LEE PERFET POWDER MEASURE
LEE FOUR DIE SET
HORNADY 230GR FMJ-RN
CCI 300 PRIMER
IMR 4756 POWDER
LYMAN 500 scale
FRANKFORD ARMORY CALIPER
SA RANGE OFFICER

Well I looked at the HOGDON site first. It said this powder and bullet a COL/OAL length of 1.20 looked stupid short compared to factory WWB. So referenced my LYMANS boodk for a COL/OAL of 1.275. Factory WWB measured 1.263 to 1.265. So I set my dies for 1.263. Also crip on factory was .468 so I went with that. Added 6.3GRS +/- .2GRS of the IMR 4756 (LYMAN book called for 6-7GRS so did the HOGDON site).

5shot group was 2in or better at 10yds. it looked like a colverleaf or daisy center of target. I was happy with the 5. No cycle or feed or fire issues. Figure I will run about 50 at this load at a measuring pace (I have so far loaded and measued an additional 15 rnds). Not really happy with the LEE PWDR measurer but it is new so will keep tweaking it.

Tony
Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 PM

I always check the OAL in the guides but use the plunk test to determine what my pistols will run. I generally stay away from maximum loads so if I am slightly shorter than the book I'm not worried. So far, by doing the plunk test method I've not had one FTF (knock on wood) that was not caused by an error on my part (dies not ajusted correctly and shaved lead).

Doesn't it feel great when your reloads run smooth?

It's not what you take with you when you leave this world behind, it's what you leave behind you when you go!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM

Congratulations!
It is the same when you're stupid.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 PM

Yes I plunk tested a couple of dead rnds (no pwder or primer, bullet and case only)before I "fully" loaded any rds. Now I did smash some unloaded cases and really bury a bullet in the case setting up my dies....so guess you experienced guys can tell yep Im a nubby reloader. BUT man how gratifying when I pulled the trigger and got the group I got. Lots learned here before I ever loaded one round. Still a rookie still reading but just trying.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 PM

make sure you invest in one or those whack-a-mole bullet pullers. that will let you save your test bullets.

Lee auto disk isn't too bad and not too expensive either. you could get that and get more ammo made.

Bushmaster ORC in 5.56, DPMS Panther Bull 20 in .223, Citadel 1911FS in 45ACP, Rock Island Armory 1911FS in 9mm, M&P FS in 9mm, S&W 22A in 22LR
Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Congrats, it's quite a rush to pull the trigger on your first reloads isn't it!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 PM

Congrats on your new hobby. Not only is it relaxing and more economical, it also provides a lot of satisfaction when you shoot tight groups with your own ammo.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 PM

I loaded a few hundred rounds with the Lee Perfect Powder measure before switching to the AutoDisk. I, too, had some reservations about it after reading posts where some loved it and others hated it (mostly because it is a Lee product, I think)! I found that, with the Win231 and Titegroup that I was using, at least, if you flip the handle up, tap the round disc that the handle mounts to twice with my middle finger to settle the powder, then flip it down, and tap twice to get all of the powder out of it, it is VERY consistent. The only reason that I went with the AutoDisk was speed while using the powder through expanding die. I bought the AutoDisk used, and then my son gave me a ProAutoDisk for Christmas. The Pro is worth the extra few dollars... The tapping of the measure may seem silly to some, but only takes a second, becomes second nature QUICKLY, and the consistency made it WORTH it!