind of defeats the purpose of me selling off a really nice 3/16" blade to get a DB-L. Looking for a prybar/chopping type. Maybe I'll trade it off on a thick stock DB-L.
If you go to UsualSuspect.net and get a cheap Cove subscription, I;m sure you could make a trade in no time at all.
~Paul Howe~
Old 04-28-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post

If you go to UsualSuspect.net and get a cheap Cove subscription, I;m sure you could make a trade in no time at all.
Thanks man. Looks like they want new members to wait 30 days to use the Cove.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM

That's an awesome picture. I'm glad you added the caption. I thought he might have cut himself shaving at first....

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy sajer View Post
Philippines / hog butcherin' .
Old 04-28-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Worth the wait. Best knife forum on the internet (with the JD a close second)...
Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I forgot about that, you're right. You could put it up for trade here, AR15.com, m4carbine.net, etc., until your 30 days are up.

Keep in mind that even though it's 3/16 and not 1/4, it's still likely stronger than most other knives, even other knives in s30v. Strider (and/or Paul Bos) really know how to heat treat steel. I've had many s30v knives before and the Striders are much tougher.

I know it seems like a 3/16 knife in s30v will be the same as other quality 3/16 s30v knives, but that's not really the case. On top of the heat treat, Strider grinds are done a certain way for a reason. There's a geometry to it and it makes the knives stronger that something thicker of the same steel that's not ground the same way.

If you look closely, you'll see the grinds follow the center line of the handle out to the tip. So, there's no point thinner where you'd be prying. On top of that, it has a 3/4 flat grind instead of a hollow grind. This also makes it stronger. The tip angle is steep, allowing you to pry and do very little, if any, damage to the tip.

I'm not trying to sell you on the 3/16, I'm just pointing out how tough what you have is compared to others that may look as strong. I'd be willing to be that the DB-L in 3/16 is stronger than many other makers 1/4 knives. The tip and the edge will survive much longer than you'd expect after serious use.

I am certain I could have opened that door with the 3/16 DB-L and probably even the EB/DB, which has a hollow grind.
~Paul Howe~
Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I forgot about that, you're right. You could put it up for trade here, AR15.com, m4carbine.net, etc., until your 30 days are up.

Keep in mind that even though it's 3/16 and not 1/4, it's still likely stronger than most other knives, even other knives in s30v. Strider (and/or Paul Bos) really know how to heat treat steel. I've had many s30v knives before and the Striders are much tougher.

I know it seems like a 3/16 knife in s30v will be the same as other quality 3/16 s30v knives, but that's not really the case. On top of the heat treat, Strider grinds are done a certain way for a reason. There's a geometry to it and it makes the knives stronger that something thicker of the same steel that's not ground the same way.

If you look closely, you'll see the grinds follow the center line of the handle out to the tip. So, there's no point thinner where you'd be prying. On top of that, it has a 3/4 flat grind instead of a hollow grind. This also makes it stronger. The tip angle is steep, allowing you to pry and do very little, if any, damage to the tip.

I'm not trying to sell you on the 3/16, I'm just pointing out how tough what you have is compared to others that may look as strong. I'd be willing to be that the DB-L in 3/16 is stronger than many other makers 1/4 knives. The tip and the edge will survive much longer than you'd expect after serious use.

I am certain I could have opened that door with the 3/16 DB-L and probably even the EB/DB, which has a hollow grind.

Yeah, this baby seems different than any other knife I've owned. I had my eye on a DB-L NSN on eBay, but it looks like its about to go for full retail price due to some rocket scientists caught up in a goofy bidding frenzy. (EDIT: Wow, it actually went for 330 bucks shipped.)

Maybe I'll keep this 3/16" for daily carry, and pick up a WB for heavier work, if I can find something else to sell. We shall see.

I can definitely see why people buy so many Striders. I've been looking at their whole line, and their folders also look awesome.

Last edited by SuHu; 04-29-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 PM

The folders are amazing. I really want that SMF CC. I should never have parted with my last one and won't do that again. Do you have a link to that listing?
~Paul Howe~
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
The folders are amazing. I really want that SMF CC. I should never have parted with my last one and won't do that again. Do you have a link to that listing?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 PM

~Paul Howe~
Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 PM

Oh, if you're interested in the folders, that last run of 3v SnG's sold out in something like 20 minutes, but now there are some CC and GG models coming soon. Could be tomorrow or a few days, I have no clue, but when they go up on MonkeyEdge, you'll have minutes to grab one.

I'd certainly go for a ranger green CC 3v SnG (or any color CC or GG actually), but it's just not going to happen for me right now. It's certainly worth it for the same price as an s30v model.

The first two on this page - http://www.monkeyedge.com/Strider_Kn...ives_s/147.htm
~Paul Howe~
Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 PM

Can some explain the main differences between the fixed blades with the gunner grips?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfHunter View Post
Can some explain the main differences between the fixed blades with the gunner grips?
Which ones are you referring to? All of them or in this thread?
~Paul Howe~
Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Which ones are you referring to? All of them or in this thread?
Specifically the fixed blade tanto.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 AM

There are a number of fixed blade tantos by Strider. But specifically between mine and SuHu's… They're both s30v DB-L's. Mine is the standard .250" thick while his is .190" thick. Mine is more suited for heavy prying. His will still pry and work well, but won't handle as much stress. In the DB-L, I prefer the thicker 1/4" (.250"). All else being equal though, the .190" DB'L will likely be a better slicer than the .250" DB-L.

Now, there's a DB in a pic I posted as well, which is just 1" shorter than the DB-L, same thickness though and handle length.

Then, I posted my VB-GG as well. This is about 3/4" longer in the blade, but also has about an extra 1" or so in the handle. Same .250 thickness. The VB-GG has the slight saw back (for wet cord, rope, etc.) while the WB (not pictured) and BT which guy sager posted are larger tantos (larger than the VB by a little more than 1") are .250" as well.

The BT guy sager posted is a little larger than the VB-GG I have. The WB is as well. These are close to 12" long total. The WB, as well as others, are available in a shorter, version, the same length as the VB-GG. These will have the designation Mod 10 after the name.

The WB and BT are very similar, full size knives. The differences are that the WB has a slight angle to the blade so it's not perfectly parallel to the handle. This is the way the VB-GG is as well. You can see in the pics the BT's edge is perfectly in line with the handle.

There are basically three general sizes for the standard knives. Small is under 8", which is the DB, DB-L, SA, EB/DB, etc. Medium would be 8" to 10" overall like the VB-GG, anything with the Mod 10 designation like the MT Mod 10, Mk1 Mod 10, etc. Then large is over 10", which would be the BT, WB, BN, Mk1, Mt and so on. The handle is about an inch different per size, if memory serves.

Hope that helps a bit, unless I completely misinterpreted your post! It's best to go to TrueNorthKnives, MonkeyEdge, Blue Line Gear, Blade Art or similar site. Strider's site wasn't the best and they're now working on a new one.
~Paul Howe~

Last edited by jonconsiglio; 05-02-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
My buddy's DB that I sharpened for him

The DB and DB-L are on the right. The VB-GG is basically a Mod 10 size. Then there's the BT as guy sager posted, which would be the next size up. All four of those knives will have the same .250 thickness unless you get one like SuHu's .190" thickness, though those aren't very common.

The only way I'd go .190 on a prying knife would be the 3v models that MonkeyEdge has on occasion, but they're sold out in 30 minutes when they go up for sale.

The video from MonkeyEdge where he's smashing all that stuff with the DB 3v is the .190 model. But, 3v will withstand abuse like that even better than s30v, though edge holding is not much better, if any, from what I understand. My Surefire Echo is 3v, but quite thin.
~Paul Howe~
Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM

I don't plan to ever pry anything so the thinner of the two is probably better. I really like that db and db-l
Old 05-02-2012, 06:37 PM

If you can find a DB in 3v, you'll have the best of both worlds. Talk to SuHu, I think he's looking to move that thinner DB-L he picked up. I'd kill for those gunner grips if either of y'all want to trade for the Coyote G10 NSN grips on mine!

Here's the 3v DB (not a DB-L). If you scroll down, you;ll see the video of Brady smashing all kinds of stuff. This is the thin .190" DB. They have limited runs, so they'll only be available for a few minutes when they're up. They make a .250 3v DB as well. I'd like a 3v DB-L .250 and a 3v SA-L .190 (which is the normal thickness for the SA/SA-L).

http://www.monkeyedge.com/Strider_Kn...n_p/sk0608.htm
~Paul Howe~
Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
If you can find a DB in 3v, you'll have the best of both worlds. Talk to SuHu, I think he's looking to move that thinner DB-L he picked up. I'd kill for those gunner grips if either of y'all want to trade for the Coyote G10 NSN grips on mine!

Here's the 3v DB (not a DB-L). If you scroll down, you;ll see the video of Brady smashing all kinds of stuff. This is the thin .190" DB. They have limited runs, so they'll only be available for a few minutes when they're up. They make a .250 3v DB as well. I'd like a 3v DB-L .250 and a 3v SA-L .190 (which is the normal thickness for the SA/SA-L).

http://www.monkeyedge.com/Strider_Kn...n_p/sk0608.htm
That's The one I want. I saw the vid about a week ago. How do I know when they are going to pop up? I would prefer the gunner grips over the frags