1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Nighthawk

Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethhardy View Post
They quote you times?
Kenneth, I'll let you know as I sent off an email this afternoon telling Greg that he should be getting the slide by Friday. I'll let you know if I hear anything from them..
Old 04-27-2012, 04:09 PM

The big Brown truck just left...Absolutely magnificient job by NH. Ball cuts are a perfect match and the Dawson green fiber optic and plain black rear serrated are excellent. Greg told me a 3 week turn around and it may have been just three days beyond that. The black nitride is spectacular, even, and black, no question about it. The pistol has returned to me as the day I first received it, better if you can imagine. Total cost to include shipping $288. I'd have to give NH a big 2-thumbs up! Though contact was minimal and the two other requests were't completed. I would add that they were on a second thought after reading about how hard the BN is and the difficulty of having any work done after the finish is applied. Those two request's weren't a deal breaker by any stretch..a bevel on the bottom edge of the slide and french borders. I can certainly live without them.

A lot of threads most recently had left me with a little pause, but unfounded by me. Since getting it in hand, I looked at the underside for any visible gap showing the recoil spring, not a hint. The rear serrations of the sight match the rear slide serrations perfectly. You can't even tell where the extractor is as the serrations blend in perfectly. Tomorrow I'll try and get up a few pic's. The pistol looks stellar, they did an unbelievable job! They did another test fire target and sent it along with the pistol, the accuracy is dead-on, looks like one hole..but you can tell it had to be at least three rounds...Well done NH

I might add since I don't wish for anybody take what I said out of context...In the first sentence of the last paragraph where I mention "unfounded by me" I was saying that me...personally, have no reason by experience and not saying others claims are unfounded! I should've been a little more clear here!

Last edited by jst1mortym; 04-27-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM

YeeeaaaH!!!!! Another happy customer!!!! Sounds great!!!! Have fun and be safe.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:22 PM

Thats great will. Im curious though, you asked for bevel on the bottom and french cuts and they didnt do it? Were they unable to do it?

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Thats great will. Im curious though, you asked for bevel on the bottom and french cuts and they didnt do it? Were they unable to do it?
kenneth, what happened is that once my pistol had already been sent I read some discussion about the difficulty of having work done on a BN'd pistol. I figured it would be now or never so I'd just have NH do everything while it's there. Since it was an afterthought on my part, I rang up Greg and ask him if he could squeeze these two items in while it was already there. He said he'd check if it still could be done and a price per my request. I played phone voicemail and email tag trying to get a hold of him, thats when I found the best way is have the operator locate him. When I did talk to him he was playing catch-up with my requests as he was not in his office at the time. He tried giving me a price off the top of his head without his paperwork in front of him. He was just really guessing and it was late in the afternoon their time so I said I would call back again. At this point it was really sinking in just how busy this guy is, and without the paperwork or his computer in front of him, I'm but 1 of many customers he is dealing with at the same time.

What they did do is exactly as I requested on paper. The afterthought and over the phone request did not get passed on to the smiths and they were just following my paperwork request. My advice for anybody sending them a pistol for upgrades or possible repair, be precise and make yourself copies of your requests, and make sure they receive the instructions and that they are clear. I looked at my paperwork copies and it matches exactly what they did, superbly I might add. And don't expect that any verbal requests over the phone will guarantee that it will in fact be done perfectly as requested...

All said and done, I spoke with Greg over the phone this afternoon and thanked him and requested that he pass that on to those involved with fulfilling my instructions and tell them the work is superbly done. I still have a couple more pistols that need some custom tweaks, and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to send more work their way. I'm pretty confident I've got the system nailed down, and the most effective way to communicate...I will reiterate, they did exactly what I requested on paper..perfectly!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:37 AM

Thats gonna be a hell of a shooter

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Thats gonna be a hell of a shooter
If it isn't, at least it'll look pretty good doing it
Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 AM

We need some pics of this beauty Jst!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette4595 View Post
We need some pics of this beauty Jst!
Thats just what i was thinkin!!!! He said something about pics a couple days ago but i dont think he can put the gun down long enought to pick up a camera
Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 PM

Will you are seriously slacking. I wanna see these pics. Pretty please.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 PM

Sorry folks, don't mean to be putting you off. Had some other things to get done. I'll try tomorrow for sure. I will say this, I think the BN is a pretty nice finish, and sure has the appearance of being much darker than the DB, it actually looks black.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 AM

Thats why I want that finish.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Since we a having some torrential downpours these last 2 days. In a rush while it was clearing up I shot two exposures quickly as the very tiny fine raindrops started falling once again. And sadly, but exposures are way over exposed. I used the cloudy day white balance setting and 400ISO. I'm going to have to do it again using custom white balance....Sorry!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 AM

How about using your phone. Not everything in life needs to be so perfect. Just playing will. I wish I could take camera shots like you. I still am looking for new shoes for my dominator to take yours down a peg. I cant wait to see em.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
How about using your phone. Not everything in life needs to be so perfect. Just playing will. I wish I could take camera shots like you. I still am looking for new shoes for my dominator to take yours down a peg. I cant wait to see em.
kenneth, the pics were really washed out, they both looked like they were shot thru a cotton ball. Today finally the weather looks like it's starting to break up a little so I'll give it another go later..It really isn't anything out of the ordinary, nothing fancy at all though I do like the ball cuts these days.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM

These were taken quickly before it starts to rain again...additionally I had the cat rubbing against my legs down at my feet so they may not be all too clear

Last edited by jst1mortym; 05-01-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 AM

WOW that turned out great!!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goetztrp View Post
WOW that turned out great!!!!!
Thanks goetztrp! The first pic is an absolute match for the black, they did a great job on it!

Last edited by jst1mortym; 05-01-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM

Looks great JST. The ball cuts really make that gun.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette4595 View Post
Looks great JST. The ball cuts really make that gun.
Thanks corvette! When I got a good look at my Wilson with the ball cuts I was sold big time. Though the charcoal blue finish seems to give the appearace of more depth and color contrast in that area, they turned out quite nice with the solid black finish. And honestly, for me, when I look at the slide it actually seems shorter when you have the ball cuts, I like that!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM

One of the nicest I have seen.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 PM

Will,

That turrned out nice and the ball cuts look really good. I'm fure that F/O sight will help as well. The wait was worth it. Enjoy!!

TC
"All right, ramblers, let's get ramblin'."
Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 AM

Thats the best dominator I have ever seen. I have really been thinking about sprucing mine up. Can you recommend a rep at NHC that you dealt with. Once again, wow.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst1mortym View Post
kenneth, what happened is that once my pistol had already been sent I read some discussion about the difficulty of having work done on a BN'd pistol. I figured it would be now or never so I'd just have NH do everything while it's there. Since it was an afterthought on my part, I rang up Greg and ask him if he could squeeze these two items in while it was already there. He said he'd check if it still could be done and a price per my request. I played phone voicemail and email tag trying to get a hold of him, thats when I found the best way is have the operator locate him. When I did talk to him he was playing catch-up with my requests as he was not in his office at the time. He tried giving me a price off the top of his head without his paperwork in front of him. He was just really guessing and it was late in the afternoon their time so I said I would call back again. At this point it was really sinking in just how busy this guy is, and without the paperwork or his computer in front of him, I'm but 1 of many customers he is dealing with at the same time.

What they did do is exactly as I requested on paper. The afterthought and over the phone request did not get passed on to the smiths and they were just following my paperwork request. My advice for anybody sending them a pistol for upgrades or possible repair, be precise and make yourself copies of your requests, and make sure they receive the instructions and that they are clear. I looked at my paperwork copies and it matches exactly what they did, superbly I might add. And don't expect that any verbal requests over the phone will guarantee that it will in fact be done perfectly as requested...

All said and done, I spoke with Greg over the phone this afternoon and thanked him and requested that he pass that on to those involved with fulfilling my instructions and tell them the work is superbly done. I still have a couple more pistols that need some custom tweaks, and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to send more work their way. I'm pretty confident I've got the system nailed down, and the most effective way to communicate...I will reiterate, they did exactly what I requested on paper..perfectly!
Quote:
Thats the best dominator I have ever seen. I have really been thinking about sprucing mine up. Can you recommend a rep at NHC that you dealt with. Once again, wow.
Kenneth, I quoted my own post because of helpful info that you might in the future consider. I believe that This is the best way of getting exactly what you want done and making sure they are clear with your instructions...And no afterthoughts. Greg is one person to deal with but I'll say this, he's a busy guy so have patience when trying to get a hold of him..
Old 05-02-2012, 03:00 PM

Very nice DOMINATOR! Kinda makes me wish i would have went with the ball cuts on my Predator! Yes, I do suffer from "the grass is always greener" syndrome.