1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 PM

Sharpening question

I just got my first Benchmade (model 585) and really like it. It has now taken over as my EDC. My question is that when it finally gets duller, I do use knives, is there anything special when sharpening these blades? I've always just used round ceramic rod sharpener that I got about 20 years ago on all my knives. It has med and fine rods, just don't know what the angles are.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:14 PM

I sharpen all my BM (including the 585) with a Lansky set at the 25 degree angle and it maintains the edge perfect. Just don't allow the blade to become too dull, or you might have to pull out the coarser stones.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:21 PM

A Spyderco sharpmaker might get the job done quicker but there's nothing wrong with your ceramic rod setup. Wouldn't worry too much about the angle. Unless you're experimenting, anything between 15 and 20 degrees per side (30-40 inclusive) should be close to right. Less than that and you start having to worry about what you use it for. Your 585 has 154CM steel. It's good stuff but not made for a super shallow angle.

Last edited by Spook410; 03-11-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:46 PM

My BM (Griptilian) is 25 degrees per side, and from cinman's post others are too. I'd stick to that rather than trying to reprofile it.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 AM

For general sharpening I find the Lansky type sharpeners to be the most useful sharpener I have tried.I make knives for a hobby and profile the blade on a belt grinder but for the final edge it is Lansky.The basic kit is around $30.00 and is money well spent for any knife enthusiast.I have tried about all methods of sharpening but very few can maintain the correct angle without some type of guide.By maintaining the proper angle of the stone one gets a better edge and the knife performs better and lasts longer. COLD.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 PM

My suggestion for sharpening is to check out your local Craigslist for a 1" x 30" belt sander and buy it. You can usually get them for $40 or less. Stay away from the $40 one at Harbor Freight. It is pretty crappy.

Watch a few videos on youtube about belt sander sharpening. Ge a few old knives not worth much or other stuff like hatchets, axe, lawn mower blades and practice. It should not take you more than a few blades.

Visit pop's knife supply and buy the belts and strop.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipsip View Post
My suggestion for sharpening is to check out your local Craigslist for a 1" x 30" belt sander and buy it. You can usually get them for $40 or less. Stay away from the $40 one at Harbor Freight. It is pretty crappy.

Watch a few videos on youtube about belt sander sharpening. Ge a few old knives not worth much or other stuff like hatchets, axe, lawn mower blades and practice. It should not take you more than a few blades.

Be very careful though!! If you get the blade too hot you will ruin the tempering of the blade and make it not nearly as tough.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipsip View Post

While belt sander sharpening is effective for the experienced,I would not put a high end knife on a belt sander until a lot of experience has been gained.while this is a very fast way to sharpen it is also a very fast way to reduce a knife to worthless if one should decide to sell a high end knife.PROCEED WITH CAUTION.COLD.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:51 PM

I'll stick with my ceramic rods for the present time. I'll most likely get a Spyderco sharpmaker down the road since they are reasonably priced. BTW, I've got a $40 harbor Freight belt sander that I used for when I was removing wood flooring from concrete. Only burnt up 1 during the job and they gladly replaced it. I have no plans of using anything like this on a good steel...lawn mower blade might be another story.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

My choice for my knife sharpening is to use the Smith Stones I have a Combo soft/hard and a Black Hard. Takes some time but it works sharp magic.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:22 AM

Being new to all the quality knifes and sharpening ideas; I find it interesting there are so many prefered methods of shapening. Just goes to show there are many ways to skin a cat! If one has success regardless of method choosen, then it works! I just ordered my first Sharpmaker after not hearing one negitive about that system and can't wait to hopefully become proficient with it plus have a few sharp knives. Some day, I hope to give the paper wheels a go as well.

GC45
Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM

Got the Spyderco 204 yesterday so poped in the DVD watching it carefully. After setup I tried my very, very dull Griptilian D2 half seratted blade using the gray stones. After 15-20 minutes and lots of passes the edge was better but not what I had expected. Thinking my technique was off I watched the DVD once more and feel I had it down right. I then ran the front section of this blade through our 3 year old Chefs Choice 120 purchased from Cabelas and knowing it would set up the edge very quickly and with reasonable sharpness as it has in the past but never quit shave sharp. Aftwards, and wanting the blade sharper then the CC will do, I ran the entire blade as directed over the white stones, first the streight edge then the serrated portion and wow was I surprised! My knive is now shaving sharp as the video said. This is by far the best sharpening job I have ever done so thinking my blade was just to far down the trail (dull) for the Spyderco to reshape its edge in a quick time frame; I won't be waiting so long inbetween touchups now. Thanks to all who spoke highly of this sharpener as honest opinions are what we all look for and this great site has them.

GC45

Last edited by gc45; 04-11-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 PM

so how much is the spyderco?

Im currently checkig out the Wicked Edge website. That thing looks really cool but the Pro pack is almost $400.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM

Prices are all over the place, got mine for $46. on Ebay, spyderco 204 model.

gc45