1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Remington


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 AM
greencobra greencobra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 150
Seriously looking at R1 Enhanced




I have a few extra bucks in my gun stash and took a look at the R1 E last week. I picked up a 5" S&W 1911 E a few weeks ago but eyed this in the show case while buying it, blew it off, but it stuck in my mind. I think it has super features for the money though the jury is out on the fibre optic front sight. Hey, that could be replaced easy enough I guess, it's dovetailed. I thought this sub forum was going to be a love fest for the Remington 1911 pistols but there sure are a lot of, shall we say, negative posts, regarding a few bad pistols and CS. I'm probably still going to get it. So any of you folks recently got one of the Enhanced pistols and want to share some thoughts.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 AM
H-D H-D is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 563
I fondeled one at my lgs Friday, it was ok ,but for about 100 bucks less they had the Springfield range officer which I liked better,but it seemed to be very nice, good frame to slide fit and a decent trigger
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM
greencobra greencobra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 150
We're at the mercy of the "list" here in Massachuaetts, or what the Attorney General tells us what we can buy. Unfortunately I don't think any Springfield is Mass compliant. But someday....when I move to a free state.....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2012, 05:16 PM
lt7d101 lt7d101 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: MB,SC
Posts: 1,621
A Range Officer cheaper? Thats a no brainer. I do not have a enhanced, but a Talo edition. I could not be happier with it. Fiber optic fronts are great in daylight. I have them on a few of my firearms. If it disappears, its easy to replace the light tube. I've had to replace one, once, in the last ten years. I have an add on one on my Mossberg 590SP shotgun, its like having a light to look at its so bright. You instantly pickup the front sight.

Last edited by lt7d101; 04-15-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-15-2012, 05:58 PM
crashoverrideplik crashoverrideplik is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,831
One of my shooting partners has the enhanced R1. It's a nice gun. Same nice finish as the standard R1 and it's grips are very nice. I was all hot for one until I bought the Range Officer then I kinda quit looking at them. I'm not a fan of fiber optic sights. I've seen quite a few of them come out at IPSC events or at the range. Not a huge deal to put back in but finding the damn things in the range sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 PM
lt7d101 lt7d101 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: MB,SC
Posts: 1,621
Thats why I carry some extras with me. Try finding them in the grass. Reminds me of when we transistioned to Glocks. The guy next to me draws and I hear ***!, front sight was missing....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 PM
SigUser SigUser is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 6
Remington R1 Enhanced

I picked up an R1E around mid December and have had it to the range many times and gone through several hundred rounds, mostly handloads. I like it so much that I got rid of my Sig P220 and P250 since my R1E is my primary and just about only carry gun. If I could have only one weapon, this is the one. I have two other 1911's, one a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II and an ATI 1911 Military.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:04 AM
lt7d101 lt7d101 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: MB,SC
Posts: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUser View Post
I picked up an R1E around mid December and have had it to the range many times and gone through several hundred rounds, mostly handloads. I like it so much that I got rid of my Sig P220 and P250 since my R1E is my primary and just about only carry gun. If I could have only one weapon, this is the one. I have two other 1911's, one a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II and an ATI 1911 Military.
Mine is not the Enhanced (Talo), but there is just something about this pistol that I love. I choose it over a custom DW for carry during the day.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 PM
colfaxent colfaxent is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 22
I have an Enhanced and really like it alot. Front site is a bit large but function is great. Was shooting a biy left but partially me and site adjustment. But it shoots great. So far I think it will shoot straighter than my Sig Traditional Match Elite. I would buy another one in a heartbeat Go for it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Crracer_712 Crracer_712 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 45
My R1 along with my SR1911

__________________
Rod
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-21-2012, 07:54 PM
BladeRunner2019 BladeRunner2019 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crracer_712 View Post
My R1 along with my SR1911

Which of those do you like better and why?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Crracer_712 Crracer_712 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 45
I haven't got a lot of time in with either. Some things I've noticed between the two are as follows

The slide racks easier on the R1, I've been told it has a 2.5 lb light spring.

The Ruger has actual Novak sights, I've seen people mention that while the R1 has Novak styled sight, when they went to replace them, the dove tail cuts weren't identical.

The trigger on the Ruger is tigher, but both work very smoothly. I've seen mention that some people say their Ruger trigger is loose.

With the heavier spring on the Ruger, and no ammo being chambered, you can ride the slide closed, but on the Remington, it won't close without assist. Just something I noticed, you wouldn't be riding the slide closed anyway.

The grip safety is much tighter in the R1, the Ruger has quite a bit of play side to side.

I prefer the slimmer panels on the Ruger, but that's just me, and I won't be changing the panels on the R1.

Both functioned flawlessly when shot.
__________________
Rod
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-21-2012, 08:37 PM
BladeRunner2019 BladeRunner2019 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crracer_712 View Post
I haven't got a lot of time in with either. Some things I've noticed between the two are as follows

The slide racks easier on the R1, I've been told it has a 2.5 lb light spring.

The Ruger has actual Novak sights, I've seen people mention that while the R1 has Novak styled sight, when they went to replace them, the dove tail cuts weren't identical.

The trigger on the Ruger is tigher, but both work very smoothly. I've seen mention that some people say their Ruger trigger is loose.

With the heavier spring on the Ruger, and no ammo being chambered, you can ride the slide closed, but on the Remington, it won't close without assist. Just something I noticed, you wouldn't be riding the slide closed anyway.

The grip safety is much tighter in the R1, the Ruger has quite a bit of play side to side.

I prefer the slimmer panels on the Ruger, but that's just me, and I won't be changing the panels on the R1.

Both functioned flawlessly when shot.
Thanks man.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Crracer_712 Crracer_712 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 45
I guess if I were to keep just one, I'd be keeping the Ruger.
__________________
Rod
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:52 PM
corvette corvette is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
It appears to me that the Enchanced R1 in blue cost more than the over inflated pricing of the Ruger sr1911 stainless. Appears they both have about the same goodies, right? wrong?
Best prices anyone has personally been given.
Thanks
Corvette
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Crracer_712 Crracer_712 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette View Post
It appears to me that the Enchanced R1 in blue cost more than the over inflated pricing of the Ruger sr1911 stainless. Appears they both have about the same goodies, right? wrong?
Best prices anyone has personally been given.
Thanks
Corvette
I'm not sure I follow the over inflated pricing comment. However, I paid 679 for the Ruger and 713 for the Enhanced. The Enhanced is not a 'blued' pistol.

They are similarly equiped. Which ever one you like better aesthetically wise would be subjective to your personal tastes.
__________________
Rod
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-27-2012, 01:09 PM
FFLMike FFLMike is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 25
I have the Enhanced ordered. I went with it for the Enhanced trigger and hammer and the adjustable rear sights. I also liked the Beavertail grip safety. The SS version is only about $55 more than the standard version looking at my suppliers.
__________________
"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Mike

Last edited by FFLMike; 04-27-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-28-2012, 08:28 AM
lt7d101 lt7d101 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: MB,SC
Posts: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFLMike View Post
I have the Enhanced ordered. I went with it for the Enhanced trigger and hammer and the adjustable rear sights. I also liked the Beavertail grip safety. The SS version is only about $55 more than the standard version looking at my suppliers.
Are they available?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 PM
FFLMike FFLMike is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 25
Sorry, no the Enhanced is not available in stainless. I had two thoughts going there.
__________________
"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-29-2012, 04:36 PM
lt7d101 lt7d101 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: MB,SC
Posts: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFLMike View Post
Sorry, no the Enhanced is not available in stainless. I had two thoughts going there.
dang...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM
castros rat castros rat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 3
I love my R1 Enhanced. I'm glad I bought it instead of the Colt or the Springfield.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved