1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Israeli Hi Powers

Heads up. Royal Tiger Importers are reporting a new shipment of Israeli Hi Powers.
Israeli Hi Power
Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the alert.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:01 AM

Seems like a valid temptation @ $379.95 ea. I'm very curious as to condition since majority of Israeli import pistols I've seen need some cosmetic TLC. Internally pistols were excellent. I won't bite due to already I have one, but not with Star of David. Hopefully someone here takes the bait and posts pictures.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I'm very curious as to condition since majority of Israeli import pistols I've seen need some cosmetic TLC.
Not sure if you read the description and saw the pull-down selections, but it appears that for a max of $559 you could specify Star of David (hand picked) and Excellent condition. link
Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM

The link shows a MKII. They are getting hard to find. Even the "Hand Picked" price is good for a MKII.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 04-13-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_H View Post
Not sure if you read the description and saw the pull-down selections, but it appears that for a max of $559 you could specify Star of David (hand picked) and Excellent condition. link
I missed that! Thanks for bring this to my attention Joel_H. Very tempting....
Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the 'heads up'!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 PM

Has anyone had luck getting one of these to CA? My previous FFL retired last year and don't really have one lined up yet. Thanks.

Last edited by Ruber; 04-13-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:08 PM

Hi, I am new here. I just bought one of these pistols. Mine was a CC&R vintage weapon and considering that it was a real field piece, it is complete with all numbers matching. There was still some fine desert yellow dirt in the nooks and crannies. After cleaning, inspection, and lube I shot the pistol today and was surprised with amazingly good target groups.

My contact with the Royal Tiger folks was quite positive, I felt they went out of their way to find me a selected good example of this fine Milsurp pistol.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM

I recently ordered one of the Royal Tiger Inport Israeli Hi Powers. I ordered one of the "Very Good" versions.

I picked the gun up today and offer the following opinion:
- It was "Fair" at best with worn bluing and surface scratches.
- It came without a magazine (I have contacted RTI to have them correct this problem)
+ It has the Star of David logo
+ Matching numbers
- It has the number 4 engraved on both sides of the trigger.

I went into this knowing I might need to have the pistol cerakoted. The bluing wear and surfaces scratches should not prevent me from doing this. I should end up with a nice Hi Power.

WDEagle

Last edited by WDEagle; 04-26-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned

that is what I was thinking, if you buy one of these then there really is no way to guarantee condition. Might as well buy low and hope to get a good one.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 PM

When you buy any of these imports you have to go in understanding that you are buying a shooter and nothing more. At the price that they are charging, you are STILL getting a great gun at a great price. I've had (and have) several and I've never had a problem with any of them. All were solid shooters and reliable and all had better triggers than most Browning-marked hi-powers that I've bought new. For the price, I don't think that you can get a better handgun (with the possible exception of a used Glock).

If you don't like the Mark II guns, I was told that paying for hand-select will also enable you to get them to pick a 1989 or 1990 gun, either of which SHOULD be a Mark III. I've been contemplating picking up a couple of these but I just don't know what I'd do with two MORE hi-powers.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)
Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 PM

My wife is getting me one of these Israeli Hi-Powers as one of my retirement gifts. I told a gunsmith friend of mine about the Israeli imports. Today when he checked the web site the price had gone up $20.00 to $399. I plan on replacing a lot of the internals with Cylinder and slide parts, new sights, and refinishing the pistol.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dep2386 View Post
My wife is getting me one of these Israeli Hi-Powers as one of my retirement gifts. I told a gunsmith friend of mine about the Israeli imports. Today when he checked the web site the price had gone up $20.00 to $399. I plan on replacing a lot of the internals with Cylinder and slide parts, new sights, and refinishing the pistol.
I just got an email from RTI stating that my $379 price did not include a magazine. The new $399 price includes 1 magazine.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDEagle View Post
I just got an email from RTI stating that my $379 price did not include a magazine. The new $399 price includes 1 magazine.
Just so I have this straight, if you pay $379 it comes without a magazine?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Right now on my hip the real (made in ) Israeli Hi Power...The Kareen...massaged by Novaks
Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6285108 View Post
Right now on my hip the real (made in ) Israeli Hi Power...The Kareen...massaged by Novaks
Could we see a photo of it?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 PM

Sure

Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 AM

Nice looking Hi-Power 6285108. What all did you have Novak's do to your pistol? Novak's has been blessing guns for me since 1982 (I'm originally from Marietta,OH/Parkersburg,WV). Strayed once last year, but ended up having them correct local plumbers inexperience.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Nice looking Hi-Power 6285108. What all did you have Novak's do to your pistol? Novak's has been blessing guns for me since 1982 (I'm originally from Marietta,OH/Parkersburg,WV). Strayed once last year, but ended up having them correct local plumbers inexperience.
Reliability Pkg., Night Sights, Thumb safety, remove mag disco, trigger breaks at 5.5 Lbs....and the reblue
Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 PM

Thanks for this thread, but I am too late. They don't show any on their website.

Does anyone else know a source for the Israeli HP?

ML
Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 PM

Mushinto:

I think I got one of the last ones in their stock. I ordered on Monday and Tuesday the $399 option was gone (only option was to add $150 for like new).

It appears the +$150 is still an option: http://www.royaltigerimports.com/com...category_id=12

I picked mine up yesterday and spent the evening cleaning it up. Mine is an updated '68 T series that is a bit rough but not bad for $400.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentite View Post
Mushinto:

I think I got one of the last ones in their stock. I ordered on Monday and Tuesday the $399 option was gone (only option was to add $150 for like new).
Is that the Israeli one? That is the type I am looking for.

Last edited by Mushinto; 05-08-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
Is that the Israeli one? That is the type I am looking for.
Yes, that is an Israeli from Royal Tiger/IO. There are no Israeli markings that I can find. There was some of the "yellow dust" inside that others have reported with Israeli BHPs.

From what I've seen the Israeli BHPs cover multiple years from internal extractor 1950s to MkIIIs. Mine has been "updated" with the spur hammer, ambi safety and plastic grips.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 AM

Inter-Ordnance/Royal Tiger Imports can officially kiss my fuzzy rear-end!! And that's being seriously nice about it.....

Bought one of their Israeli Browning Hi Powers, advertised as being 'Like New' condition, excellent bore, 'various authentic markings', etc....
Yeah, no....

It's a 1986 Mk. II w/ a very old thumb safety (not the ambidextrous usually seen on these), no markings whatsoever, a bore that looks
serviceable (but *SO* not excellent condition), and a parkerizing job that looks like my 4 y/o did it. Some parts were sandblasted, then
parked, and some were parked right over the bluing. Some parts weren't even parked at all (some still blue), and from the trigger pull,
my opinion (and that of my FFL/gunsmith) is that they parked the frame w/o disassembling it.

Ever tried out a Hi Power w/ a 20-lb trigger pull?

The finish came off of the thumb-safety when I rubbed it - and it's so tight, you definitely can't swipe it on/off w/ your thumb.
The grips are loose, even though the screws are tightened down. Oh, and the screws were mangled with a screwdriver, then blued over....

Looking at the box, I'm not convinced that they didn't pull a so-so example off of the rack, repark it, then throw it in the box to sell it as
'like new' - the bubble-wrap was wet (inside wrap), which then leaked onto the box and dried w/ a chemical residue. (And it's not Hoppes,
Break-Free or some other lube...)

The CS said that if I want to send it back (never mind that it's not as advertised), it'll be on my dime, and if they decide that it's
my imagination, they'll charge me a 20% restock fee.

F* that noise!! Will do some Google research tomorrow and see if I can get some e-mail addresses for some of the higher-ups, and
contact them. I'll probably get ignored, but on the off chance that the head-shed doesn't know how things are running in the
warehouse, I'll give it a try.

If nothing else, I guess I'll have a $550 project to work with my smith, to learn how to fix it up to how it should be.....

(And I've ordered an ass-ton of stuff from them in the past w/o a bit of an issue... No longer!)

(How's that for a first post....)