1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Competitive Shooting

Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 AM

S&W MP9 Pro Series

After a lot of diligent searching, I finally found a S&W MP9 Pro Series gun at a gun dealer about a two hour drive from my home. Since these guns are hard to find, I made the boring drive and purchased the gun, which comes with two mags, and bought another 17 round mag. An added bonus was this Pro Series gun is two toned, and has a stainless steel slide. It has a FO front sight, and a fixed rear sight which is adjustable for windage. The Pro Series has an upgraded trigger, and the one I bought is pretty good right out of the box. I am not sure I need an Apex trigger upgrade right now.

Does anyone know if there are adj. rear sights to fit the S&W MP-9? I prefer adjustable sights, since you are limited to the options of filing a front sight with a FO tube. I haven't fired the new gun, so I don't know the POA vs. POI.

I am also looking to get a good Kydex holster to be able to shoot IDPA in the SSP div., and USPSA in the Production div. Is there any "best choice" or is a Comp Tac or a Blade about equal for competitive action shooting?

Last but not least, does anyone know a good 9mm load for the S&W barrel? I know a lot of my shooting buddies/friends like to use the 147 gr. FMJ bullet with Tite Group.
I really haven't tried the heavier 147's, and currently use 125 grain cast and JHP bullets for my STI Eagle 9mm for IDPA. I practice with cast bullets and shoot the matches with JHP's, which seem to be more accurate. I will be shooting my S&W at 25 yds today with my current loads, to see what kind of accuracy I can get with my reloads. Does anyone know what the average accuracy is for a Pro Series gun? Is it the same as all MP-9 pistols, and if so, what is the average group size I should expect from a rest at 25 yds.? I am hoping my loads will shoot at least two inch groups at 25 yds from a rest, but I don't know the mechancial accuracy of the MP-9.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Last edited by richpetrone; 04-25-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 AM

call Brownells?

Maybe their techs have some adjustable sight suggestions.

For ammo suggest testing some Penn Bullets 125g LRN over Silhouette / HS6 / WAP / AA5 / 3N37 / Power Pistol (about 5.0g start).
The M&Ps I've been 'around' seem to offer good accuracy.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 AM
More Cowbell...

In my Pro... I prefer the 124s.

124 Montana Gold JHP. 4.0 gns TG. 1.135 OAL. Misc brass, Federal Primer.

For the 147s.

147 MG. 3.4 gns TG. 1.135 OAL. Misc brass, Federal Primer.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 AM

When I had the M&P Pro, I used the Talon Tactical A10. Very fast, IDPA legal, very secure, reasonably priced and quick shipping. The owner/maker Mike Benedict is a member here and one of the first four gun IDPA master, so he knows a thing or two about making fast holsters.

www.talontactical.com

Old 04-25-2012, 09:26 AM

Responses

Wanted to say "Thanks" to WeShoot2, Tom, and Ricky T.....good info!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Dawson makes an adjustable rear for them.

I used 147 and 160 grain bullets in mine. They shot softer than the lighter bullets.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:26 PM

Those are nice competition guns. My buddy has one. Unfortunately it had serious reliability issues out of the box, and required a trip to S&W. They worked on the ramp, and did some other fixes. It's nearly fixed, but still has the occasional FTE and FTF.
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 PM

Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac are the two most-common high quality holsters seen IDPA.

The Comp-Tac is more rugged, since the belt loop is part of the same piece of kydex as the inner side of the holster. On the other hand, the Blade-Tech allows you to change out the belt loop back piece. This gives you the opportunity to run a regular Stingray or TekLok belt loop for IDPA or an Drop-and-Offset for USPSA.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:02 AM

S&W MP9 Pro

I went to the range yesterday and tested the gun. The gun functioned fine, and I did not have any jams, across several different reloads I had on hand.
The accuracy was mediocre, shooting about 4" groups at 25 yds. rested with my reloads. I was using 124 gr JHP's and 125 gr cast bullets, and as far as elevation, they shot about inch higher than POA at 25 yds which is fine.. I used the loads I developed for my STI Eagle w/ Kart barrel, which shoot two inch groups at 25 yds.

I hope to get the accuracy down to at least 3" or better at 25 yds. by trying different loads. Tom Freeman had suggested Titegroup powder with a 124 gr. JHP, so I will be making up so new loads and trying them soon.

I ordered a Comp Tac holster, mainly because Blade Tech had a 5-6 wk wait, so add another week for shipping, and it could have been 7 weeks. The Comp Tac with shipping should be here in 10 days.

I may order some 147 grain bullets as well....
Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM

S&W MP9 Pro Series 9mm accuracy update

I took Tom Freeman's suggestion, of 4.0 gr of Titegroups with a 124 gr. JHP, and tested this for accuracy today, along with several other different powder and bullet combinations. I have to thank Tom for his help, since this load shot a 2 inch 5 shot group at 25 yds. I then tested another 5 shot group of the same load which shot a 1.75 inch group. This was using mixed brass, (who knows how many time it was fired) so this was pretty good accuracy. A two inch or better group at 25 yds. is more than adequate for IDPA shooting.

I like the S&W pistol, but the long trigger take up is causing me to heel shots just a bit. This is a training issue, so it may take a while to get completely adjusted to the trigger, which is quite a bit different than my STI 2011 with a crisp/clean 3lb. break. I am wondering if the Apex trigger kit will reduce the take up even more....? The trigger doesn't have a bad feel, just a roll on the take up, then pressure, with about a 3lb. break. I was told the Pro series MP-9 has a better trigger already, and I must admit, it isn't too bad.

Once the new holster arrives, I will start some serious training. The gun will take some getting use to, since it feels pretty light and seems to exhibit a bit more muzzle rise than my STI 9mm Eagle. Maybe the 1911 slide has more weight near the muzzle than the S&W MP-9.....it will just take some training.

Last edited by richpetrone; 04-26-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Banned

IIRC, I ran a Safari duty holster with mine, for congruancy. Check the boys at the 10-8 site, as there is an article there by Hilton about his favorite mods for comp. work.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 PM

I bought a Pro several years ago just for IDPA. It was a good shooting gun, but I was plagued by light primer strikes, with both reloads and factory ammo. Of course, they only happened during a match, never in practice. I used a Comp Tac belt holster that worked out really well. I would have to dig out my old log to see what loads were most accurate, but I do remember Titegroup, Montana Gold, and Zero were good. I used every primer available and changed the firing pin, but still kept having the problem, so I sold it.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 PM

I bet the striker safety timing was off.

Mine didn't like to eject empty cases all the time, causing nasty double feed death james. Usually at matches, but not regular matches, state matches.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpetrone View Post
I took Tom Freeman's suggestion, of 4.0 gr of Titegroups with a 124 gr. JHP, and tested this for accuracy today, along with several other different powder and bullet combinations. I have to thank Tom for his help, since this load shot a 2 inch 5 shot group at 25 yds.
Glad it worked out for you.

Think of me as your big toe.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
I bet the striker safety timing was off.

Mine didn't like to eject empty cases all the time, causing nasty double feed death james. Usually at matches, but not regular matches, state matches.
Oh, that's not good at all.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM

Here's mine:

Scott Green worked over the trigger. Basically he just did a Dan Burwell trigger job on it. It's worlds beyond the Pro trigger.

I would recommend stippling/grip tape for the grip. My buddy and I with the same gun put ourselves on the timer with and without stippling. We actually both noticed a slightly better time with stippling.

The stock FO front sight is trash for me. I don't like green as much as I thought I did. It's too wide anyways. If I was still shooting in production division I would order a Dawson Precision red .105 width front sight, and keep the rear. However since you like adjustable sights...Look into replacing them with Dawson's adjustable rear, and thinner front sight.

It might be different for you, but for me...The thinner the front sight, the faster I am getting a good sight picture.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 PM

I have a M&P9 Pro with Dawson F/O front and serrated adjustable rear.

This is a junk picture that I tossed on my regional forum to show the DIY grip tape but you can kinda get a idea of the sights. I'll take some better pictures tonight of the front and rear for you.

Dawson makes quality stuff, the rear is really nice but it comes at a price compared to the other adjustables out there. My only issue is with the front sight and it being really tall, it's like .305. I run a leather lined kydex holster and a fair amount of the time I'll snag a bit of leather on the draw. I've tried remove the leather where I think it catches on, but I still get little bits. It turns out for me the other con is the small fiber rod size. This is a plus for many, but I do the majority of my practice in a indoor range which isn't super well lit. Outdoors I have no problem, but I shoot 90% indoors.

I'm probably going to change my Dawson front to a Hi-Viz fiber front since they have thicker fiber rods but their build quality is noticeably lower than Dawson. Can't find anything else that fits my need...

Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 AM

Fiber optic sight

NorCal Einstein: I have the standard fiber optic sight on my S&W MP-9 Pro, and the 9mm reload I am using is fine for fixed sight elevation, but I had to slightly adjust the windage. The trigger pull weight is fine as well, and is supposed to be an upgrade from the standard MP-9. I will have to get use to the long, rolling pull.

If you are handy, and have a drill press, you could buy the color and width of the Hi-Viz light tubes of your choice, which are very inexpensive. Whatever diameter light tube/pipe you choose, use a drill bit slightly undersize, and drill out your sight for a new width pipe tube. The narrower existing hole will help to keep the drill aligned, so it will be more like reaming a larger hole.

The pipe tubes are held in place by using heat to swell the ends. I have never tried this, but I read you can swell one end of the light tube using the heat of a cigarette lighter, just so the end starts to enlarge before melting. Insert the small end through the front hole of the sight (the one closer to the ejection port) so the swelled end is snug against the sight blade. Cut off the rear of the pipe tube and leave enough so you can heat the end to swell to make a snug fit. If you had plans to buy a new sight anyway, you may want try this inexpensive solution, and if it doesn't work out, you are going to buy a new sight anyway. Purchase the same diameter light tube you would use if you were to purchase a new sight....if you do decide to buy a new sight after trying the first method, you will have extra light tubes to fit your new sight.

As far as using a leather holster that rubs or grabs the front sight, I use Kydex style holsters that have a track inside to allow clearance for the sight blade. I like leather holsters, but Kydex is faster for my puposes.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 AM

I would suggest the apex hard sear. It will remove almost all takeup and lighten the pull significantly. Its a 40$ drop in part.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 PM

Another APEX part to consider is the USB (ultimate striker block) plunger. It's prepped by Apex to have rounded edge and corners to improve the trigger release. The USB + hard sear + RAM (allow more positive reset) will significantly improve your trigger/action over the factory PRO trigger.

Last edited by Ricky T; 05-02-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla88 View Post
I would suggest the apex hard sear. It will remove almost all takeup and lighten the pull significantly. Its a 40$ drop in part.
If you follow the Burwell trigger job ppt this is very easy to replicate with simple files and a stone. Saves you 40 bucks if you already have these tools.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 AM

The drop in sears definitely do not eliminate take up in an M&P. They actually create more.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
The drop in sears definitely do not eliminate take up in an M&P. They actually create more.
I think he was referring to creep. Take up can be reduced via the new APEX external trigger but then you will be bumped to ESP if you shoot IDPA.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 AM

Yep.

There's tons of pretravel in a M&P with just an Apex sear, but it is very light during the pretravel phase and then breaks cleanly.

The Apex forward set sear and trigger is awesome. I had one for a while and it was excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkJs70WudlM
Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 AM

M&P-9 Pro Series

I was able to have a side by side comparison of several M&P-9 guns used by freinds while at an IDPA match yesterday. All had either the Apex sear, and several had the complete Apex kit. I would pick up their gun, dry fire several times, then try my new gun. Even with a slightly shorter take up, the difference is subtle to me. One of my master class buddies has the Pro model, and he said he shot it using the stock trigger "as is" for quite a while, then only replaced the APEX sear.

I think I will try shooting it as is for a while, and perhaps modify the trigger later if I feel it is a handicap.

I know that when I move to a different trigger style and gun platform, it will take some practice to get comfortable. No matter how I tried with the Glock platform, I always had a tendency to shoot high on the target...fortunately, I am not doing this with the MP-9, and think the grip angle is more like the 1911.