1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 PM

Kobra Carry/SF Carry

Will be pulling the trigger on one of these models but had a couple of questions first.

1. Is a single-sided safety standard on both? I have heard that the Kobra Carry comes with a ambi-safety as standard.

2. Is the GenIII finish a standard finish on the Kobra carry (besides stainless), or is it blued.

3. Okay, one more question. What are your general impressions of both and our they worth that much more than a VBOB (which I have).
Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 PM

1. Single side "tactical" (ie. narrow) safety is standard on both the Kobra and Special Forces, wheither the carry or standard model. Ambi safeties are an option on either.

2. There is no price difference on a new Ed Brown for the different finishes. The options are: Carbon steel with blued finish; Carbon Steel with Gen III coating; Stainless steel in the white; Stainless steel with Gen III coating.

3. The differences in the Ed Brown models are cosmetic. With the carry models, the standard is the bob tail grip. The difference between the stock Kobra and the SF carry models is the snake skin treatment on the front grip and mainsping housing, and for the rear cocking serrations on the Kobra. The Special forces has the chainlink pattern on the front grip and mainspring housing, and standard rear cocking serrations.

Whether snakeskin, chainlink or checkered (Executive Carry) is a matter of preference. Dan Wesson makes a fine 1911, but the Ed Browns are nicer in fit and finish. Whether it is worth the difference in price really depends upon how much one is able and willing to spend for incremental improvements.

Tim

Last edited by Houser; 04-30-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM

That pretty much sums it all up for me as well.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 AM

Sell the DW and the answer to "is it worth it?" can't be anything but "hell yes".
-Alchemy Custom Target-
Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM

I have both a KC and a SFC, though with many options on each. I also "still" have a Dan Wesson Classic in my safe. You won't notice much difference in looks and feel just by holding each pistol. You will notice a difference with the Ed Brown's verses the Dan Wesson's when shooting them. I found it worth the extra money.

1968, 69, 70
Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Nice pics Jim.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:16 PM

3. Take a look here. Post #77.

Your DW V-Bob is one of the best value 1911.
IMHO if you really want to see a (bigger) difference go for Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom.

But as Houser wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houser View Post
Whether it is worth the difference in price really depends upon how much one is able and willing to spend for incremental improvements.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 PM

I have a Wilson CQBC also. I like the Ed Brown's more then the Wilson. But the Wilson is a compact with a bit shorter grip. And you notice it when shooting.

The Dan Wesson used to be a lot less then a Brown or Wilson. But they are now over 2 grand. For the extra 5 or 6 hundred I would get the Brown or Wilson over the Wesson. All is personal choice. The money difference is only about 1000 rounds of ammo. If you plan on keeping it a number of years I don't think the extra cost is an important factor.

1968, 69, 70
Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Will be pulling the trigger on one of these models but had a couple of questions first.

1. Is a single-sided safety standard on both? I have heard that the Kobra Carry comes with a ambi-safety as standard.

2. Is the GenIII finish a standard finish on the Kobra carry (besides stainless), or is it blued.

3. Okay, one more question. What are your general impressions of both and our they worth that much more than a VBOB (which I have).

All I can say is that i have had three bob tails, one Wilson and two Ed Browns. Trying to give some feedback based on six years of shooting bobs; after putting 13,000 rounds through them, I found all three to be extraordinarily reliable and accurate. Great guns. Great companies. i think that this is a fine performance considering Commander/4 inch guns are more finicky than Governments.

I cannot compare these three to any Dan Wesson pistol as the only DW I ever owned was the old four pack revolver of twenty years ago. That old revolver was one of the finest firearms I ever shot and only $280 in 1982. I think Dan Wesson was the owner back then too. Different times.

Have fun deciding which way to go!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM

I think that it comes down to having a pretty good idea of what you like and why you like it when it comes to in anyway justifying a couple of thousand dollars or more for a custom or even semi-custom handgun, and as good as the information is on these forums it cannot replace experience when picking what is right for you.

I could make a long list of why I bought an Ed Brown Executive Carry in stainless with Gen III coating for the particular purpose to which I was going to use it, instead of a different Ed Brown or a different brand from say Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer or even full custom.

Now, if I was putting together a new 1911 today it might have different features or even be a different brand, or custom, depending upon what I was wanting to use it for.

One brand, one size, one style, one price, one whatever, does not suit everyone or every purpose, and noone pays me to sell their product. Having said that, the last time I bought a new 1911, mostly from my own experience and preferences I thought highly enough about the overall product that Ed Brown was my choice for that long list of reasons I won't argue here, and I have not regretted that decision.

My immediate "next" 1911 purchase? Well although I "need" it like something else to do, there's this pretty little mint pre-80 series Colt Combat Commander with nicely polished blue flats and factory walnut grips with Colt medallions which recently presented me an opportunity from an old collector's safe. Will it shoot like my ergonomically advanced Ed Brown with its 10-8 rear and Novak gold bead front sights, or look as pretty as grips from Sarge or Esmeralda? Well I really doubt that there will be much apples to apples comparison there should I get around to shooting it, but those old Colts in that condition I don't find everyday and it is just something I want for my own reasons, so that's how I decided it was worth what it costs for me.

Tim
Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
IMHO if you really want to see a (bigger) difference go for Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom.

I love my new SF. Helluva gun. I love my Nighthawk (Enforcer). The Brown has turned out to be more gun for the money for me. Wesson makes a fine gun, but it's worth the extra couple hundred bucks for a Brown. For what it's worth, I wish I had started with a Brown first like I had originally intended.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 AM

I had a VBOB but traded it. Nice gun, but I wanted to upgrade. I have a Talon ll from Nighthawk and a Kobra Carry. Both are more impressive than the VBOB. Between the two of those, I like the KC at least as well as the Talon ll.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM

All models of Ed Browns come standard with single sided safety, the only guns that have a standard ambi safety are the California (CAL2) approved guns.

There is NO standard finish on a KC or SFC, both are available in any combination of SS or carbon steel with or without G3, for same price, though truth be told you probably see more of them in SS with Gen 3 followed by plain SS, this is just based on sales.

The DW VBob is a fine gun and they have really stepped up their game. I Brown worth the extra money? There is no right answer here, some will see it differently. One thing Brown brings to the table is choice, you can build the gun you want, not what it simply offered as a 'standard' model.

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM

Thank you all for your replies.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 AM

If you can get a V-Bob for about 700 cheaper then the EB, go DW. If DW prices go up to around 400 or 500 cheaper then its getting to that point of just getting the EB. But hell, these are 1911s, you cant have just one, just buy one and get the other one down the road. Don't just pick one, and that it, this is America, eventually get both of them.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:16 PM

Lucky for me, my LGS had both a Government size DW Valor and EB SF today so I could do a side by side comparison. I wish he had the VBOB and SF Carry, but this comparison will have to do.

I'm not sure if/when DW will/has started using their own bar stock or still using some of EB parts. At first glance, I could see the smoothness of the EB. I'm not sure if they knock/round off most of the edges, but compared to the Valor in looks and feel it just felt smoother with no sharp edges.

The slide to frame fit definitely goes to EB, as well as the barrel/bushing. Racking of the slide was like night and day. The EB beavertail seemed to be fitted much better than on the DW. I could feel the burrs on the edges between the frame/beavertail on the DW.

The trigger also goes to EB. While the DW trigger was very light the EB was very smooth and crisp. My VBOB is around 3.5 and this Valor seemed to be the same. The EB maybe 4 or 4.5.

Other small parts also goes to EB. They just seemed to be smoother or rounded a little better, but I am not saying they are better. I give the sight advantage to this particular Valor.

The EB was priced 1k higher than the DW. Is it worth it? I'm still pondering.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 PM

The question isn't if the cost difference is worth it, but is it worth it to YOU!
1968, 69, 70
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post
The question isn't if the cost difference is worth it, but is it worth it to YOU!
Story of my second Wife.... in a good way..

what Jim said is very true about so many things in life
Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Carry 'em both

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0338.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	81338 Been known to carry both/with extra magazines....Galco leather/belts and holsters...They shoot the same to me ( I lean toward the SpeciaL Forces with GenIII when I qualify yearly,quicker site acquisition ( at least for me.) Both are shot on a weekly basis round count on each past 5000/stopped counting. Either one will get 'er done! Good luck!