1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM

normally I don't load that many rounds, but I would like to be able to sit down for an hour and load a couple hundred rather than the 60 or so I can punch out now. It was great while I was learning how to reload, and when working up a load in small batches, but I've pretty much gotten my load where I'm happy and now want to put time behind the trigger - not the press. That loading session kind of showed me how much time it was going to take to support a weekly shooting habit. Plus with summer coming on, I'd like to be out more in the sun and load less - yet still be able to crank out some rounds when I feel like it.

For now, I'm loading 45 acp only. I put about 10-20 rounds a year through the rifles. a couple to make sure POI is still reasonably close to POA, and then one to three rounds to drop the target animal, and it goes back into storage till next fall. (I think my original stash of .243 is probably older than I am now.)

I guess one advantage of being new on the scene means I haven't had time to become biased, and from reading posts on the various kinds of systems out there, recently many of them have made great strides in machining, and customer service. Price isn't important. what I but just needs to be worth what I paid for it and I am happy.

The eventual plan of firearm acquisition is in no particular order (subject to budget/whims/availability/current mood lol)

.357 revolver
AR platform/ 22-25 caliber varmint gun
second .30 caliber hunting rifle (waffle back and forth between .308 and good ol '06)

(There MAY be a possible uber fast impule buy of a 9mm or .380 if the wife gets a wild hair to join me more often - in that case cost won't matter, only ease of use/reliability of bang. )

but it looks like one caliber only for the easily forseeable future.

In addition I'm happy with the die set I have for 45 now. Lee carbide sizer, Lee powder thru expander, rcbs seater, rcbs taper crimp - they produce very consistent loads in my Lyman crusher II.

Last edited by anothernewb; 05-01-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
1,000 rds = 1 hour on a Dillon 1050
You need a couple accessories on the 1050 to actually hit that number, but with the standard 1050 and a vibrating primer tube feeder it's pretty easy to get to 800/hr though I actually average about 600. I spend waaaaaaay more time on prep than actually loading. If I load 100 rounds, the process of checking the setup when I plan on zero changes takes longer than loading!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 PM

With a couple accessories 2000 rounds an hour is no problem and yes prep takes longer than loading.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
normally I don't load that many rounds, but I would like to be able to sit down for an hour and load a couple hundred rather than the 60 or so I can punch out now. It was great while I was learning how to reload, and when working up a load in small batches, but I've pretty much gotten my load where I'm happy and now want to put time behind the trigger - not the press. That loading session kind of showed me how much time it was going to take to support a weekly shooting habit. Plus with summer coming on, I'd like to be out more in the sun and load less - yet still be able to crank out some rounds when I feel like it.

For now, I'm loading 45 acp only. I put about 10-20 rounds a year through the rifles. a couple to make sure POI is still reasonably close to POA, and then one to three rounds to drop the target animal, and it goes back into storage till next fall. (I think my original stash of .243 is probably older than I am now.)

I guess one advantage of being new on the scene means I haven't had time to become biased, and from reading posts on the various kinds of systems out there, recently many of them have made great strides in machining, and customer service. Price isn't important. what I but just needs to be worth what I paid for it and I am happy.

The eventual plan of firearm acquisition is in no particular order (subject to budget/whims/availability/current mood lol)

.357 revolver
AR platform/ 22-25 caliber varmint gun
second .30 caliber hunting rifle (waffle back and forth between .308 and good ol '06)

(There MAY be a possible uber fast impule buy of a 9mm or .380 if the wife gets a wild hair to join me more often - in that case cost won't matter, only ease of use/reliability of bang. )

but it looks like one caliber only for the easily forseeable future.

In addition I'm happy with the die set I have for 45 now. Lee carbide sizer, Lee powder thru expander, rcbs seater, rcbs taper crimp - they produce very consistent loads in my Lyman crusher II.
We are very similar. I load .308, .223, .22-250, sometimes 7mm STW, and .45acp.
I mostly shoot .45acp, .308 and .223 in that order. I love my current set up. I have Thumbler for cleaning. So, after a day of shooting, I put the empty cases in the cleaner and then proceed to clean the firearms. Get them all cleaned up and empty the cleaner. With me, I don't much residue on the cases so a couple hours and I am done.
Then I will sit down to the Dillon and within a hour or so, I will inspect all of the cases and load 200 rounds of .45acp.
Next night I will load the .308 on a single stage I still have. Well I have two, one deprime and resize and another for seating then crimp.

I like having the 550 and the couple singles. It works out very well. With that I can load or I would load .223 on the Dillon also. I will always keep the singles for the .308 and .22-250 along with the STW.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM

I have a Dillon 550B with dedicated tool heads for:
9mm
38 super
38 special
40 S&W
45 ACP
30 Carbine

An old Lyman 6 hole turret with dies for 357 Magnum and 30-06 installed.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM

I just bought a Dillon 550 yesterday after tiring myself out loading a bunch of USPSA practice rounds Sunday evening. After I finished I thought to myself, "this is crazy. I'm getting a Dillon."

One day later....presto!

1911 Lefties who don't use ambi safeties - Member #1
Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan King View Post
I just bought a Dillon 550 yesterday after tiring myself out loading a bunch of USPSA practice rounds Sunday evening. After I finished I thought to myself, "this is crazy. I'm getting a Dillon."

One day later....presto!

Good choice! I just spent the last 35 min loading 200 rnds for my wife's .38spl. I had to drive out to the end of the drive way to pick up my daughter from the school bus. Once I get back to my shop I have 800 more rnds to load. The RL550b may not be as fast as a 650, or 1050, but it will spit out some ammo in short order!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
Get a Dillon 550 and hit it.
+1 I especially like how easy it is to change calibers on the 550b.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:57 AM

D550

Although I load all my high volume on my D1050, I still have and use my D550 mainly for it's versatility. When I am working up a new load, or experimenting, or just need some target rounds on calibers where I don't shoot as much volume, I have preset tool heads for:

.380, .223 (uses the same primer size and shell plate, can easily swap out tool heads)

.9mm, .38super, .40 (uses same shell plate & primer, easy to swap tool heads)

.38special/.357 magnum

I have a different progressive (Star machine with Hulme case feeder) for the .45acp, which predates the Dillon equipment. It is dedicated for one load and remains constant.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
woke up Saturday and got a wild hair to load all my available brass. 1,141 rounds later on a single stage press I was out of brass, out of patience, and my arms were starting to get really tired.

Seriously considering a Progressive press now. A few locals use Dillon's but I was wondering what others out there are using and pros/cons that have been discovered.

I own a 550B w case loader.........IMO the best bang for the buck you can buy
400 plus an hour w ease
Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 AM

I'm partial to the Dillon machines running a 550 but there are times I wish I'd stepped up for the 650.

If your volume is low on the .30 hunting rifle that single stage would still be handy...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan King View Post

One day later....presto!

Nice set up. I bought a 550 back in the 80's. They have great customer support. If you ever have a problem, give them a call and they will walk you through it.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 AM

I load .40 and .45 on a 650. I bought a 550 for .38 spl and .223. I'm glad the 550 is for low volume.

I much prefer loading on the 650.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM

After much deliberation and playing with a few presses that local people have set up. I have come to a decision....

and.....

drumroll........

Square deal B is on it's way to me.

Money, space, and a realistic expectation of what I am going to reload in the near future were the deciding factors. I tried both colors and liked them both. With my limited experience - all 3 presses I was able to play with (SDB, Hornady, Dillon 550) seemed equally nice to me. the SDB does everything I want to do now, and it's the most compact for my small (3' bench) working area, while still allowing me enough budget to buy the components to keep me shooting for awhile.

I have however modified my toy budget so that there is being money set aside for either a really good turret setup or a larger progressive once I have a larger caliber to mess with. The daughter expressed a recent interest in making ammo, so, of course, I WILL need 2 presses anyway.... in one year(barring any major issues) I will have enough cash to buy either of the larger progressives and a set of dies straight out.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Congrats on the machine.

In the future you can always...

Buy a Dillon 1050 will all the bells and whistles for the daughter's birthday.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:03 AM

I have a Dillon 550, it is a progressive loader, but not auto advance, which doesn`t bother me as I can still load almost as fast as a auto advance machine can, plus it can be used like a single station loader if you chose to do so. The price was way better than the Dillon 1050 auto model. ( about $400 new on ebay vs $650/ $700). I like the ability to go as fast or as slow as I want, and I feel I have more control of the machine than just cranking on the handle and being a observer of the action. Less moving parts, less to adjust etc. Can`t beat it..
Old 05-10-2012, 02:13 AM

I too just bought a 550, I did the same thing you did and tried them all before making a decision. I don`t regret it one bit, for $400, it was by far the best investment Iv`e made in a long time. . I have been getting better and faster everyday, I really like having some control over the process,,unlike an auto indexing type machine where you just crank the handle and become a spectator. a few times as I was operating, I would see something that didn`t look or feel right, I could stop the action before it was too late, I really like that.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:23 AM

in the short and long runs, it's all good, it's all relative in one way or another, and the right press choice is dependent on the calibers and your daily/weekly/monthly realistic round needs/wants.

with a current 100 round weekly inventory, i have no need for a progressive. and unlike some foks, i really enjoy the hand loading process, crafting very well tailored rounds in precise stages. i use a redding t-7 seven station turret with both .45acp and .38spl on the same head, and without changing more than the auto primer sleeve and cup. life is waaay good.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM

Dillon 550 retail price vs. Dillon 1050

Quote:
The price was way better than the Dillon 1050 auto model. ( about $400 new on ebay vs $650/ $700).
The Dillon 1050 model is roughly $1700.....I think you are comparing the price of the Dillon 650....which is still a great machine....
Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy1 View Post
I have a Dillon 550, it is a progressive loader, but not auto advance, which doesn`t bother me as I can still load almost as fast as a auto advance machine can, plus it can be used like a single station loader if you chose to do so. The price was way better than the Dillon 1050 auto model. ( about $400 new on ebay vs $650/ $700). I like the ability to go as fast or as slow as I want, and I feel I have more control of the machine than just cranking on the handle and being a observer of the action. Less moving parts, less to adjust etc. Can`t beat it..
You always have the ability to go as fast or as slow as you want as long as there is a handle on the press.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM

My opinion is to spring for the Dillon 550 and joint venture with a shooting friend if necessary. You can recoup the cost of the machine at about 5000 rounds compared to factory ammo cost and the price goes down from there.
If you shoot much it certainly is worth it. I've still got an old C-H MK1 that I used to load several hundred thousand rounds and is still waiting for me to dig it out of the ammo can and put it to work. I just don't shoot that much anymore.
Semper Fi
Rocky
Old 05-11-2012, 11:51 AM

I've got a 650 that I bought in 99. It took 8K loaded rounds to pay for it.

I've loaded about 100K on it. Sent it in for an overahaul last winter and they did all the work, replaced a bunch of parts and return shipping for free.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-11-2012, 12:57 PM

My press should be here tomorrow. can't wait! I have no spare brass at the moment, so... I guess I'll have to shoot alot tonite!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
After much deliberation and playing with a few presses that local people have set up. I have come to a decision....

and.....

drumroll........

Money, space, and a realistic expectation of what I am going to reload in the near future were the deciding factors. I tried both colors and liked them both. With my limited experience - all 3 presses I was able to play with (SDB, Hornady, Dillon 550) seemed equally nice to me. the SDB does everything I want to do now, and it's the most compact for my small (3' bench) working area, while still allowing me enough budget to buy the components to keep me shooting for awhile.

I have however modified my toy budget so that there is being money set aside for either a really good turret setup or a larger progressive once I have a larger caliber to mess with. The daughter expressed a recent interest in making ammo, so, of course, I WILL need 2 presses anyway.... in one year(barring any major issues) I will have enough cash to buy either of the larger progressives and a set of dies straight out.
I have two of the SDBs, one in small primer for 380, 38/357, 9mm, 38 Super, and 40 S&W. The other is for 45 ACP and I plan on adding a 45 Colt conversion. I visit my buddy to load 223 on his 550.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
You're going to like it, congratulations!