1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Remington

Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 AM

Seriously looking at R1 Enhanced

I have a few extra bucks in my gun stash and took a look at the R1 E last week. I picked up a 5" S&W 1911 E a few weeks ago but eyed this in the show case while buying it, blew it off, but it stuck in my mind. I think it has super features for the money though the jury is out on the fibre optic front sight. Hey, that could be replaced easy enough I guess, it's dovetailed. I thought this sub forum was going to be a love fest for the Remington 1911 pistols but there sure are a lot of, shall we say, negative posts, regarding a few bad pistols and CS. I'm probably still going to get it. So any of you folks recently got one of the Enhanced pistols and want to share some thoughts.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 AM

I fondeled one at my lgs Friday, it was ok ,but for about 100 bucks less they had the Springfield range officer which I liked better,but it seemed to be very nice, good frame to slide fit and a decent trigger
Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM

We're at the mercy of the "list" here in Massachuaetts, or what the Attorney General tells us what we can buy. Unfortunately I don't think any Springfield is Mass compliant. But someday....when I move to a free state.....
Old 04-15-2012, 05:16 PM

A Range Officer cheaper? Thats a no brainer. I do not have a enhanced, but a Talo edition. I could not be happier with it. Fiber optic fronts are great in daylight. I have them on a few of my firearms. If it disappears, its easy to replace the light tube. I've had to replace one, once, in the last ten years. I have an add on one on my Mossberg 590SP shotgun, its like having a light to look at its so bright. You instantly pickup the front sight.

Last edited by lt7d101; 04-15-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:58 PM

One of my shooting partners has the enhanced R1. It's a nice gun. Same nice finish as the standard R1 and it's grips are very nice. I was all hot for one until I bought the Range Officer then I kinda quit looking at them. I'm not a fan of fiber optic sights. I've seen quite a few of them come out at IPSC events or at the range. Not a huge deal to put back in but finding the damn things in the range sucks.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 PM

Thats why I carry some extras with me. Try finding them in the grass. Reminds me of when we transistioned to Glocks. The guy next to me draws and I hear ***!, front sight was missing....
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 PM

Remington R1 Enhanced

I picked up an R1E around mid December and have had it to the range many times and gone through several hundred rounds, mostly handloads. I like it so much that I got rid of my Sig P220 and P250 since my R1E is my primary and just about only carry gun. If I could have only one weapon, this is the one. I have two other 1911's, one a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II and an ATI 1911 Military.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUser View Post
I picked up an R1E around mid December and have had it to the range many times and gone through several hundred rounds, mostly handloads. I like it so much that I got rid of my Sig P220 and P250 since my R1E is my primary and just about only carry gun. If I could have only one weapon, this is the one. I have two other 1911's, one a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II and an ATI 1911 Military.
Mine is not the Enhanced (Talo), but there is just something about this pistol that I love. I choose it over a custom DW for carry during the day.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 PM

I have an Enhanced and really like it alot. Front site is a bit large but function is great. Was shooting a biy left but partially me and site adjustment. But it shoots great. So far I think it will shoot straighter than my Sig Traditional Match Elite. I would buy another one in a heartbeat Go for it.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 PM

My R1 along with my SR1911

Old 04-21-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crracer_712 View Post
My R1 along with my SR1911

Which of those do you like better and why?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 PM

I haven't got a lot of time in with either. Some things I've noticed between the two are as follows

The slide racks easier on the R1, I've been told it has a 2.5 lb light spring.

The Ruger has actual Novak sights, I've seen people mention that while the R1 has Novak styled sight, when they went to replace them, the dove tail cuts weren't identical.

The trigger on the Ruger is tigher, but both work very smoothly. I've seen mention that some people say their Ruger trigger is loose.

With the heavier spring on the Ruger, and no ammo being chambered, you can ride the slide closed, but on the Remington, it won't close without assist. Just something I noticed, you wouldn't be riding the slide closed anyway.

The grip safety is much tighter in the R1, the Ruger has quite a bit of play side to side.

I prefer the slimmer panels on the Ruger, but that's just me, and I won't be changing the panels on the R1.

Both functioned flawlessly when shot.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crracer_712 View Post
I haven't got a lot of time in with either. Some things I've noticed between the two are as follows

The slide racks easier on the R1, I've been told it has a 2.5 lb light spring.

The Ruger has actual Novak sights, I've seen people mention that while the R1 has Novak styled sight, when they went to replace them, the dove tail cuts weren't identical.

The trigger on the Ruger is tigher, but both work very smoothly. I've seen mention that some people say their Ruger trigger is loose.

With the heavier spring on the Ruger, and no ammo being chambered, you can ride the slide closed, but on the Remington, it won't close without assist. Just something I noticed, you wouldn't be riding the slide closed anyway.

The grip safety is much tighter in the R1, the Ruger has quite a bit of play side to side.

I prefer the slimmer panels on the Ruger, but that's just me, and I won't be changing the panels on the R1.

Both functioned flawlessly when shot.
Thanks man.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM

I guess if I were to keep just one, I'd be keeping the Ruger.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:52 PM

It appears to me that the Enchanced R1 in blue cost more than the over inflated pricing of the Ruger sr1911 stainless. Appears they both have about the same goodies, right? wrong?
Best prices anyone has personally been given.
Thanks
Corvette
Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette View Post
It appears to me that the Enchanced R1 in blue cost more than the over inflated pricing of the Ruger sr1911 stainless. Appears they both have about the same goodies, right? wrong?
Best prices anyone has personally been given.
Thanks
Corvette
I'm not sure I follow the over inflated pricing comment. However, I paid 679 for the Ruger and 713 for the Enhanced. The Enhanced is not a 'blued' pistol.

They are similarly equiped. Which ever one you like better aesthetically wise would be subjective to your personal tastes.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:09 PM

I have the Enhanced ordered. I went with it for the Enhanced trigger and hammer and the adjustable rear sights. I also liked the Beavertail grip safety. The SS version is only about $55 more than the standard version looking at my suppliers.

Mike

Last edited by FFLMike; 04-27-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFLMike View Post
I have the Enhanced ordered. I went with it for the Enhanced trigger and hammer and the adjustable rear sights. I also liked the Beavertail grip safety. The SS version is only about $55 more than the standard version looking at my suppliers.
Are they available?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 PM

Sorry, no the Enhanced is not available in stainless. I had two thoughts going there.

Mike
Old 04-29-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFLMike View Post
Sorry, no the Enhanced is not available in stainless. I had two thoughts going there.
dang...
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM

I love my R1 Enhanced. I'm glad I bought it instead of the Colt or the Springfield.