1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Taurus

Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM

Well...it really doesn't help when Taurus tells you the stainless extractor is out of stock and on backorder (How many of these things are failing?!!). My new Cylinder and Slide Series 80 extractor should be here today or tomorrow. I'll report back on the fit. Honestly, I don't mind tearing down a series 80 slide. All my other 1911's (5) are series 70 so having one series 80 in my collection (with increased tear-down time) doesn't bother me too much.

What I really don't like is the stupid hammer safety. The key-lock system in the top of the hammer is seriously fugly.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
What I really don't like is the stupid hammer safety. The key-lock system in the top of the hammer is seriously fugly.
TRUTH... I didn't realize JUST how awful it really was until I replaced mine:

It's crazy how a hammer can really change how the look of the gun is...lol

-Nigel
Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 PM

I had to replace an extractor in my PT1911 as well. Tried a Wilson extractor, and also tried their FP block plunger/spring.

I ended up just returning the broken extractor to Taurus, and they shipped a new one. I've since ordered 3 spares.

All covered here with pics.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=273522
Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 AM

C&S Extractor Won't Work

I received my 80 Series C&S extractor. Where the series 80 cut-out is for the firing pin block (dumbbell), there is a "tenon" that prevents the firing pin block from falling out. This tenon is shorter and thinner than the tenon on the Taurus extractor. I was concerned that the firing pin block would fall-out during firing which could jam and really harm the gun. The block was really loose. So I can confirm that the series 80 extractor design in the PT1911 is a proprietary design. I will not be using the C&S extractor with the Taurus firing pin block parts.

The C&S extractor is a QUALITY piece compared to the stock Taurus extractor but, I will be returning it to Midway for a refund. If I want to convert the pistol to Series 70 I will just buy a series 70 extractor. See rest of thread below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
Just KEEP calling until they send you an extractor. Parts are lifetime warranty if I remember correctly, no??? Sounds like a typical experience when manufactures don't want to deal with it or you just get the wrong rep. -Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad339 View Post
I ended up just returning the broken extractor to Taurus, and they shipped a new one. I've since ordered 3 spares.
I ended up following your advice. I called and ended up getting a lady rep on the phone who was really reasonable and put a new extractor on back-order for me (free) with the condition that I send the broken one back once I receive the new one. Thanks for telling me to keep after them.

QUESTION:

If I do decide to delete the series 80 parts and use the shim from Brownell's...has anyone that has performed the conversion noticed any wear around the edge of the firing pin block hole in the slide due to the fact that the hammer rides against the edge of the empty hole during firing. In other words is the edge of the hole getting damaged due to the fact that the hammer used to ride on the top edge of the pin (I can see wear on the top of the pin from this)? With just an empty hole there is nothing supporting the hammer at the edge of the hole when the slide moves back across the hammer. Curious...

Last edited by Martensite; 05-04-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 PM

A Caspian arms extractor retains the plunger and is a "drop-in" fit for the PT.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j bird View Post
A Caspian arms extractor retains the plunger and is a "drop-in" fit for the PT.
The Caspian extractor looks exactly like the Cylinder and Slide extractor I just purchased. I can tell from the picture on the link that I have posted below that it won't work. The Caspian may drop in but the firing pin stop will probably drop out.

http://www.caspianarms.com/Merchant2...egory_Code=S18
Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 AM

I think it is hit and miss with a replacement extractor. I know someone else posted that they had a replacement extractor work (do not remember the brand of extractor) while others resorted to doing the series 80 delete. A wilson combat bullet proof did not work for me until I did the series 80 delete. Just be sure the plunger is being retained. It will either fall out our could jam up the gun and cause damage to the gun. If you did not notice it fall out then the series 80 levers could also jam up the gun and cause damage.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 PM

Well...I finally received my Taurus stainless steel replacement extractor today (was on backorder at Taurus). I've got to say this thing is UGLY. The machining is horrible. I spent at least an hour cleaning up the burrs and machining marks on it with a flat needle file and 400 grit SiC paper. I must say, after I was done it looked pretty good. I also checked the fit to the slide. I had to adjust the tension as it was too loose.

One thing I noticed is that the stainless steel "color" of the replacement extractor was slightly "brighter" than the stock extractor. Hopefully they switched alloys which leads to a stronger extractor.

As far as finding out whether the extractor is MIM...Taurus never got back to me on that one.

Now I need to send my cracked extractor to Taurus (promised I would send it to them once I received a new one). Consider this case closed.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 AM

Hello all. I am new to the forum (or any forum for that matter) and in fact this is my first post. Can some one tell me how difficult it would be to change out the hammer/locking mechanism for a novice? What tools would I need, parts, etc. A gentleman above mentioned that he had done it and got me to thinking...
Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
Well...I called Taurus. They will not send me a new extractor because the gun is over a year old. They want me to send the whole pistol in which I'm not going to do. They wanted to charge me $16 for a new extractor if I absolutely have to have one and don't want to send the pistol in.

In addition, I asked the rep (Louis) whether the PT1911 stainless extractor is MIM or cast. He put me on hold to ask someone else. He came back on the line and stated they were 99% sure that it was MIM. I stated that I would prefer that he be 100% sure. He said he would double check for me by emailing the factory rep in Brazil (which is where the extractors are made) and get a definitive answer for me. He told me he would call me back after the email was answered and let me know. I asked if he would email me their response and he stated that their email was for internal use only. So...he took my phone number and stated he would call once he received an answer. He was very polite over the phone.

If Taurus contacts me back and informs me that the extractor is MIM...I'm afraid I'm going to have to believe the Manufacturer. Quite honestly, the extractor looks like a MIM part that was molded with excess and then machined. Or, their MIM molds were made off of a machined extractor.
The problem with this theory of credibility is the phone rep is not the manufacturer, he only represents same. Whatever he tells you will not be based on direct and personal knowledge but hearsay. He is going to read what someone sends him in an e mail and regurgitate that to the best of his ability. Kind of like Internet myths isn't it.

The stories of what folks have been told on the phone by those folks are out of this world hilarious. Just read around. You have been told the extractor in your picture is not mim by someone that has the ability to look at a part and know. Did you send the pic to Taurus?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 PM

My 2 cents on the extractor and plunger issue:
I tried the Caspian extractor and it seemed to be retaining the plunger well, until it and the spring fell out of the pistol in the middle of an IDPA match. I went back to the Taurus extractor. Next the dumbell plunger spring broke. The new ones I ordered from Taurus were of a heavier gauge and added at least 2 lbs. to the trigger pull. Not good, so I bought a Colt plunger and spring. The plunger was too large for the hole so I chucked it in a drill press and turned it down to the right diameter. The plunger was also a little too long so I shortened the end recessed for the spring. It now has the same amount of travel as the factory parts did. On top of that I added an Ed Brown Hardcore extractor and it seems to be retaining the plunger so far after at least 1000 rounds. Keep in mind that this worked in my pistol ( PT1911SS) but no guarantees in anyone else's.

Bob
Old 09-01-2012, 11:33 PM

Swagger,
I bet ky has some willing and able gunsmiths.
Be aware, changing your hammer could necessitate changing multiple other parts, all precisely tuned to insure your gun is safe to shoot.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:36 PM

from what i have found, it depends on when your pt 1911 was manufactured. the earlier models the aftermarket extractors would not retain the plunger, but in the newer models the C & S and the Wilson Combat extractors have worked. probably others would to.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:59 PM

I only use my gun for bowling pin shoots but i left my "series 80" parts out of the slide and have had no known ill effects
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM

Chalk up another extractor failure. I had mine refitted with an Ed Brown 80 series extractor. So far no more issues. Nice pistol.