1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siscowet985 View Post
Fit and finish are excellent on both. Yes the Eagle has adjustable Bomar type sights. I just got back into 1911's after 30 years away, and found the Iver Johnson's to be what I think is one of the best values. It is my understanding that they are hand fitted at SAM in the Phillipines. Will give a fuller report later in the week.
Yeah, they're SAM products, had a friend with an SAM Elite and that was nifty gun. Hard to find, had a raised flat on the top of the slide and it was just a murky blue, looked black and hard and handled wonderfully. ATI also imports SAM firearms as well know, I think Century still imports the straight up SAM models but I cannot vouch for that. A place up this way called Fleet Farm sells some Century imports like the Arcus 98 and 98C and some of their AKs so I figure I'll ask them if they still import.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM

I actually own the Iver Johnson 5 inch barrel. Picked it up for 399 on sale 3 days ago and have taken it to the local range here and I loved it! Nice kick and not too bad handling. A lot of people Just sat and watched. Very impressive.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM

Just got back from the range. Thrasher is accurate, but not as accurate as the Eagle. Shooting 230 Gr Federal Round Ball. It would hold a 4 inch group at 20 yards. Needs new sights however, they shoot high and to the right, Substantially. Am going to look for adjustable Novak sights. Kick is not all that much more then the Eagle. Shot the Eagle again today. What can I say, that gun is just great to shoot. I am impressed with these pistols. By the way Mills Fleet Farm is great. It's the store Sears Roebuck was 50 years ago. I am not that far away from you Kodadek.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Just got back from the range. Thrasher is accurate, but not as accurate as the Eagle. Shooting 230 Gr Federal Round Ball. It would hold a 4 inch group at 20 yards. Needs new sights however, they shoot high and to the right, Substantially. Am going to look for adjustable Novak sights. Kick is not all that much more then the Eagle. Shot the Eagle again today. What can I say, that gun is just great to shoot. I am impressed with these pistols. By the way Mills Fleet Farm is great. It's the store Sears Roebuck was 50 years ago. I am not that far away from you Kodadek.
Yeah, Mills is great, the Man's Mall as I call it. Anything from guns to light fixtures, bags of nuts, old fashioned candy, I get my Carhartt's there, feed, my dad buys a lot of filters for his Ford 8N right from that locale. I hate shopping but I can spend a day or two in Fleet. Dad used to buy my Ertel farm stuff there as well. Now that they carry handguns I vist even more and I buy their WPA 7.62x39 steel cased ammo for an SKS my dad owns from time to time. 4.89 per box. Plus all the AR-15 goodies really makes it worth the trip. Still like L&M and a few other Fleet Supplies but I have real fond memories of Fleet Farm...wonder if I ever got hitched if I could have my wedding there?

Where'd you pick up your Iver Johnsons? Online? Or is there actually a dealer I somehow missed?

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Thrasher # 00012 I now have Thrasher #00014. Thanks all of you for your posts I read them before ordering it. Haven't taken it out to the range but I love the look. Bought an Iver Johnson Eagle two months ago, and it shot a 2 inch group at 20 yards with 230 gr generic ball ammo. One reason I looked at the Thrasher when looking for a CC weapon. Will be happy if the 3 inch barrel comes close to that. Will give a full report after I hit the range this week.
I was sweetly surprised at the low SN (#00012), but since the world is supposed to end on 12/21/12 I wonder if my SN is some sort of omen? I too was in love with the looks and the fit and finish is excellent, I'll be attending my CCW class tomorrow so I'll get a chance to put a 100 rounds or so through with three different magazines. I checked them for cycling (load/eject) and all three work flawlessly, but beware; GI 7rd mags don't want to work as they refuse to feed and jam the slide open so you have to pull back on the slide several times before they will go in the chamber. I have an ACT-MAG in both 7 & 8rd versions and a Kimber 7rd and they function perfectly.

I hope you enjoy your #14, I'm looking forward to shooting mine!

Best regards...
Rich
Old 04-28-2012, 07:47 PM

Well I just got home from the range and after putting 100 rounds through my Thrasher I am very happy with its performance. Even though it is a compact 1911 with a 3" barrel I found the recoil to be no more than my RIA1911A1 with 230Gr FMJ, very managable. How ever GI magazines do not feed properly while my 2 ACT-MAG's and the Kimber compact mag I bought worked perfectly in the gun so it's kind of picky as to how you feed it. I would have no problems recomending it as a great entry level carry gun that you can rely on. Since this was part of my CCW class I was with about 8 other shooters, I was the only one there with a 1911 .45cal pistol. Every body else was shooting 9mm's, I'm not knocking the 9mm but I firmly believe in "Go big or go home!"

Best regards,

Rich
Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM

Just my .02 cents. I have an Iver Johnson Hawk and couldn't be happier with it. It's extremely accurate and with 400 rounds of Winchester FMJ, I've had zero failures. I carry this gun daily with no issues. I traded my Springfield Mil-Spec in on it and honestly haven't regretted it. For me at least, it fits my hand and is a lot more comfortable to shoot than the Springfield......Mike....
Old 04-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Had the sight drifted over today by a gunsmith. At 25 yards off a rest it is right on with 230 gr FMJ. Mine did not have the Novak style sights like in the Iver Johnsons website picture. Also mine was completely brushed stainless, instead of a mix of brushed and polished like their website shows. I like this better. Kodadek, I just had my gun store order it from their wholesaler who had it in stock. Switched to smooth rosewood grips on my Eagle. Just my preference, for full size 1911's I like smooth grips. Looks very classic now, still tack driver accurate. Now I got to get some bargains on 45 ACP ammo, gave up reloading 12 years ago.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 PM

By the way CDNN has 7 rd ACT MAGs for 17.44 each. Same as it came with. Also picked up a DeSanti Viper CC paddle holster for it. Ordered the one for the Colt Officer. A tight fit, but it is starting to loosen up.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 AM

After reading the ATI Titan thread, it will be interesting to see if any recoil spring rod issues develop as the thrasher and Titan are very similar and both made by SAM. Hope not
Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
After reading the ATI Titan thread, it will be interesting to see if any recoil spring rod issues develop as the thrasher and Titan are very similar and both made by SAM. Hope not
Speak of the devil. I've had a couple of issues with the recoil assembly in my Thrasher. The first was after around 400 rounds. The philips screw that holds it together just broke while I was firing the pistol. Thank God it happened on the last round. The shop I bought the pistol from quickly got the part replaced (the philips screw) and I was back to shooting again. About 250 rounds later that same screw had beat up against the junction where the barrel link meets the barrel so bad that the barrel link was no longer able to swivel. Once again locking up the slide rendering the pistol useless. My gun shop actually replaced the entire pistol after seeing what had happened. Having that screw on the recoil assembly like that was really a horrible design flaw. I replaced it with a Kimber recoil assembly. It ran great with absolutely no damage to the barrel or barrel link but it too broke after a few 100 rounds.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:22 PM

Glad you guys are having better luck with yours than I did with mine. Had multiple issues with the Thrasher I bought and it spent more time in the shop than in my possession. Lost all faith in the weapon after the last failure on the range and knew I would not ever carry it; so I returned it and got a S&W.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 PM

I have the ATI version. I used the Kimber recoil assembly with the re-worked reverse plug. I had more issues with the reverse plug than the recoil assembly. But the stock recoil spring was quite weak. Several feed failures until it was replaced. Seems like every spring in this thing was a weakling. I've replaced just about everything save the sear spring. But now it runs fine.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
They're nearly identical in the pictures. Someone should go out and buy both and do a side by side comparison....

Not it!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I am not a fan of compact 1911s. I keep noticing that no matter the maker it seems like shorty models have the largest number of issues though some people swear by them. If I was going to get a compact auto that was reliable I would go outside the 1911 family (I apologize outright for being a heretic) though once again some folks seem to like/love them and report awesome reliability.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:25 PM

I bought the Thrasher as a specific purpose weapon. Something smaller for CCW carry when my Sig or Eagle are just too big. As such now that I have gotten used to it, I doubt that I will continue to use it for routine shooting. I agree with Kodadek in that I doubt the three inch 1911's have the stamina to last, especially with full power loads. In handling its not that different from the Eagle, so that will be my preferred range gun. Like I said, a couple boxes a year through the Thrasher is probably all I will do from now on. Just enough to stay proficient if I need it.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:34 PM

Are by chance the newer Thrashers holding up recoil spring assembly wise better now- also where can you get the replacement OEM from? Thanks
Old 07-27-2013, 11:51 AM

I have done extensive searches here (and elsewhere) seems some say the Kimber is best , others the colts but finding the recoil spring assembly for the I J seems to be a mystery?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 PM

I recently bought an ATI Titan-LW

I can see where the little recoil springs can cause issue with short life..however the rest of the guide-rod system and bushing seem robust enough.

Mine has an Allan-head screw that has stayed put through almost 400 shots now...the bushing is steel(have these been made of aluminum previously?)

So what craps-out with the SAM recoil system??
All I know is I've heard the springs are weak...and I saw a utube video of a guy who's guide-rod system had 'stuck' together and was sticking out the front. That was a Titan I think..and he was griping about needing something better for a gun(I was thinking maybe he needed to clean/grease it! These small 1911 pistols generate a lot of combustion-smut)
Old 07-29-2013, 02:20 PM

I'm not really sure; also I've no idea how many rounds the dual recoil system/springs are good for. For a carry gun we need replacements IMO "just to be sure" for the IJ Thrasher - seems it is upgraded from the TITAN from what I can find out - but no clue where to get replacements etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
I recently bought an ATI Titan-LW

I can see where the little recoil springs can cause issue with short life..however the rest of the guide-rod system and bushing seem robust enough.

Mine has an Allan-head screw that has stayed put through almost 400 shots now...the bushing is steel(have these been made of aluminum previously?)

So what craps-out with the SAM recoil system??
All I know is I've heard the springs are weak...and I saw a utube video of a guy who's guide-rod system had 'stuck' together and was sticking out the front. That was a Titan I think..and he was griping about needing something better for a gun(I was thinking maybe he needed to clean/grease it! These small 1911 pistols generate a lot of combustion-smut)
Old 08-01-2013, 11:37 AM

For anyone else interested talked to IJ gunsmith today, sending one out, says they have re-designed the recoil spring assembly and now have customers getting 4,000 rounds and recoil spring assembly still running strong. They are sending one out so you CAN it seems get them direct from I- J -$30 + shipping
Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 PM

"Thrasher" recent buy.

I'm hoping my Thrasher #E000125 has the most recent "recoil spring" assembly (bought it 4 months ago, but who knows how long it sat in the store). Because I'm a retired machinist / machine repair, I'm cursed with the mania of taking apart anything mechanical, to see what makes it "tick." In the case of my Thrasher, the years in the shop paid off. It had three issues that I easily smithed. #1. "Defense round" hollow points would jam, so I polished the frame "feed" ramp and ground and polished the barrels feed ramp. Most 1911 assembly / maintenance manuals show you how, it's called "Wad-Cutter" Modifications (but don't attempt without shop experience) #2. The "Phillips" screw on the small recoil spring wasn't tight enough and it would start to walk out (you can detect this as the guide rod would start to protrude past the bushing at the front of the gun after firing several rounds), I mega tightened it (if you don't catch this, it'll break off inside and/or damage the barrel link) #3. The slide stop pin "lug" that makes contact with the magazine follower, protruded too far into the magazine void, allowing ascending rounds to bump it up and prematurely lock the slide open giving a false "jam" impression, so I ground it to spec. (I had another 1911 to use for size). The "end game", it operates like a hot knife through butter, it's my favorite carry. This post is not to brag on my skills, but to let others know what the Thrasher might need to be a top notch shooter and any smith could "tweak" a Thrasher out for you, if you know what to ask for.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgie View Post
I'm hoping my Thrasher #E000125 has the most recent "recoil spring" assembly (bought it 4 months ago, but who knows how long it sat in the store).
I have Thrasher 00124. Are you sure that your first two digits aren't "EP" instead of "E0". Post up a pic of your recoil assembly.

PROBLEMS I'VE HAD:

1.) I replaced the firing pin stop in mine as it came up short to the bottom of the slide. As a result, the sharp step between the firing pin stop bottom and the slide chewed up the hammer. It is interesting to note that the firing pin stop that IJ put in the gun was cut for a Series 80 pistol. This is a Series 70 pistol so I replaced the FP stop with a Series 70 stop.

2.) Due to the soft MIM steel of the hammer face, I replaced it too...it was a MIM piece of junk anyway.

3.) I also didn't like the design of the extractor and the fact that it was too tight (flung brass at my head). I replaced it with an Ed Brown unit.

4.) Lastly, my slide stop pin was bowed (also junk MIM). Replaced it.

So my Thrasher now has the following replacement parts:

1. Wilson Combat "Bullet Proof" firing pin stop
2. Ed Brown Match Grade "Hardcore" hammer
3. Ed Brown "Hardcore" extractor
4. Ed Brown "Hardcore" slide stop

Last edited by Martensite; 08-23-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:23 PM

I have Thresher 00224. First trip to the range a week ago went very well. Was very happy with the grouping, one large seven round hole at 20 ft.
Had one of the smiths at the shop clean up the ramp a little.
14 rounds into test firing, the recoil spring screw sheared at the base of the head. Total rd ct on gun about 200 at that point.

Called the iver Johnson number and someone called me back 15 minutes later. New recoil assembly in the mail same day, supposedly.

Like the gun and hope this is the last time this happens.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:30 PM

sorry to bring this one up again fellas.... but

I really want to like this little pistol and other than the recoil spring being a real issue, It seems like a great little pistol... I was told by chad holwerda of iver Johnson that any pistol with a serial number greater than 100 should have the new recoil assembly which since main the change on that they hae not gotten any more broken springs and are getting a couple thousand rounds on the recoil setup.

my biggest reason for wanting it is the stainless constuction of not only the slide but receiver as well...this practice is becoming very hard to find anymore even in high dollar pistols..to my knowledge in the kimber lineup only the eclipse pro and ultra are full stainless construction..

I have no use of my left arm so I absolutely have to have the extra weight that a stainless/steel receiver gives to controlling the pistol and follow up shots. the upside to the kimber ultra instead of the thrasher is the full length guide rod . the thrasher is of course almost 400.00 cheaper.