1911Forum banner

Ed Brown grip safety fitment?

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Shaper 
#1 ·
Took the plunge and ordered a commander size Caspian frame/slide yesterday.

I ordered it with a .250 radius and placed an order for an Ed Brown grip safety.

I was reading some older threads where people had trouble with fitting the EB gs.

Has that issue been resolved? Anyone with recent experience fitting an EB to a Caspian?

Thanks!

#3 ·
The Ed Brown beavertail is made for a VERY high grip hand-hold, so it usually requires relieving and re-blending the UNDERSIDE of the frame tangs. This brings you very close the the thumb-safety's pin hole, which may leave your thumb-safety hanging 'over' the (new) edge of your re-contoured frame, when the safety is in the 'down' position. This, then, requires you to re-contour the thumb-safety to match the frame contour... but now you may leave the safety's frame 'window' exposed when it is in the 'up' position.

#5 ·
The shape of the upper tangs is where the problem arises in fitting a Brown, or any other .250" radius safety to Caspian frames. The tangs slope downward quite a bit the further you move out on the tangs. A .250" radius removes the least of material from the tangs and the downward slope can give you a real problem getting a smooth and pleasing transition between the frame and safety. Again, this is on the top.

Since a .220" radius goes deeper into the tangs, the downward slope is eliminated by the tang cut. We've gotten consistent results in class by using the .220" radius S&A grip safeties.

Here are some class Caspians with the S&A grip safety, built by first-timers.

Notice how the upper frame lines sweep into the top lines of the grip safeties smoothly.

#10 · (Edited)
An update: I test fit the EB part and the EGW .245 radius, then decided to go with the EGW one.

The EB gs could have worked, but I would have had to grind/file a fair amount of material off the part plus the frame to make it work.

The EGW gs is beefier, as they say in the right places. Most of the grinding/filing was done on the part rather than the frame. I'm almost done blending it to the frame, it's turning out well, and I will try to get some pics up next week when I'm off work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.