1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 04-29-2012, 06:01 PM

Which Wilson????

I have the need for a Wilson Gun but have no idea which one to order. It would be used for target shooting and home defense. I work for a fed law enforcement agency that happens to worship Springfield. I was born and raised in Arkansas, and still call Mountain Home home. Which Wilson should I get nag why? Thx in advance for any advice.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 PM

depends

I only plan on having one and wish I ordered a supergrade,

If this is going to be your only one go all the way in my opinion.

I spending 4+ on my TE. Now that I think of it should have just got the supergrade seeing it will be my only wilson.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 PM

I have a few. For what you describe I would get a SS classic. Awesome gun, a couple thousand less than a supergrade and almost as nice. Not a big difference. Plus it's just as accurate at the range.

It is my favorite 1911 I own. Not near the most expensive I own, but my favorite.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:30 PM

You're going to hear a bunch of different suggestions. If for the range and home defense, I would go with the Tactical LE. It has a rail for a light and the added weight in the front is a benefit when shooting. I have one for my home defense gun and a couple 10 round magazines. The gun shoots wonderful. Mine is actually at Wilson now for some upgrades and a refinish. Should be home this month. Congrats on whatever you choose
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM

I almost have to agree with DSULLY, I have one also, it shoots great, but for a carry I use the BWC, what ever one you decide on you wont be sorry, the only problem with any Wilson is they like company, you can't only have one. Good luck with you decision, and welcome to the forum and to the wilson club.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 PM

Set a budget limit first and then go for the best optioned Wilson within that limit.

Warning! Wilson's tend to be addictive. I started out mildly curious about 1911s. Have bought and sold an Ed Brown and an Wilson RDP. Now have two Wilson Supergrades with another on order.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:17 PM

You can't go wrong with any Supergrade but if cost is a factor, a CQB Elite or a Tactical Elite would be great.
NRA Endowment Member:Wilson Classic SG x2,Tactical SG 9mm Barron Blue, Tactical Elite 45acp, Tactical Elite 45acp(Barron Blue), Wilson CQB Elite 45acp x3, CQB Elite 9mm x2, Wilson CQB Compact 9mm and 45acp, Wilson Stealth 9mm x2, Stealth 45acp, Ed Brown Special Force SS and Carry SS, Ed Brown Kobra and Kobra Carry SS, Kimber SS Raptor II, Caesar Guerini Apex Trap...
Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

Look at all the models and options and get a firm understanding of it all. I know at first the selection is overwhelming. Once you have done that call Wilson and talk it over with a sales rep, they usually have great input to your build.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsully View Post
You're going to hear a bunch of different suggestions. If for the range and home defense, I would go with the Tactical LE. It has a rail for a light and the added weight in the front is a benefit when shooting. I have one for my home defense gun and a couple 10 round magazines. The gun shoots wonderful. Mine is actually at Wilson now for some upgrades and a refinish. Should be home this month. Congrats on whatever you choose
I like this suggestion. If you are going to spend most of the time shooting it at the range, I would have an adj sight on the back.

My TRP Operator built by SA is basically the same configuration as the TAC LE. It is no Wilson, but an excellently configured (IMHO) for range and nightduty/home defense.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:12 PM

I recomend the tactical le. Its an amazing weapon.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 PM

I currently own a 1996A2 and a CQB Elite, but I bought both used and didn't get my choice of options.

If I were starting over and buying new, my choice would definitely be an all bullet proof full size gun, and I would want it to include night sights, a speed chute, slim grip screw bushings, and a light rail. Another preference is that it would include a barrel with a bushing, and though I do see the logic in ambi safeties, I am not personally a fan.

I haven't looked at the list of available models lately and don't know if there is one that fits my wants, but this is what I would look for in my dream Wilson.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 PM

I've always found the fact that Wison has so many different models pretty silly given that they'll build any gun you want any way you want. And sometimes the only thing that separates one model from another is one or two small features.

So forget about trying to pick a model. Spend your time figuring out what features you want. Do you want a full size or a compact? Stainless, Carbon Steel or Aluminum? Armor Tuff...or Blue? What sights do you want? What caliber? FLGR or GI guide rod? Reverse crown barrel or not? Bull barrel or not? Rail or no rail? Etc.

Put that list together and then call Wislon and let them point you to the best model to serve as the starting point.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
I've always found the fact that Wison has so many different models pretty silly given that they'll build any gun you want any way you want. And sometimes the only thing that separates one model from another is one or two small features.

So forget about trying to pick a model. Spend your time figuring out what features you want. Do you want a full size or a compact? Stainless, Carbon Steel or Aluminum? Armor Tuff...or Blue? What sights do you want? What caliber? FLGR or GI guide rod? Reverse crown barrel or not? Bull barrel or not? Rail or no rail? Etc.

Put that list together and then call Wislon and let them point you to the best model to serve as the starting point.
This is a great approach. +1
Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 AM

Ordered a CQB Elite a couple of months ago. I have five Ed Browns and couldn't see the point of extra cost for Supergrade. I have heard great things, so we'll see.

Ed Brown Special Forces, EB Kobra with light rail, EB Centennial Edition, EB Kobra Carry, EB Special Force Carry, EB Special Forces in stealth grey, Nighthawk Custom - ACC, Wilson Combat CQB Elite.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM

I see a lot of great advice above; especially the advice on selecting the features YOU want first; then looking at which model is closest to that combination and taking it from there. Also, the price parameter advice; after all, if your price range extends into SuperGrade territory, that's what you should choose (but for your intended purposes, you really do not need a SG).

Adding more suggestions, I think the sights you select are really critical. With my substantial existing Wilson collection, I find that (for me) when I think about another Wilson, the sight selection becomes one of my first considerations. And related to the sight selection, the lighting conditions of expected use often determine whether or not to select the slide top serrations.

Take your time in making these selections (materials/finish, size, chambering, sights, trigger, grip, thumb safety, etc). Thoroughly think about each one of these on the front end of the buying process; not the back end!!

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 AM

chrysanthemum is correct about the "back end" comment. As I recently sent away a 1911 to have some final or "back end" upgrades and you're never guaranteed that you'll get everything you want the way you want. In my case it was more of my communication with the manufacturer that caused the problem. My issues could easily been averted by making one decision with everything I wanted and sticking with it...no after-thoughts. Do yourself a favor and be thorough about your choices with both pistol and options. You can do options later but it's much better to do everything up front and get it exactly the way you want!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

I would encourage you to think about a full size CQB. I'm partial
to full size 1911's and the CQB because I have one. It's an amazing 1911.

If you're into "bells & whistles", then consider a CQB Elite.

As previously mentioned, try and narrow down some basic features first, and then talk to a Wilson rep. You'll get some great advice.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you choose!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:17 PM

I would suggest the full size Ultra Light Carry (ULC) if you intend to carry the pistol. It is an all BP gun (grip, thumb safety and hammer are a little smaller but BP all the way) with an alloy frame. It is almost as easy to shoot as an all steel gun and just as accurate for me (the 1" guarantee is the same). It has everything Wilson offers in a full size .45 except a light-rail, full length guild rod, speed chute, lanyard ring, ambi-safety and back pain inducing weight. All things I do not miss.

It does have all the esthetic features I like including top and rear slide serrations and the carry cut treatment on the front of the slide (ala Browning Hi-Power), extreme bevel on the slide edges, rounded main-spring housing, Starburst grips and star head grip screws that stay tight without #60 o-rings. Mine came with a crowned and flush barrel, flush slide stop and Wilson's night sights (yellow rear and green front). It is all AT black

This gun carrys even "better" when loaded with 9 Barnes 185 gr +P rounds. I prefer ASYM to the Wilson or Corbon loads b/c of their nickel plated cases.

I like it so much that I have ordered a Supergrade version of this same gun except with battle rear and gold dot front sights. I also asked for the rear of the magwell to be dished out as they do when a speeed chute is added.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 PM

This. I love mine and it is an easy pistol to shoot.

http://www.rankinarms.com/guns/details.php?id=276
Old 05-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
Set a budget limit first and then go for the best optioned Wilson within that limit.
Budgets suck!!! Option that bad boy to the hilt!!!! Let the kids go to community college instead of that out of state 4 yr school!!!!.

Heh heh....it's fun to play Democrat and spending other folks money!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:17 PM

Since this is going to be a range gun I would suggest the Wilson Classic. The adjustable sights are great to have (for home defense size and sights are not an issue). I certainly like my Classic that I got about a month ago. It's everything Wilson claims it to be.

Last edited by BYJO4; 05-01-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Well BigHatLaw, there you go. After all that, you are probably no better off than when you started as far as narrowing the selection goes because . . . well . . . opinions, you know what they say about those.

BUT, what you may have gathered from all of these varied responses is what I think is the BEST thing about buying a Wilson -- you surely will NOT go wrong whatever you decide!! Good luck and enjoy it whatever you buy!!

Frank

PS - for the record, I own the exact same gun BYJ04 shows above and that CDBurner is recommending (with, as expected, the urge to buy another!!!).